Sod's law and the weather.

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

In the first pic you can see the rain on its way! :lol:

But it is a bit of a lottery finding a window in the weather. I managed to wash the Defender on Monday and the 911 today but polishing will have to wait. Will be cowering indoors tomorrow as Storm Ciaran rages…..
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:01 pm In the first pic you can see the rain on its way! :lol:

But it is a bit of a lottery finding a window in the weather. I managed to wash the Defender on Monday and the 911 today but polishing will have to wait. Will be cowering indoors tomorrow as Storm Ciaran rages…..
I would expect you to take that Defender into the teeth of it shouting “c’mon then” 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:38 pm I have to admit that I actually like cleaning the car , I find it very relaxing & satisfying and now that I'm fully retired , spending a few days cleaning the car beats watching daytime TV hands down.
Same here, before retirement I had little appetite or time for washing car or gardening, luckily I had company cars so mainly carwash, now I enjoy both, just need more good weather which we don’t get so much of up north.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:38 pm I have to admit that I actually like cleaning the car , I find it very relaxing & satisfying and now that I'm fully retired , spending a few days cleaning the car beats watching daytime TV hands down.
Completely random question. How are you finding being retired? I'm just thinking about what it might look like in a few years. Think I'd enjoy getting up late and then fussing about the cars while my wife rolls her eyes
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 pm
Completely random question. How are you finding being retired? I'm just thinking about what it might look like in a few years. Think I'd enjoy getting up late and then fussing about the cars while my wife rolls her eyes
My wife retired in 2010 to look after our first grandson, I decided to retire in 2014 ( I was 62 ) as there were now 2 grandsons . The company I worked for offered me a new Admin job for one day a week which I accepted and did it for 8 years finally retiring in August 2022.
So during the past 9 years , as well as working one day, I've taken/picked up the two grandsons from creche and primary school , changed nappies, played with toys and played soccer,cricket and numerous other games between 3.30pm (end of school day) and about 6.30pm when their parents picked them up.
To anybody on here who gets the opportunity to look after their grandchildren - grab it with both hands - most pleasurable time because you've GOT the time , which is totally different to bringing up your own children when work and other matters give very little spare time. It wasn't without it's small problems but well worth it.
Working for one day a week was also a big plus as I still got to use my brain and still be under some stress at times.
Both my grandsons are now in comprehensive and I don't work any more but I've still managed to keep busy this year, you get the odd day when i think "what am I going to do today" but not very often.
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:21 pm
FirstSeaLord wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 pm
My wife retired in 2010 to look after our first grandson, I decided to retire in 2014 ( I was 62 ) as there were now 2 grandsons . The company I worked for offered me a new Admin job for one day a week which I accepted and did it for 8 years finally retiring in August 2022.
So during the past 9 years , as well as working one day, I've taken/picked up the two grandsons from creche and primary school , changed nappies, played with toys and played soccer,cricket and numerous other games between 3.30pm (end of school day) and about 6.30pm when their parents picked them up.
To anybody on here who gets the opportunity to look after their grandchildren - grab it with both hands - most pleasurable time because you've GOT the time , which is totally different to bringing up your own children when work and other matters give very little spare time. It wasn't without it's small problems but well worth it.
Working for one day a week was also a big plus as I still got to use my brain and still be under some stress at times.
Both my grandsons are now in comprehensive and I don't work any more but I've still managed to keep busy this year, you get the odd day when i think "what am I going to do today" but not very often.
Thank you. That really helps. The wife's employer has just gone bust so we're thinking about options, and how things will play out in future. Appreciate the context as such a different lifestyle is hard to imagine (literally)
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
DRW

Post by DRW »

Use a leaf blower and blow it dry, if it's polished it will just bead off.

DRW
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

DRW wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:51 pm Use a leaf blower and blow it dry, if it's polished it will just bead off.

DRW
Got my "big blue" microfibre out and the car was dry and shiny again in 30 mins,
I have thought about getting a car dryer but I need the exercise .
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

+1 To that. I too think it's very satisfying to wash and wax the car. And not bad for a good excersise too.
When in the motor trade, most of the engineers were car nuts, while some were not. And if those that were not, saw you with a sparklingly clean car, or saw it being polished, they would say, "Does that make it go faster" I would reply, I'll let you know when I've driven it. :lol: :lol:
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

TheTraveller wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:47 pm
+1 To that. I too think it's very satisfying to wash and wax the car. And not bad for a good excersise too.
When in the motor trade, most of the engineers were car nuts, while some were not. And if those that were not, saw you with a sparklingly clean car, or saw it being polished, they would say, "Does that make it go faster" I would reply, I'll let you know when I've driven it. :lol: :lol:
The answer would have to be yes, less friction with the air and so less wind resistance. Same reason folk wax skis and surfboards, not to mention clean the barnacles off boats. Somewhat less of a noticeable difference for a clean car to be fair..
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP