Advice please: fluid levels

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

The first one is engine oil level. The electronic display shows I am about half way between full and needing topped up. Does anyone know roughly how much Mobil No. 1 I could add to bring it back up to 100% ? It's an SD by the way.

Also we are heading up to the north west of Scotland soon and I wonder what I would do if the AdBlue needed filling. When I bought the car the Edinburgh dealer did not supply extra fluid and it will be tricky to find any in Wester Ross. So any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Its usually a litre from min to max re the oil level

When the Adblue light first comes on you've got (from memory) 1000 miles " left" befor you run into troubles, but there's no way I ever found if checking the adblue reservoir - you just wait for the light
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Thanks Paul. That's not bad then, I have done 11000 miles and it appears only used half a litre of engine oil. I wonder if the engine would go into lockdown if the AdBlue was empty ?
Retired

Post by Retired »

Buy a couple of litres of Adblu and take it with you..............
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Yes Retired that is not a bad idea. Have you ever had to re-fill and if so is it easy enough to do? Not sure if it is worth the trip to Edinburgh to get official Porsche Adblue or to just get bog standard from Halfords.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Yes Retired that is not a bad idea. Have you ever had to re-fill and if so is it easy enough to do? Not sure if it is worth the trip to Edinburgh to get official Porsche Adblue or to just get bog standard from Halfords.

Don't have a diesel so haven't done it personally, but it would appear it's only a matter of filling the tank via an adapter that comes with adblue container.

Adblu seems to be available from petrol stations. I assume there is some sort of spec it needs to conform to. Perhaps someone with a diesel could comment.

Halfords / petrol station bound to be cheaper than buying from Porsche!

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure what Porsche recommend for oil. It normally tells you when to add 1 litre so do you wait until you get this message or just top up. You could add 1/4 litre and see how it looks.

For Ad blue you could get Porsche to top it up or just top it up yourself. I added 12 litres recently. Look under Ad blue thread. You could always wait until the car asks you to top up - I think you then have 1500 miles.

Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Wow 12 litres of Adblu. Must be a big tank!
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Adblue tank is 23 litres. When it says it wants filling I think you have to put in a minimum of 5 or possibly more litres for it to register that you have added some. So when it gets to this stage, I don't think 1 or 2 litres will be enough to stop it thinking you have run out. When it runs out, the engine is prevented from starting.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Thanks Paul. That's not bad then, I have done 11000 miles and it appears only used half a litre of engine oil. I wonder if the engine would go into lockdown if the AdBlue was empty ?

As Paul has said, the difference between full and low is 1L. My Cayenne used to have marks at each quarter which made it easier to judge how much to add. You're doing well if you've got to 11k and only used half a litre, my SD had used a full litre (added in stages) by then.

You are now in the range where the car will tell you to "top up AdBlue within 1500 miles". Some forum users got as far as 13k but in my case the warning came up at 11,800. I'd suggest buying a 10L container of AdBlue from Halfords and adding it before your trip. You might even manage to get 20L in. Take care to wash any blowback off the paintwork.

On-Track2017-03-20 13:03:59
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel