Macan GTS gen 1/2/3 comparison

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

Sorry if this has been discussed before
I'm currently driving a 2017 GTS and like it
I'm thinking of changing up to the current version but have a few questions about the drive and ride and rather get your real life thoughts
I plan to go and test drive the latest.
I have concerns of the ride on 21" wheels and the air suspension being uncomfortable and stiff, A lot of people have specified reverting to the standard air suspension.
How much more powerful/quick in real world driving is the 440hp over the 380hp gen2 and my 360hp gen1
Is the newer audi sourced 2.9l engine much better than my 3.0l
lastly how many guys are ordering Macan EV's and what will this likely do to values of the GTS's (all gen's)

Martyn

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Can't help you as mine's an S (354hp) but... in view of the Taycan's dismal take up and lack of Ev sales generally I think the Macan EV will similarly flop, as will EVs generally, and so with Macan ICE production halting (or will it?) in 2025 used ICE Macans should hold their value well.

That is until the government finds other ways of forcing us into EVs, such as hiking fuel tax or re-offering EV incentives to all again.

Just my opinion...
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:41 pm Can't help you as mine's an S (354hp) but... in view of the Taycan's dismal take up and lack of Ev sales generally I think the Macan EV will similarly flop, as will EVs generally, and so with Macan ICE production halting (or will it?) in 2025 used ICE Macans should hold their value well.

That is until the government finds other ways of forcing us into EVs, such as hiking fuel tax or re-offering EV incentives to all again.

Just my opinion...
Pretty much agree with this 👆
However I think Macan EV is a handsome thing and watched a video of a guy taking it on a motorway at 70mph in the US and it returned 300 miles!
That’s pretty impressive regardless of whatever the weather is because motorway speeds are where these cars perform at their worst (in terms of range)
Would suggest an easy 400+ range in normal urban use, and that’s more than enough for me - I would only need to charge it once per week!!
Specced one up and waiting for lease costs to come through to put it through as a company car 🤞
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Jon A wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:02 pm
DJMCUK wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:41 pm Can't help you as mine's an S (354hp) but... in view of the Taycan's dismal take up and lack of Ev sales generally I think the Macan EV will similarly flop, as will EVs generally, and so with Macan ICE production halting (or will it?) in 2025 used ICE Macans should hold their value well.

Just my opinion...
Pretty much agree with this 👆
However I think Macan EV is a handsome thing and watched a video of a guy taking it on a motorway at 70mph in the US and it returned 300 miles!
That’s pretty impressive regardless of whatever the weather is because motorway speeds are where these cars perform at their worst (in terms of range)
Would suggest an easy 400+ range in normal urban use, and that’s more than enough for me - I would only need to charge it once per week!!
Specced one up and waiting for lease costs to come through to put it through as a company car 🤞
Yeah, it's the "company car user buys EV' situation which has mainly accounted for Ev sales. I get that. But for us mere mortals it just doesn't add up, well at least the vast depreciation doesn't. Nor does the range anxiety everyone seems to suffer from and the crap infrastructure for a lot of folks without a drive of their own. Give me a £40k Ev which does 800 miles and isn't a bouncing barge and I might be more interested.
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Mogster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:15 pm Sorry if this has been discussed before
I'm currently driving a 2017 GTS and like it
I'm thinking of changing up to the current version but have a few questions about the drive and ride and rather get your real life thoughts
I plan to go and test drive the latest.
I have concerns of the ride on 21" wheels and the air suspension being uncomfortable and stiff, A lot of people have specified reverting to the standard air suspension.
How much more powerful/quick in real world driving is the 440hp over the 380hp gen2 and my 360hp gen1
Is the newer audi sourced 2.9l engine much better than my 3.0l
lastly how many guys are ordering Macan EV's and what will this likely do to values of the GTS's (all gen's)

Martyn
Not directly comparable, but I moved from a Gen 1 Turbo on non-air and 20 inch wheels to my GTS with the GTS air suspension and 21 inch wheels. Your GTS will have slightly firmer suspension than my Turbo.

My old Turbo definitely had a more comfortable ride, but how much of that was due to the GTS vs standard suspension, 20 vs 21 wheels or the all season vs sporty summer tyres I really don’t know. What I will say is that the Gen 3 GTS is still a comfortable car IMO. But I’ve spent the last 20 years in M or M Sport BMWs, sporty Audis and Minis, so my benchmarks from a comfort perspective are not great. Ultimately you need to test drive yourself.

On the engine, I don’t think there was much difference day to day between the 400bhp of my Gen 1 turbo vs the GTS, but I think there is a bit more at the top end on the Gen 3 if you use the revs towards the red-line. But given there is an 80 bhp difference between your car and the Gen 3 GTS, it would be surprising if you don’t notice a difference.

On the depreciation vs the Macan EV, it’s a bit of crystal ball gazing, but given battery technology in EVs is likely to continue to improve at some pace, I would have thought a late 2024 Macan GTS will depreciate a lot less than a similar priced 2024 Macan EV.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

Thanks for all your thoughts, much appreciated
I will definately be test driving the latest GTS before making my mind up and EV will not be an option!
I'd like to think that there will be plenty of Macan owners swapping to the latest and greatest EV Macan and good availability of late Macan GTS's from trade ins

Martyn
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

I don't think buyers of the GTS variant are necessarily the same constituency of people who'd go for the electric version.

If you just want a comfy fast Macan, then the S is definitely all the car you need. For lots of people the T will suffice.

I only test-drove a 2018 GTS before buying my 2023 GTS, but having liked the 2018 GTS a lot (and more than the 2018 Turbo and 2021 S I tried as well), I couldn't see how I wasn't going to like the latest version of the GTS.

I did go for the "normal" air suspension though and have no complaints about the ride quality. It's much better on 21"s (Satin Platinum GT design) than our Mini Cooper is on 17"s!
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I'm relatively well placed to compare as I've had all three Gen 1 models.
Mogster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:15 pm I have concerns of the ride on 21" wheels and the air suspension being uncomfortable and stiff, A lot of people have specified reverting to the standard air suspension.
In terms of comfort, from best to worst:
1. Macan II - 20" wheels with air
2. Macan I - 20" wheels with steel
3. Macan III - 21" wheels with air - defacto (lowered) GTS setup

I'd guess the reason Porsche offers the 'standard' air suspension as an option on the latest GTS is because it knows the defacto setup is not as comfortable as previous models were.
Mogster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:15 pm How much more powerful/quick in real world driving is the 440hp over the 380hp gen2 and my 360hp gen1
Frankly, I haven't noticed much difference. How fast do you need your car to be? Matt from Car Wow might notice a difference, but not me!
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
crockers

Post by crockers »

Plenty of reviews on internet of the S v GTS. Spec both up on the confuserator then ask yourself is it worth the extra. Then drive both. If the S has air then you can compare the 2 different settings.
My T had a GTS setup and air on 20" wheels. My S has air on 21" wheels. I prefer the S setup. But then I don't hoon it round corners.

Currently on 19" winters and that's a bit too soft. But grateful today as I drove through a hail storm which dropped the temperature from 8C to 2C
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

If you like it, why waste money in changing?