Reminding myself...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

...why I went for the GTS version.

It must be said that 80% of the time, given I live in central London, a Macan T would easily do everything I need from my car equally well if not better, and an S certainly would. And every now and then I wonder whether I got a bit carried away in the dealership.

But today, I found myself alone in the car on dry, largely empty and well-sighted twisty country roads of the sort Lotus uses to develop its sports cars. The sort where you can be reasonably certain that you won't encounter anything larger than a rabbit without being able to spot it well ahead and that have you twisting the dial to Sport+.

Ah, yes, this was the point. And that a "proper" Porsche would have been even more fun is entirely beside the point, as is the fact that my previous car sounded even better when caned. I am still staggered that a medium-sized SUV with space for five and a decent boot can go quite this hard and handle quite this well, and also make a pretty loud and grin-inducing noise in the process.

There are doubtless other SUVs from Aston, Lambo and Ferrari (and Porsche itself) that may ultimately drive even better and go even harder, but they cost a very great deal more than what is already not a cheap car.

I almost found myself patting it when I got back, much as you might with a faithful dog. Good car.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Have found myself on certain very good back roads, and the Macan just flows. Feels just like a big Hot Hatch.

Was on one yesterday, but had nervous Annie sat next to me. So, the fun was put on hold.

Nothing wrong with patting the steering wheel after a good blast. Do it myself. We as car enthusiasts connect emotionally with cars (as daft as it seams to non car people) and in some ways give our cars personalities.

I’ve always believed that if I look after my car, it’ll look after me. Obviously it’s complete nonsense, but that’s the emotional connection I have with them.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

wab172uk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 am Have found myself on certain very good back roads, and the Macan just flows. Feels just like a big Hot Hatch.

Was on one yesterday, but had nervous Annie sat next to me. So, the fun was put on hold.

Nothing wrong with patting the steering wheel after a good blast. Do it myself. We as car enthusiasts connect emotionally with cars (as daft as it seams to non car people) and in some ways give our cars personalities.

I’ve always believed that if I look after my car, it’ll look after me. Obviously it’s complete nonsense, but that’s the emotional connection I have with them.
+1. “Mr T” and I had fun on some sweeping back roads in the Cotswolds yesterday! Definitely built an emotional connection after 6 years together! 💛
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yup - the GTS really is a machine. I found myself on some roads over Hatfield / St Albans way on the weekend in the morning - had a great little blast. It's the perfect single-car garage. I'm seriously unsure what I'd replace it with if I had too.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

There is nothing more fun than reeling in a hot hatch on a decent country road and seeing the surprised look on there faces as the are unable to get away … especially Golf Rs and Audi S3’s and I’m a lowly MY 23 S on 20’ wheels!
2023 Macan S
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

wab172uk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 am Have found myself on certain very good back roads, and the Macan just flows. Feels just like a big Hot Hatch.

Yes indeed it does - these were the roads around where I grew up and along which I used to punt my Mk2 Golf GTI 16v back in the day, so that was exactly what struck me.

My last two cars (BMW M135i and BMW 440i) were good but didn't flow to quite the same extent and felt nowhere near as well tied down on trickily-cambered B-roads.

And yes, usually my wife is in the car, which unless we are late for something she wants us to be on time for (in which case she miraculously doesn't mind anymore) usually puts a brake on things.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:04 am ........ It's the perfect single-car garage. I'm seriously unsure what I'd replace it with if I had too.
I agree, despite not having gone GTS, but if there WAS a car to "replace" the Macan I would have bought one of those in the first place.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Yorkshire Mac

Post by Yorkshire Mac »

It's posts like this that get me even more excited for my car arriving in June .....
Arriving in June, all being well. Slightly tweaked to now include Bose - https://configurator.porsche.com/en-GB/ ... m=PS4LXHU0
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

IPKnightly2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:03 am There is nothing more fun than reeling in a hot hatch on a decent country road and seeing the surprised look on there faces as the are unable to get away … especially Golf Rs and Audi S3’s and I’m a lowly MY 23 S on 20’ wheels!
I got into a rolling drag race* with a RS4 on a lovely open, straight and freshly tarmacked bit of dual carriage way a few weeks back - he was very surprised when I not only kept up, but starting creeping past! I think the Porsche PDK made the difference there.

*All well within the law of course, officer.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:06 pm
IPKnightly2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:03 am There is nothing more fun than reeling in a hot hatch on a decent country road and seeing the surprised look on there faces as the are unable to get away … especially Golf Rs and Audi S3’s and I’m a lowly MY 23 S on 20’ wheels!
I got into a rolling drag race* with a RS4 on a lovely open, straight and freshly tarmacked bit of dual carriage way a few weeks back - he was very surprised when I not only kept up, but starting creeping past! I think the Porsche PDK made the difference there.

*All well within the law of course, officer.
Same engine and output aren’t they??
I imagine you both needed to back down when you got to 70mph… 😂😂😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0