Possible R gear fault

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All the reviews I’ve ever read rate the PDK ‘box very highly. But I’ve not driven an Audi auto.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

LTH

Post by LTH »

RS6 has a better box than any PDK I have driven
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

LTH wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:11 pm Had this light up on the MFD. Dealer has been struggling to find the fault as it has disappeared as most people here say.
But unfortunately the gearbox is very clunky when changing down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st at low rpm
(1200 rpm or lower).
Car then got stuck in 2nd. Apparently car has been diagnosed with a “non-present fault recorded within the gearbox ECU”
They are contacting Germany for technical advice.
I have been driving cars for over 30 years. Automatic transmission has evolved rather quickly but the macan gear box is most definitely devolution. Will never get this car again and cancelled order for new car.
Hope you get the problem sorted.
As the OP and 2 years later that message never re appeared. I do believe it was when switching between drive and reverse very quickly on an incline which did it.

I do wonder if your issues may be transfer box related?

I think the PDK is an excellent box and as someone who has driver many Audi’s over time I do prefer the Audi box (S Tronic) slightly (mainly the way you switch into sport mode is just so simple.
But I have found some of the Audi boxes a little jerky moving from 1st to second gear especially in the higher performance models.

Stick with Porsche as from my experience they have been first class. It’s the way the problem is resolved that counts. Hope they deal with it and keep us all posted.
GTS 😀
LTH

Post by LTH »

Agree
It’s how the problem is resolved and getting an email from Porsche to say they need to ask Germany what to do just
doesn’t instill confidence in their ability to resolve the issue.
As said I cancelled a new macan and will think about what to replace this with M5 is appealing but could be big
LTH

Post by LTH »

Ok so my macan gearbox now work well dare I say better than before. Quicker to select R.
A solenoid and the CPU for the gearbox were replaced.
Porsche UK had to call Porsche Germany and ask what to do......
Have noticed some other software differences. All good though.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Just had this on the weekend and went away after restarting the engine...
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

LTH wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:05 pm Hi

I don’t think the macan has a half decent gearbox and this problem is not uncommon in the VW group. Their best box is on the Audi.
Agree, the gearbox is certainly not the Macan’s finest point. I actually feel it’s the software control that is of poor design & not the actual mechanics of the gearbox.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Not had this fault in my Macan, but my previous Cayman S PDK had exactly this. To the point it got stuck in 2nd gear, luckily for me only 1 mile from home. Turned out to be some gearshift solenoid/s needed replacing.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
marcusjames

Post by marcusjames »

My 2018 Macan had this error message last month. OPC asked me to stop driving and call break-down. They had the car for a week and said they couldn't replicate or find a fault code.

A week later the issue returned. Ignition off and on again appears to reset the issue. It is frustrating though. Car returned to OPC but same outcome. The issue returned once or twice a week since.

Jump forward to this week and it's got increasingly more frequent i.e. most of the times I select reverse. The car has gone back yet again and they once again cannot fault it.

My patience has expired. I am now out of ideas!
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

If you are out of warranty try an indie. If you have warranty try another OPC or ask them to refer it to Germany. Let them give you a loaner until they fix it.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6