Car Insurance ( Again)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
RGS

Post by RGS »

Had a shock this morning from my insurer "Direct line" to say they would not offer to renew my policy. When I enquired why, they said my vehicle (Gen 2 Turbo) does not comply with their criteria, plus no doubt my age ( just turned 79), although that wasn't mentioned. I did say it wasn't a JLR and didn't have keyless entry, but after 62 years of claim free motoring and a clean licence it came as a shock.

A bit of shopping around and I came up with M&S who offered their superior fully-comprehensive insurance just a fraction under £1K at the best price on the web for me.

It's no fun getting old !

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Seems a bit unfair to refuse to renew especially after years of claim free motoring.

More rubbish service :roll: :roll: :roll:
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

RGS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:11 pm Had a shock this morning from my insurer "Direct line" to say they would not offer to renew my policy. When I enquired why, they said my vehicle (Gen 2 Turbo) does not comply with their criteria, plus no doubt my age ( just turned 79), although that wasn't mentioned. I did say it wasn't a JLR and didn't have keyless entry, but after 62 years of claim free motoring and a clean licence it came as a shock.

A bit of shopping around and I came up with M&S who offered their superior fully-comprehensive insurance just a fraction under £1K at the best price on the web for me.

Where do you live?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Damn it, mine is exactly a month off its renewal date.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

We all also having to pay for the high cost to repair an EV 😉
Macan S MY 2023
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:13 pm Damn it, mine is exactly a month off its renewal date.
According to Martin Lewis 21 days in advance is the optimum time to get renewal quotes. Clear your diary and be ready to pounce!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

RGS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:11 pm Had a shock this morning from my insurer "Direct line" to say they would not offer to renew my policy. When I enquired why, they said my vehicle (Gen 2 Turbo) does not comply with their criteria, plus no doubt my age ( just turned 79), although that wasn't mentioned. I did say it wasn't a JLR and didn't have keyless entry, but after 62 years of claim free motoring and a clean licence it came as a shock.

I'm also with Direct Line and will be 79 when the policy comes up for renewal in August. How old is your car? Mine was three years old when I joined Direct Line and will be four in August.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
RGS

Post by RGS »

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:28 pm

Where do you live?
I live in Cambridgeshire, well away from city centres and not in a place where car theft is a problem. I have just paid my final luxury car surplus (£570) on my road fund licence so it should revert to £180. This year I believe it will be £645, so what I save on road tax will pay for insurance increase.
RGS

Post by RGS »

On-Track wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:26 pm

I'm also with Direct Line and will be 79 when the policy comes up for renewal in August. How old is your car? Mine was three years old when I joined Direct Line and will be four in August.
Mine is just over 4 years old
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I have long been of the understanding that even with a good driving record, reaching “80” triggered the step change in premiums. Lifted this extract from Martin Lewis site.

“But – barring a history of claims or poor driving – car insurance tends to reduce in price over time as the driver becomes more experienced and (hopefully) builds a higher no-claims discount. Yet as you reach 80+, this goes in to reverse, and your insurance then typically starts getting more expensive again. The rationale is that older drivers aged 80+ tend to be in more accidents.”

Not sure that the rationale is supported by actual claim statistics? See the full article here:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insur ... insurance/
Last edited by MikeM on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6