Picked up a screw

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Simon9999

Post by Simon9999 »

Hi all,
This morning the Tyre Pressure Warning System informs me that the rear drivers side tyre has lost 10 psi overnight. Sure enough I’ve found a Phillips screw head nestling in the tread. Re-inflated and it held pressure to get me to work (13 miles).
Before I head to Kwikfit - can I get some advice? Pretty sure I’ve read that Porsche won’t counternance a repair, so new tyre (after 4000 miles 😡). No doubt they won’t have a tyre in stock, so how am I placed to get a temporary repair while I wait for stock ? I do have collapsed spare in boot, if required.
Thanks, Simon
Simon

Macan S - June 2023 build
http://www.porsche-code.com/PR5NCS10

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I've had three repaired over 7 years in mine with no issues from the OPC. As long as it's in the centre of the tyre it can be plugged.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

If the screw is in the central 3/4 qtrs of the tread width, then it can be repaired. Also providing that the tip of the screw hasn't damaged the sidewall of the tyre. A reputable tyre dealer will be able to confirm on inspection and removal of the tyre from the rim.

It's usually best to fit a pair of new tyres, of the same make and pattern, if there is more than a 3mm difference in tread depth new to old.

I had a repair done in one of the rear tyres of my SD and that lasted for over a year, with no issue, before getting new tyres all round.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Ideally replace them in pairs but in your circumstances probably not needed. Do buy N rated tyres, don’t buy them from Porsche as they’ll be roughly twice the price. Camskill often keenest prices; some good deals at Costco currently
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Simon9999 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 am Hi all,
This morning the Tyre Pressure Warning System informs me that the rear drivers side tyre has lost 10 psi overnight. Sure enough I’ve found a Phillips screw head nestling in the tread. Re-inflated and it held pressure to get me to work (13 miles).
Before I head to Kwikfit - can I get some advice? Pretty sure I’ve read that Porsche won’t counternance a repair, so new tyre (after 4000 miles 😡). No doubt they won’t have a tyre in stock, so how am I placed to get a temporary repair while I wait for stock ? I do have collapsed spare in boot, if required.
Thanks, Simon
Get the puncture repaired and stop worrying. What are Porsche going to do? Sorry sir but the engine repair won’t be carried out, as in March 2024 you had a puncture repaired. Warranty invalid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Madelvic wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:35 am Ideally replace them in pairs but in your circumstances probably not needed. Do buy N rated tyres, don’t buy them from Porsche as they’ll be roughly twice the price. Camskill often keenest prices; some good deals at Costco currently
Always worth haggling! I agree that the first quote from the OPC can be close to double, but I got them to get very close to Black Circles price for a pair of new front tyres recently! :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I would just get the tyre repaired at kwik fit (or wherever).

As said, if it is near the wall of the tyre they may not repair it either.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Simon9999 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 am ....... sure I’ve read that Porsche won’t counternance a repair, so new tyre (after 4000 miles 😡). No doubt they won’t have a tyre in stock, so how am I placed to get a temporary repair while I wait for stock ? I do have collapsed spare in boot, if required.
Yes, I've heard that mantra too and I suspect an OPC wouldn't actually DO a repair, however, I think the idea is that Porsche build high performance racing machines and, if that's how you use yours, largely on the track and near its limits, then maybe a new tyre is safest but if, like the rest of us you tootle about and rarely near the limits there's no issue about a repair (bearing in mind the wise advice above) it MAY get a comment if spotted when the car goes in for a service but maybe not. Regardless, before you do anything, price up a replacement (after only 4k miles you're not going to need a pair) so Kwik Fit don't blag you with a rip off price!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As above if repairable go to quikfit.

Whilst there ask them for a quote for a new tyre, same make, rating etc as you have fitted. Then you know what to bargain for should you need to get the OPC to supply and fit.

OPC charged £1050 ish for 4 new tyres on my Turbo back in 2022.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Simon9999

Post by Simon9999 »

Many thanks to everyone for the fast replies. Kwikfit too busy this afternoon but booked in first thing tomorrow. They thought should be repairable 🤞 but gave me the story of bloke who picked up a screw in his new M4 on the drive home from dealer pickup.
Simon

Macan S - June 2023 build
http://www.porsche-code.com/PR5NCS10