2023 GTS and google maps

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’ve probably not given the Porsche system a chance to be honest. I like Apple Maps. I can move from car to car and it all works identically and is reliable. My experience in general of native Sat Navs is that the live elements are slow to update. All of them including Apple Maps sometimes don’t update fast enough.
Macan S MY 2023

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I don't know why car manufacturers bother licensing/building their own mapping interfaces, just use Google/Apple.

The reason Apple/Google are so good is due to a couple of factors:

- Google / Apple have millions of phones on the roads that they use to get real time traffic data. This was once hilariously abused by a chap who put a whole bunch of phones into a backpack and cycled through his city - this caused Google to think there was a huge traffic jam and route all traffic around the roads he was on, resulting in totally clear roads in reality.

https://www.wired.com/story/99-phones-f ... affic-jam/

Google have since built smarter software so you can't abuse this, but the principle remains the same. This is how Google knows of an accident an tailback almost immediately after it happens.

- Google / Apple have relationships with national mapping agencies - eg, Ordnance Survey for the UK, to get up to date data on road layout changes.

- Google (and probably Apple, im unsure, I don't use Apple maps) also use user sourced data such as speed camera locations or diversions to provide you better data. Google bought Waze a number of years ago and their data is shared.

I don't know what data the Porsche system uses, possibly from TomTom or something in the UK. But there is no way it's as up to date as Google can provide - there's simply no contest.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
N111BJG

Post by N111BJG »

Being a surveyor I am often driving to a new destination but in familiar towns / cities
The built in sat nav is my first choice as I can see my entire route or parts of it much easier by easy zooming in & out
I have Waze on too for incident updates & pothole alerts
2023 Macan S in Copper Ruby Metallic
2022 Mini Cooper Exclusive Convertible (Hers)
2022 BMW R1250GS
2016 991.2 C4S Cabriolet in Miami Blue
2019 Macan S (Sold)
2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (Sold)
2005 997.1 C2S Cabriolet (sold)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

We recently visited Rouen and happened to arrive at the peak of the afternoon rush hour. The Porsche navigation in the 911 immediately calculated a route through numerous quiet back streets to get us to our hotel with minimum delay. it was quite amusing to be crossing through or moving parallel to the stationary traffic.

As I've said before, those who swear by phone-based alternatives conveniently omit to mention phone data usage, potential roaming charges, loss of signal, battery drain etc. but nowadays built-in systems update automatically OTA and receive up to date traffic information. It's questionable why anyone should be so dependent on speed camera location data, and using it abroad risks prosecution and even confiscation of the vehicle.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

My experience of in built systems is that they receive the traffic updates way too late. I’m usually on the road by the time they arrive if they arrive at all. The M25 is really bad for this.

That said I’ve not used the Porsche one as I’ve based it on the Merc ones I have in our 2 other cars.
Macan S MY 2023
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:07 am As I've said before, those who swear by phone-based alternatives conveniently omit to mention phone data usage, potential roaming charges, loss of signal, battery drain etc. but nowadays built-in systems update automatically OTA and receive up to date traffic information. It's questionable why anyone should be so dependent on speed camera location data, and using it abroad risks prosecution and even confiscation of the vehicle.
I agree with this.

My good friend swears by Waze which he uses via carplay or whatever its called on his 2019 Passat when we share driving whenever we go across London to watch football......but we don't get there any quicker than when its my turn to drive and I use the factory Nav system in my BMW X5, which I use as a moving map and just looking at the slow roads ahead by zooming in and out etc. I know where I'm going, and alternative routes so don't need the Nav to tell me, whereas he also knows where he's going, but relies on the tech and he blindly follows the route his phone takes him....and sometimes it has us going some really odd ways that seem quite a bit slower...... I don't like that, I like to make my own mind up, and the BMW system is pretty good with speed of traffic updates, and on the odd occasion I do use the Nav when going to somewhere I don't know, its pretty good at route changing on the fly.

I still predominately use the car screen as a moving map with traffic though, as after over 40 years of driving around the UK, I usually only need the Nav to get to the last few miles of any address in a town....most of the way I know had to get there just using the map (years of being a rally navigator in my youth is a hard habit to break away from :lol: )
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Even VW Brands Are Giving Up On VW's Awful Infotainment Software
Volkswagen is cutting 2,000 jobs at Cariad, its in-house software developer, while Porsche turns to Google.

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-giving-up- ... 1850976771
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

I've always wanted to use the Porsche navigation system but need the speed camera alerts and location markings on screen. Don't think that's practically possible on the Porsche system without doing complicated (for me) downloads every so often. So Waze has become my default.

However I'm an amateur at these things so may well not understand what's actually feasible
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
2japs

Post by 2japs »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am I've always wanted to use the Porsche navigation system but need the speed camera alerts and location markings on screen. Don't think that's practically possible on the Porsche system without doing complicated (for me) downloads every so often. So Waze has become my default.

However I'm an amateur at these things so may well not understand what's actually feasible
That makes two of us! I’m not very tech savvy at all. 😳
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am I've always wanted to use the Porsche navigation system but need the speed camera alerts and location markings on screen. Don't think that's practically possible on the Porsche system without doing complicated (for me) downloads every so often. So Waze has become my default.

Just saying that if you stick to the speed limits, then you don’t need the speed camera alerts and locations on the screen, and you can use the Porsche nav system all day long!! 😏😁
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon