Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Toddie wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:06 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:33 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:19 pm
:?:
Read all about it here:

https://www.porsche.com/international/a ... rts/tyres/

:o :geek:
Full of marketing hype. If N rated tyres are so special and only suit a Porsche why are they not twice the price of the equivalent non N. Why doesn't a Porsche fail it's MOT with non N. How come the same N rated tyre can be fitted to any Macan from base to GTS?

FUD is still alive and the marketing tool of choice.

I went to a talk by a Pirelli tyre technician that was organised by PCGB for members where we were shown cross sections of the tyre construction of N rated & non N rated tyres, and there was a massive difference in the stiffness / construction of tyres sidewalls etc. The technician said the N rated tyres were built by Pirelli to Porsche specification then exhaustively tested until correct spec approved by both parties.
Thanks. Good to have the facts. But I'm surprised they don't charge a premium, they do on everything else,
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:19 pm
:?:
Read all about it here:

https://www.porsche.com/international/a ... rts/tyres/

:o :geek:
Full of marketing hype. If N rated tyres are so special and only suit a Porsche why are they not twice the price of the equivalent non N. Why doesn't a Porsche fail it's MOT with non N. How come the same N rated tyre can be fitted to any Macan from base to GTS?

I went to a talk by a Pirelli tyre technician that was organised by PCGB for members where we were shown cross sections of the tyre construction of N rated & non N rated tyres, and there was a massive difference in the stiffness / construction of tyres sidewalls etc. The technician said the N rated tyres were built by Pirelli to Porsche specification then exhaustively tested until correct spec approved by both parties.
…so I’m just hearing that the car could be more comfortable with a properly speed rated but non N rated tyre…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jon A wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:27 pm

…so I’m just hearing that the car could be more comfortable with a properly speed rated but non N rated tyre…
He didn’t say the N rated were the stiffer ones…….

And I’m hearing that you’re having comfort issues with your 992 Jon? By nature these cars are a stiff ride but I think you get used to it over time. No doubt you have the tyres at the comfort pressures. I found switching from Pirelli to Michelin improved the ride and the M’s are slightly quieter as well as having a more pleasant, less ‘harsh’ noise.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:12 am

And I’m hearing that you’re having comfort issues with your 992 Jon? By nature these cars are a stiff ride but I think you get used to it over time. No doubt you have the tyres at the comfort pressures. I found switching from Pirelli to Michelin improved the ride and the M’s are slightly quieter as well as having a more pleasant, less ‘harsh’ noise.
You’re right he didn’t but I did read separately that the N are stiffer sidewalls 🤔
Comfort in 992 is good and just a case of adjustment from air sprung Macan to 911 😂
Definitely will swap to Michelin when time comes - overall the car is making a fab daily, which was a risk when I bought it, but am so impressed how easy it is to live with actually- just an extraordinarily capable fast car 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jon A wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:12 am

You’re right he didn’t but I did read separately that the N are stiffer sidewalls 🤔
Comfort in 992 is good and just a case of adjustment from air sprung Macan to 911 😂
Definitely will swap to Michelin when time comes - overall the car is making a fab daily, which was a risk when I bought it, but am so impressed how easy it is to live with actually- just an extraordinarily capable fast car 👍
Yes, I was a bit tongue in cheek re the sidewalls. Great that you’re enjoying it, they have to be experienced to understand what fabulous cars they are.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Got a puncture on my rear nearside tyre this week on my 22 plate Macan S.
Took the wheel off and fitted spare and dropped the wheel/tyre into my local garage i have used for over cars in past.
They took screw out, drilled tyre to 6mm hole and plugged it, as screw was in tread and tyre is only half worn, £20 inc VAT.
While I was there I asked for prices of new tyres (fitted)

Pirelli Zero N0 rated 265 width for rear £235
Pirelli Zero N0 rated 235 width for front £265

Was pleasantly surprised
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

petew0557 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:55 am
While I was there I asked for prices of new tyres (fitted)

Was pleasantly surprised
Are those numbers correct - front dearer than rear?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:27 pm
petew0557 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:55 am While I was there I asked for prices of new tyres (fitted)

Are those numbers correct - front dearer than rear?
.... and can we assume they are 20" wheels?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

He said front is dearer because they arnt used on other vehicles, mine are 21 inch
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

petew0557 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:18 pm He said front is dearer because they arnt used on other vehicles, mine are 21 inch
Can often be the case !

OP done mix tyres. Just put same on as you have - as long as they aren’t Pirelli - or change all 4 which they used to recommend on four wheel drive cars to avoid ‘axel wind up’
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S