Turbo Lag on Diesel Engined Macan

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
porscherap

Post by porscherap »

My understanding is that the twin turbo set-up is x2 turbos, linked in series with a control flap, with one programmed to alleviate lag at lower revs (below) 2000rpm.
However my Macan seems to drag its feet when trying to pull away briskly. Above 2000rpm it flies!
Is this normal or do I have a potential issue with one of the turbos?
Robin.
2017 Macan S Diesel.
Happiness should be a place called Porsche...

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

porscherap wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am My understanding is that the twin turbo set-up is x2 turbos, linked in series with a control flap, with one programmed to alleviate lag at lower revs (below) 2000rpm.
However my Macan seems to drag its feet when trying to pull away briskly. Above 2000rpm it flies!
Have the system reset, drive like Miss Daisy and it learns that mode, resetting will liven up the engine and gearbox characteristics.

Then only use the Comfort setting when cruising, set in Sport mode at all other times.

One SD I tested prior to buying was terrible, foot to floor on the go pedal, wait a second then it took off, the lad was horrendous.

My own SD was sluggish in Comfort mode from the off, I always ran it in Sport.

Did not like the way the high speed performance of an SD dropped off a cliff so I ordered a Turbo.

I have always maintained that the SD should have had the same characteristics as a Beamer 35D engine, I’d still be driving my SD if it did.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

cut out the air box and fit a free flow filter, after that try a TDI chip
porscherap

Post by porscherap »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:53 am
porscherap wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am My understanding is that the twin turbo set-up is x2 turbos, linked in series with a control flap, with one programmed to alleviate lag at lower revs (below) 2000rpm.
Have the system reset, drive like Miss Daisy and it learns that mode, resetting will liven up the engine and gearbox characteristics.

Then only use the Comfort setting when cruising, set in Sport mode at all other times.

One SD I tested prior to buying was terrible, foot to floor on the go pedal, wait a second then it took off, the lad was horrendous.

My own SD was sluggish in Comfort mode from the off, I always ran it in Sport.

Did not like the way the high speed performance of an SD dropped off a cliff so I ordered a Turbo.

I have always maintained that the SD should have had the same characteristics as a Beamer 35D engine, I’d still be driving my SD if it did.
Thanks Col, yes that sounds reasonable.
Robin.
2017 Macan S Diesel.
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

The SD is single, variable vane turbo
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:53 am
Same here. My wife really didn't gel with the young salesman.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

DJMCUK wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:43 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:53 am One SD I tested prior to buying was terrible, foot to floor on the go pedal, wait a second then it took off, the lad was horrendous.
Same here. My wife really didn't gel with the young salesman.
I'm now quite proud of myself having managed to resist that :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

In take off from standstill there was always a lag. I put that down to transmission programming as much as the engine. It could be a real pain taking off at roundabouts.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
porscherap

Post by porscherap »

bobajob wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:51 pm The SD is single, variable vane turbo
Well that was a shock. How embarrassing. I honestly thought the diesel engine was a twin-turbo. That'll explain the lag then!

So the next question is I guess, I wonder if the Diesel ECU(s) have self-learning to help overcome the lag and gear-changing programming.
Robin.
2017 Macan S Diesel.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

porscherap wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:34 am
bobajob wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:51 pm The SD is single, variable vane turbo
Well that was a shock. How embarrassing. I honestly thought the diesel engine was a twin-turbo. That'll explain the lag then!

So the next question is I guess, I wonder if the Diesel ECU(s) have self-learning to help overcome the lag and gear-changing programming.
Have you tried a PDK reset? See this topic for how to do it......

viewtopic.php?t=13578

I used to put my SD in Sport for more rapid get aways too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver