What a tool.............. (new vehicle, as requested)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I realise that the title of this missive could be interpreted in two ways. Either it refers to me for purchasing an EV (with my own money) or it confers adulation on the vehicle in question. The former will be proven or not over the course of the next three years as market forces exert their influence on the vehicle market; the latter will be confirmed over the course of the next few days and weeks as the Taycan 4S Cross Turismo exposes its charms, abilities and no doubt, foibles.
My Macan S has/had been with me for 6 wonderful years, with a spec that was ideal for me, including (among others) Bose, Sport+, Pan Roof, full leather, 12 ways and 21” Sport Classics. I had no real need to change vehicle but had experienced a desire for a change as no other vehicle had stayed with me for so long. My circumstances have changed and most journeys are now fairly short and longer trips tend to be of 200 miles, so EV was a real possibility as there would be no warm up issues for nipping down to the shops when it is pouring down. Consequently Mrs Ben and I considered changing to the equivalent of the ‘Honda Jazz’. Everything we considered didn’t really ‘do it’ so the status quo maintained. Not an issue the Macan is an amazing machine.
Enter the service loan car – a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo. Somewhat overwhelmed with its abilities on the drive home. Quick – tick: Quiet – tick: Comfortable – tick: Desirable – tick: Capable – tick: Attractive – a bit Marmite in places if I am brutally honest………….but I like Marmite. As covered in ‘Farewell and Adieu’; does Mrs Ben fit – tick.
A discussion follows, in which issues such as; do we want to spent the Niece’s and Nephew’s inheritance, do we really want one, can we afford it and do we want to spend the money, is electric the way to go now, etc. I am sure you are all aware of the process. Anyway, the result is the subject of today’s essay, not the GTS – Mrs Ben stuck to the Race Tex seats like demented Velcro and effectively stayed in the first position in which she contacted the seat. I know, I shouldn’t smile…
Enter the 4S Cross Turismo. Quicker than you need, in everyday use,but smile inducing – especially the ‘in gear equivalent’ acceleration. Accommodation is even more luxurious than the Macan and has a brilliant ambiance. Bose delivery is much better than the Macan, but the lack of ‘jukebox storage’ on the PCM may provide me with an issue as I shall have to use a USB thumb drive. Another negative is the lack of fart, crackle and pop from a twin turbo V6 when starting from cold or pressing on through the gears. Strangely, despite too long a history with ICE of all types over too many years, that yearning has dissipated quite rapidly.
The tech list is extensive and reading about it makes your head spin but experience of physical interaction will, I hope, simplify matters. The ability to program in the location of local/regular speed humps and have the chassis raise itself automatically on approach is impressive. In truth, I suspect it is capable of many more functions than anyone would ever use, but I am sure I shall get pleasure out of experimenting with its capabilities almost as much as I will get driving it. As I have mentioned before, I enjoy the challenge of technical change and new development and would never forgive myself if I did not experience it. I know 2035 is a long way off and that ICE will be around for probably 15 to 20 years after that but I won’t……………………………………..probably……………..
Yes, it is electric. Yes, I have reservations regarding charging – I have no wall box etc. as this was not a pre-planned exercise; obviously this will be resolved in short order. Is it the right thing to do? We think so – as our last ‘Hurrah’ before Honda Jazzdom beckons. If/when the bath is forthcoming it may not be too cold as the incentive was significant and it will be far enough down the road to be palatable. Besides, the car is impressive. Do we need it? No. Would we like it as present to ourselves to enjoy? Yes Reminder to oneself; ‘cancel the Ford Explorer reservation’.
Initial reaction is overwhelmingly positive. What a tool...........................

Specification comparison/highlights
• No electric column adjustment – a victim of the chip shortage. Only me driving so shouldn’t be an issue, but I liked having it on the Macan and perversely find it a retrograde step.
• No Sport Plus – not an issue. I have it on the Macan and have rarely used it. I have never used the Lap Counter. I has the Compass on the dash so looks nice
• Bose
• Extended leather
• Pan Roof
• 21” Wheels
• 18 Way seats
• Heated wheel – don’t know whether I like this or not
• Greater ability to adjust temperature in different parts of the vehicle
• PDLS+
• Some other stuff
Gratuitous photo shoot…………….

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

2japs

Post by 2japs »

Nice post and I like the wheels 😊

Enjoy the change of direction 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
GTB

Post by GTB »

bennachie,

Congratulations!! not only on the new car for yourself and Mrs Ben and I wish you many happy and safe and trouble free miles in the new car.
Also appreaciate your honesty on the decision making process and your thoughts on the switch from the "Light" to the "Dark" side, Im sure like all things in life and anything new their will be positives and negatives, after all "Perfection" doesnt exist.

You obviously had a commitment and love of the Macan, but like an old girlfriend, she is just now a memory, so enjoy the new love of your life.

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Well done. Had a brand new one on loan a month ago and an extended drive in another a week ago. Drove really well, arguably better than my Macan. Ride in our potholled roads (2nd worst city in the uk) was amazing. Quick too. Range my main concer
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Fantastic car Ben many congratulations!
Please do continue to post your thoughts for those of us genuinely interested in these EV’s especially the gorgeous ones like yours! 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Good for you! #yolo

I had a Taycan loaner and also loved it. If / when charging is easier for long journeys I will go electric too
estymasko

Post by estymasko »

Looks amazing! Enjoy!!
2024 Porsche Taycan 4S sport turismo
2022 Porsche Macan S
2022 Audi S5 Sportback
2019 Porsche 718 Cayman
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2016 Audi TT
andreas

Post by andreas »

Excellent! Lovely car and I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it. Be interesting to learn whether you bought or leased/PCP. Also which electricity tariff you choose for home charging.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

The sport- tourism is stunning and I wish you many happy miles.
My business partner, a fellow petrolhead, has just swapped his BMW M4 for an £80k I5 M Sport. Contract hire is £700 pm including maintenance. Put through the business, his car tax is around £40 a month. The incentive to move to EV, particularly as a business owner, is staggering.
Quite tempted to look at an EV next year as a change from my Cayenne (which I love). But I have a regular journey of 500 miles return which I can currently do on one tank and I really don’t fancy an EV until the ranges increase significantly. I run 2 EVs for local stuff though and they are fabulous.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Congratulations! Nice car!
Be good if you pop back to this thread in a couple of months with a summary of your experience