Leaking Roof????

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Hi, sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your sunroof. Purchased mine new and I had similar challenges with mine from about the second year of ownership onwards and I only did about 4000 miles a year. I had problems with water gathering in the battery compartment; it caused snags with the c tek charging cable I had attached to the battery. I also had problems with water running down the A pillar and into/past the fuse box as well as on the pax side too.

Initially the usual causes were trotted out, drains blocked, you must park under trees, etc etc. None of which were true. On about the fourth attempt the OPC said that there had been an issue with the “roof cassette “ and that they had fixed the car. By this time the car was coming out of warranty but was still suffering from excessive condensation problems so I was never fully reassured that the issue had been fixed. Solution? Sold the car as I didn’t want to be saddled with an open ended problem and be tied to paying for a warranty with the associated inflated servicing costs at an OPC.

There are a number of threads on here from people with similar issues. Yes, there are probably many more people who have no problems at all with their pano roof. However, I wanted my Macan as a long term keeper and wasn’t prepared to take the risk that the issues would continue. Would I have another Macan? Absolutely. But no pano roof for me on my next vehicle whether Macan or otherwise.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris

Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

I have had similar problems with my Macan SD. Initially leaking into sunroof switch binnacle, then mechanic noted ingress in to boot when fitting a tow bar. Later two episodes of wet driver side floor mat, and now passenger side mat.

Had it back to OPC three times in warranty period -they initially refitted sunroof seals, and applied some mastic to the sunroof channels . They have been unable to reproduce ingress with their rain simulation tests, last undertaken 2 weeks before the warranty expired.

A week after expiry the issue in the passenger foot well started.

Porsche Preston and Porsche UK assert this is a new problem and will not fully honour as a warranty claim!

Preposterous!! Four separate ingress areas seems to me to be to be a design or manufacture problem and I strongly feel let down by both parties. I am in the process of a written rather than phone complaint with PUK - if I get nowhere I'll consider the Ombudsman.

My advice - don't get a sunroof. Bitterly disappointed - promised myself a Porsche before I retired. This has tarnished the whole experience.

I
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

2017 Macan here..... my front driver side drain was blocked and the passenger side 'dripping'. OPC had it in last week & cleared them. The drivers side front was very gunked up.

Not impressed although it's an easy thing to keep on top of.
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
MacanS_2018

Post by MacanS_2018 »

Bought Macan S in Feb 2021 with pan roof. Noticed heavy condensation on inside of front and drivers windscreen around November time. Then in December realised the driver and rear passenger footwell were wet. Called Porsche assist and checked drains - all fine.

Heavy rain last month and wetness now turned to puddles in footwells. Water build up in pan roof area in front of the protector which is soaking too. It's with Porsche now after no availability for 4 weeks (also no loan car either).

Had similar cars with sunroofs before (Q5 and Disco Sport) and never had an issue. Always wanted a Porsche and it's left a bitter taste, not least the poor customer service received so far.

Fingers crossed they will sort it out......!
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

MTUK wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm 2017 Macan here..... my front driver side drain was blocked and the passenger side 'dripping'. OPC had it in last week & cleared them. The drivers side front was very gunked up.

Where do you look to check these yourself?
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

mueslibrown wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm
MTUK wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm 2017 Macan here..... my front driver side drain was blocked and the passenger side 'dripping'. OPC had it in last week & cleared them. The drivers side front was very gunked up.

Where do you look to check these yourself?
Look in the recess at both front corners. There are two holes. Carefully tip water in the holes and it should drop out either side underneath the car. The rear holes can't be seen from the roof. Park the car on a slope ad carefully pour water so it runs to the back of the car. The water should exit out of both rear wheel arches at the bottom. You'll be able to see the rear drains if you lay on the floor and look up in the wheel arch. They sometimes cut the ends of the drain pipes off to stop blockages
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Great thanks for that - add that to my regular routine.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
james718gts

Post by james718gts »

I’m in the process of spec’ing a Macan S and was considering a pan roof. However, this thread has scared the hell out of me! Do any smart folk know of any marked improvement with the gen 3’s pan roof?
Are there any data points on the number that have developed issues? Appreciate it will be affected by a number of factors but are we talking 1%, 10%, 25% that go on to develop issues?
I got the impression from the various comments that this can be helped with regular management. Any views on how onerous this is?
Current: Macan S (PPHWIVP8) and 997.1 C2S
Deposit: M3 Touring, 992.2 Carrera T
Sold: 718 GTS4.0, 987.1 B, 987.2 S C, 718 C, 718 S C, MX-5 RF D
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

james718gts wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:14 pm I’m in the process of spec’ing a Macan S and was considering a pan roof. However, this thread has scared the hell out of me! Do any smart folk know of any marked improvement with the gen 3’s pan roof?
Are there any data points on the number that have developed issues? Appreciate it will be affected by a number of factors but are we talking 1%, 10%, 25% that go on to develop issues?
I got the impression from the various comments that this can be helped with regular management. Any views on how onerous this is?
I have never had a problem (to date!) with water leaks on either of my Macans. I did ask for the drains to be checked at the first service of the SD . But all good.

I live in a rural area with mucky lanes, but never park under trees. Invariably park up on level ground. Never garaged though. Not sure if any of this helps, but as I say, they've been waterproof over 4.5 yrs.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Really does seem to be hit and miss. I did speak to to a couple of POPC mechanics who said it had been more of a problem with Gen 1 cars however I have read of Gen 2 suffering issues. As mentioned the pipes appear to have been widened on later models but the appears to be a joint that can fail half way down that is fairly inaccessible.

With that in mind I didn't spec. I know some people swear by them but I also honestly didn't notice the difference re lighting the cabin in not having one when sat in the front of the car anyways and given the cost and the potentially consequences of a leak didn't bother.

There is also the weight discussion though I can't see how folk would necessarily notice that much either way.

Dealers seem to swear by Pano for resale as well as Bose, another debatable subject, but 25% of Macans dont have panos so clearly they are not a 'must have' so a fair proportion of people dont want them.