Voice Control

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Does anyone else find the voice control so poor that they don't use it? Clearly it is not an essential and in the scheme of things very minor niggle given all the other positives in my car (Macan S). However, despite following all the guidance instructions it is so painful getting it to do anything correctly. Siri and the Android systems are now so reliable our new expectations for such a tool are much higher and we should expect better when spending over £60 k on a car. Does anyone else have similar problems or do I need to see a voice coach

VanB

Post by VanB »

Never used it as very easy to do anything without it
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

I find it hit and miss tbh. Siri hand held works very well, but when connected to the car it's useless. Try dictating a message using carplay - it hardly recognises any full phrases, whereas in handheld mode it is very accurate. Maybe it's to do with the ambient noise?
Macan S D
718 S
jk88

Post by jk88 »

I generally use the in-built voice control for making phone calls when I need to find someone in the depths of my contact list - for this it seems to work very well and finds the right contact each time. Not used it for anything else so far.
jk882017-04-14 10:41:29
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
R850R

Post by R850R »

Agreed, fairly poor to use.
However, given the difficulty of shutting off the satnav woman when I've got back on familiar roads*, it is useful to yell at her "stop route guidance". She usually does ~ most times.
* No doubt I need to RTFM but if I press the screen icon "Route" whilst driving to stop her, there is about 1 millisecond to hit the cancel icon before it reverts to a split screen and she carries on telling me the route I already know well.
Women eh ?
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I also find the inability to easily mute the satnav a pain. Not sure why it has to be so difficult as I find this a much used function on my £75 Garmin. Funny when I mentioned this to my SE he thought it was an odd request!? I get loyalty to Porsche but they should admit and perhaps feedback to Porsche, when improvements are required. Quirks and different approaches are one thing but annoying operation is another... don't get me going on why the radio comes on every time I switch on the ignition, I have a workaround but again should be uneccessary. Still think the car is great though
R850R

Post by R850R »

"I also find the inability to easily mute the satnav a pain. Not sure why it has to be so difficult...."
Quite !
On my last Audi, you could assign the 'star' button on the steering wheel to mute the satnav. Doesn't seem to be an option on the Macan.
Intra-communication within VAG needs to improve.
.....will await postings telling us how easy it is to do... doh !
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Only use it for making phone calls, and it always works.

My gripe is that when the sat/nav is "talking", the radio/music simply just don't mute at all, something I really appreciate on my BMW.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I also find the inability to easily mute the satnav a pain. Not sure why it has to be so difficult as I find this a much used function on my £75 Garmin. Funny when I mentioned this to my SE he thought it was an odd request!? I get loyalty to Porsche but they should admit and perhaps feedback to Porsche, when improvements are required. Quirks and different approaches are one thing but annoying operation is another... don't get me going on why the radio comes on every time I switch on the ignition, I have a workaround but again should be uneccessary. Still think the car is great though

I have just turned off the sat nav voice. It is too annoying to listen to. But my radio works fine. If it is off when I stop the car it stays off when I next start it and vice versa Ian.g2017-04-14 18:24:20
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Odd? If I switch my radio off it comes back on again when I next turn on ignition.... maybe gremlins