All weather tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SilverTurfer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:51 pm I visited my local Tyre dealer today to find out about "N0" tyres and why Porsche insist on them.

Jeff at Tyre Pros in Royston sorted me out.

So now I know, the "N0" is a tyre structure that can take the sideways shear force created by cornering.

A bit dissapointed .... I liked the sound of the
CrossClimate Plus.

So now I'm limited to the Latitude Tours.

Cheers for the tip off.
If you only visit Alpine regions rarely I'd say stick to summer pattern tyres. If you need occasional extra traction in snowy conditions you could use socks.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

simonfisher

Post by simonfisher »

I've recently had all-season Vredestein Quatrac Pro fitted, they have the Alpine mark, are the right size & speed rating (W) and exceed the load rating but are not N0 marked. Vredestein are a long standing Dutch manufacturer, known for their A/S and Winter tyres, not well known in the UK though.

Living in the SE full winter tyres are a bit OTT for me, but we're on top of a hill so often get more frost/ice than lower down & visit relatives in Northumbria and they have better dry and wet braking than a full winter when it's milder. So for me, these A/S tyres are ideal having been launched only in April but already won the Tire Rack test in the US and coming 2nd just behind Michelin CC (which I had on my previous F-Pace) in the Autobild test. They're specifically designed for UHP cars (Quatrac are OEM on the Alfa Stelvio & also VW Tourag I believe) so have the stiffer side blocks for the cornering aspect. I can't tell any handling difference between the Michelin summer tyre that came off (but I'm no James Hunt :roll: ).

Others have raised elsewhere insurance questions, this is a red herring. Insurers have agreed to a commitment with the ABI for this - see https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/winter-tyres/

The Porsche warranty issue is a separate point, but given the warranty terms don't specifically state non-N0 tyres can't be used (as far as I can see), that shouldn't be a high hurdle. I'd orginally agreed with the dealer it would be delivered with CC but when it turned up with standard summer Michelin's they said they don't deliver now with A/S due to EU regs (not that I can find any such regs !!) but didn't demur when I said what I was going on to fit later.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

simonfisher wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm I've recently had all-season Vredestein Quatrac Pro fitted, they have the Alpine mark, are the right size & speed rating (W) and exceed the load rating but are not N0 marked. Vredestein are a long standing Dutch manufacturer, known for their A/S and Winter tyres, not well known in the UK though.

Living in the SE full winter tyres are a bit OTT for me, but we're on top of a hill so often get more frost/ice than lower down & visit relatives in Northumbria and they have better dry and wet braking than a full winter when it's milder. So for me, these A/S tyres are ideal having been launched only in April but already won the Tire Rack test in the US and coming 2nd just behind Michelin CC (which I had on my previous F-Pace) in the Autobild test. They're specifically designed for UHP cars (Quatrac are OEM on the Alfa Stelvio & also VW Tourag I believe) so have the stiffer side blocks for the cornering aspect. I can't tell any handling difference between the Michelin summer tyre that came off (but I'm no James Hunt :roll: ).

Others have raised elsewhere insurance questions, this is a red herring. Insurers have agreed to a commitment with the ABI for this - see https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/winter-tyres/

The Porsche warranty issue is a separate point, but given the warranty terms don't specifically state non-N0 tyres can't be used (as far as I can see), that shouldn't be a high hurdle. I'd orginally agreed with the dealer it would be delivered with CC but when it turned up with standard summer Michelin's they said they don't deliver now with A/S due to EU regs (not that I can find any such regs !!) but didn't demur when I said what I was going on to fit later.
Your link to the abi site refers only to winter tyres, not all seasons. The insurers listed refer to winters and say 'provided in accordance with manufacturers recommendations'. Since Porsche no longer approve all seasons, and the manual states that only tyres approved by Porsche shall be used, you don't comply. I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't take the risk.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

+ 1 :ugeek:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:37 pm+ 1 :ugeek:
❄❄ this article may be of further interest https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/winter-tyres/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2021%20Nov%202019%20Good%20Garages%20Special&utm_content=Newsletter%2021%20Nov%202019%20Good%20Garages%20Special+Version+A+CID_fc5635081a373e8ca628e99e3c277cbd&utm_source=campaign%20monitor&utm_term=Click%20to%20read%20the%20winter%20tyre%20guide
Steve

simonfisher

Post by simonfisher »

Both are good points of course.

I had spoken to my own insurer (Aviva) who said as long as all 4 tyres were the same, it was fine (rightly they didn't want summer and winter/AS mixed) and did not affect the insurance in any way. The 3PSF symbol means they are treated as winter tyres for these purposes.

My Porsche dealer has also now confirmed the following by email - From a Warranty standpoint, Porsche state that the tyres fitted to their vehicle must be manufacturer approved. Whilst having non ‘N Rated’ tyres doesn’t invalidate your Warranty it could affect future Warranty claims if the issue in question is deemed to be caused by the non-approved tyres. It would also cause you a problem when you extend the Warranty at 3 years old because we have to evidence to Porsche the car is still factory standard as part of a Pre Warranty inspection.

Having appropriate tyres for my type and area of driving is more important than an unlikely (hopefully :roll: ) warranty argument which, in every other aspect, meet the Porsche tyre specs but I accept it could give them some wriggle room for claims in certain areas. If I wanted to extend the warranty in 3 years I'd just stick the summers back on that are in the shed :lol:
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

I have finally got round to replacing the tyres on my GTS. They were the factory fitted Michelin Latitude Tour HP's and they've lasted just over 38,000 miles over 3 years but are now getting down to around 3mm and were recommended for replacement at its first MOT. As others have mentioned they are technically a Summer tyre with M+S, but up here in Scotland they have occasionally struggled a bit in the snow and slush. The cold weather performance, coupled with the fact that I couldn't actually find anywhere supplying the Latitude Tour HP's meant I have opted for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde's instead. Still "NO" rated but these are actual All Seasons (with M+S) so hoping they perform a bit better in the cold. I'm not driving the Macan as much these days so can't really justify a separate Winter and Summer set - doing most of my day to day driving in my Tesla Model 3 Performance.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

putt4par

Post by putt4par »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:54 pm
Results are what you would expect in those conditions, what an abrupt end!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Video showing the difference in performance on snow between winter, all season and summer pattern tyres:

Steve