Tyre question for Steve

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Steve - do you mind giving me your pov on something?

My Macan came back from some recall work yesterday and just as the driver was handing the car over I noticed a large screw in one of the front tyres. The driver called the OPC who reckoned that it was picked up on the way back as they checked the tyres before it left. I thought there'd be some hassle but they offered to put a new tyre on FOC and have taken the Macan back to do it today. Pretty good I thought, esp as it could have been repaired as it was in the middle of the tread.

I asked them whether they thought both fronts should be changed, not mentioning who might pay, and they said that as the fronts had c.6mm then the other front one didn't need replacing.

What's your view?

I'm thinking play safe and change it at my cost, but if you think that's not necessary I'll hang on. Thanks in advance for your perspective. Appreciate it.
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

thought if more than 10% differance tyre shoud be changed
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

I don't know as am not an expert, but know that balancing across an axel is highly recommended.

Would definitely value Steve's pov as he has decades of experience in the tyre industry
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It’s not necessary to replace both tyres. As you’ll see in the manual, Porsche only recommend replacement if there is more than 30% wear difference across the two tyres on the same axle. The new tyre should be the same make and spec as the other one. Having said that, Porsche ultimate advice would be to replace both to ‘avoid unnecessary influence on vehicle handling’, but that’s typical for Porsche.

While Porsche do not recommend repair, it’s perfectly acceptable to repair a tyre if the penetration is not close to a sidewall and as long as the repair method meets British Standards.
Last edited by Nuclear Nick on Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Thanks Nick. Very useful
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:58 am It’s not necessary to replace both tyres. As you’ll see in the manual, Porsche only recommend replacement if there is more than 30% wear difference across the two tyres on the same axle. The new tyre should be the same make and spec as the other one. Having said that, Porsche ultimate advice would be to replace both to ‘avoid unnecessary influence on vehicle handling’, but that’s typical for Porsche.

While Porsche do not recommend repair, it’s perfectly acceptable to repair a tyre if the penetration is not close to a sidewall and as long as the repair method meets British Standards.
Totally agree with Nick.

Depending on the make and pattern - the new tyre will have 8mm tread depth. So your punctured tyre has circa 75% remaining. Assuming both tyres have worn evenly, then no need to replace the pair.

Ask your OPC to let you keep the punctured tyre, if it's repairable and you have room to store it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:49 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:58 am It’s not necessary to replace both tyres. As you’ll see in the manual, Porsche only recommend replacement if there is more than 30% wear difference across the two tyres on the same axle. The new tyre should be the same make and spec as the other one. Having said that, Porsche ultimate advice would be to replace both to ‘avoid unnecessary influence on vehicle handling’, but that’s typical for Porsche.

Totally agree with Nick.

Depending on the make and pattern - the new tyre will have 8mm tread depth. So your punctured tyre has circa 75% remaining. Assuming both tyres have worn evenly, then no need to replace the pair.

Ask your OPC to let you keep the punctured tyre, if it's repairable and you have room to store it.
Fantastic. Many thanks indeed. Good thought re keeping the punctured tyre. Calling OPC now
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

[/quote]

Totally agree with Nick.

[/quote]

Unfortunately my new 21” P-Zero’s for the rear only came with 6.5mm, which didn’t impress me.

Jim