Detailing and washing your Macan

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Riomacan wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm Avoid supermarket "car wash boss?" at any cost, run away from sponges, chamois leathers and washing in direct sunlight.

Follow the guidance already posted on two-bucket, snow foam process. If you have an on-going issue with the rails, I would seek out a reputable car detailer who will resolve for you.

Hope it comes out OK
And get yourself a water filter kit, like window cleaners use. They are worth the investment, just use them for a final rinse and let it dry naturally. No water spots, swirl marks or scratches.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163663357643
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It is a fair while since I originally started this thread.

Hence thought an update on neigh on five years of bodywork care might be appreciated.

RECAP
I had the Turbo supplied with just the wrap removed and the bodywork checked.

Then home and straight to the Pro Detailer who corrected the paintwork and Gtechniq Exo applied.

UPDATE
Nearly five years later the coating has held up very well with swirl marks being avoided but the neurotic application of snow foam, the two bucket wash method and only softened water used to rinse off the car.

Fallout has been experienced and I use the Gtechnic product that came in the Maintenance kit.

My wash routine does take longer, the main problems are with the Spyders (still my fave rims) but my oh my they are a sod to clean and I usually end up sodden myself. Thank goodness for the Wheel Woolies.

I now then to snow foam the car, leave it 10 minutes, jet wash it off and rinse with softened water

Then I set about cleaning the wheels using the two bucket method, finally rinsing them with softened water.

Then its the bodywork to wash and again rinse with softened water.

I find the the Water Magnet towels work best for drying, simply lay on the body and pat dry.

Then its a case of applying the Exo detailing spray.

Job done.

The ultimate question, would I have a car detailed and a ceramic coating applied, a resounding yes. There is a but, in that I would probably do it myself.

What has changed is my Jet washer, I recently had to buy a new one so went for a more powerful model, it is well worth it in that the snow foam coating is vastly thicker than sticks to the bodywork far better than it did with the old £90 Karcher unit I had.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice to see you on here, Col! Hope you’re well :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:18 pm It is a fair while since I originally started this thread.

Hence thought an update on neigh on five years of bodywork care might be appreciated.

RECAP
I had the Turbo supplied with just the wrap removed and the bodywork checked.

Then home and straight to the Pro Detailer who corrected the paintwork and Gtechniq Exo applied.

UPDATE
Nearly five years later the coating has held up very well with swirl marks being avoided but the neurotic application of snow foam, the two bucket wash method and only softened water used to rinse off the car.

Fallout has been experienced and I use the Gtechnic product that came in the Maintenance kit.

My wash routine does take longer, the main problems are with the Spyders (still my fave rims) but my oh my they are a sod to clean and I usually end up sodden myself. Thank goodness for the Wheel Woolies.

I now then to snow foam the car, leave it 10 minutes, jet wash it off and rinse with softened water

Then I set about cleaning the wheels using the two bucket method, finally rinsing them with softened water.

Then its the bodywork to wash and again rinse with softened water.

I find the the Water Magnet towels work best for drying, simply lay on the body and pat dry.

Then its a case of applying the Exo detailing spray.

Job done.

The ultimate question, would I have a car detailed and a ceramic coating applied, a resounding yes. There is a but, in that I would probably do it myself.

What has changed is my Jet washer, I recently had to buy a new one so went for a more powerful model, it is well worth it in that the snow foam coating is vastly thicker than sticks to the bodywork far better than it did with the old £90 Karcher unit I had.
I would not recommend applying a Ceramic coating yourself unless you have a clean, dry space to allow the Ceramic to cure which takes at least 12hrs and possibly more. I have a friend who tried to DIY his Jag and what a mess it is. A real sod to remove but he has had to get a pro to sort it at ££££. I found Nilfisk washers to be more reliable than Karcher ones myself.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Cheshire Cat

Very valid points
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Any decent ceramic coating is for professional application only. I am a mega keen home detailer but would not consider trying ceramic myself and the outcome when it goes wrong are either it’s such a soft coating that it comes off or it’s so hard and messy it needs a pro to remove it costing £££s as they certainly will out to punish the amateur.
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I have to say, I disagree. I have successfully applied Gtechniq CSL and Evo, Wheel Armour and Clear Vision to mine and my wife's cars without any issue. Yes, I have a garage to let the coatings cure overnight without the fear of rain ruining the finish. The results have been outstanding. My current car had the coatings applied just over 3 years ago and it still beads. If I was keeping the car, I would probably apply another coat of Evo and wheel armour before winter to top it up. I have found if you follow the instructions, be methodical and don't rush, there's no reason why anyone cannot apply ceramic coatings. Don't apply when the bodywork is warm/direct sunlight, cleanse the surface correctly before application, and remove all trace of the product when wiping down.... then wipe down again!

I'll definitely be applying ceramic coatings when my GTS arrives in August ;)
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Ceramic doesn’t cause the beading so how do you know your ceramic costing is effective. It’s whatever you put on top that causes beading and the effect is basically appearance only.

And it’s the prep stage where the paint surface is refined that is equally important for appearances and longevity of the ceramic coating. Again that’s best left to a pro to do a proper preparatory job rather than an amateur with a DA polisher. Really needs a rotary which is not a DIY job.
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

Yes, that's why I applied Evo over CSL to give the beading. I know the ceramic coating is effective, because of the lack of swirl marks usually caused by washing.

I've a Rupes DA polisher and short of getting out a microscope, the results are perfectly adequate for me. Their polishes and pads are superb. Saying 'only a pro' can prepare a surface properly, IMO, is incorrect.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

F1 Nut wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:08 pm Yes, that's why I applied Evo over CSL to give the beading. I know the ceramic coating is effective, because of the lack of swirl marks usually caused by washing.

I've a Rupes DA polisher and short of getting out a microscope, the results are perfectly adequate for me. Their polishes and pads are superb. Saying 'only a pro' can prepare a surface properly, IMO, is incorrect.
I can confirm that it’s the EXO 4 that provides the beading and actually makes the car easier to clean. Final rinse is is a slow running hose and the water just sheets off 👍
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback