Different Tyres Fromt & Rear? Problem?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Just found a nasty big screw in the outside part of a rear tyre on my Gen 3 Macan S which means it can’t be repaired.

A quick ride up and down the road confirms the pressure has dropped materially and looks like I’ll be needing a replacement.

The car is currently shod with Pirelli P Zeros which look like they’re around £275-£285 to replace.

Alternatively I could get Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric F3’s for £225 including 10% off if I buy two tyres.

Having just had a 2 year service where the only advisory was that the rear tyres required renewing makes me think I could get both done and save some money .

Appreciate it’s a poor choice to change one tyre for a different brand but would it really matter as long as the tyres on the same (rear) axle.

Interested to know if anyone has done this or has a strong opinion either way.

Cheers.

IMG_0156.jpeg

Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches

RGS

Post by RGS »

If you have already been advised to replace the rear tyres it's a no brainer, I personally would not mix the tyres for a different make but stick to the N rated Pirelli's
Iceicebaby

Post by Iceicebaby »

My experience with Goodyear’s ( albeit they are on my van ) are that they are a very soft compound so you will get less mileage out of them?
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

You could get that repaired, it's not in the sidewall. Looks like a self tapper, normally not very long .
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

If you decide to sell it, different tyres will depreciate the car more than the additional cost of the P tyres.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:49 am You could get that repaired, it's not in the sidewall. Looks like a self tapper, normally not very long .
This not repairable, it is too close to the sidewall. Repairs to punctures like this can only be done in the central three quarters of the width of the tyre.

To the OP, if money is an issue replace both with the Goodyears. Normally I would stick with the same brand when replacing a pair but I prefer Michelin so would be aiming to end up with those all round on a car that is a keeper.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
crockers

Post by crockers »

How much tread left on the fronts ?
SimonH146

Post by SimonH146 »

Have you tried e+tyres? Currently quoting £252.99 per tyre, fitted for Pirelli’s. Relatively small premium over Goodyear is worth it to not mix types and also have better rolling resistance and wet performance in my opinion.

IMG_0578.jpeg

Now - Macan Turbo (MY20), Mamba Green/High Gloss Black :D
Cancelled due to COVID redundancy :-( - Macan S, Silver
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If you've already been advised to replace the rears by your OPC, it's likely that just replacing one tyre would result in too big a tread depth difference across the axle. Porsche recommends changing both tyres if there is more than 10% wear (you might need to check the manual to see if that figure is correct).

You haven't mentioned the mileage of your car or the actual tread depth on the two rear tyres. Most OPCs will recomment change if there is less than 4mm tread remaining. If you're happy with the performance of the Pirellis (grip, noise and wear rate), I'd stick with them.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Isn't it necessary to look at the difference between the two rear tyre tread depth? IIRC the difference has to be less than 30% or both have to be replaced.... is that to stop transfer box or differential damage?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP