Minor Parking Dings - Do you fix or leave?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
crockers

Post by crockers »

Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:08 pm Does my head in. Came back to my 7 month old GTS the other day to a nice scratch on the side. Just under an inch long, looks like a bag zipper or something caught it.

Years of having shit cars, even when I could afford one/two year old cars - never had it happen. The first time it happens is when I treat myself to a brand new Porsche. SIGHHH

Never mind, got a decent quote from a local bodyshop who reckon they'll get it fully out. It's just one of lifes little joys.
All depends if its breached the clearcoat.
Spray some soap water on it. Does it disappear but reappear when dry. If so it's only on the ckearcoat and can be polished out. If its gone through the clearcoat a bit more work involved - but doable. If its breached the primer. Respraying the area may be needed. But from your discription it doesn't sound mega deep.

As for the OP and his dings. They look easily removable by a pdr man.

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

crockers wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:30 pm
Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:08 pm Does my head in. Came back to my 7 month old GTS the other day to a nice scratch on the side. Just under an inch long, looks like a bag zipper or something caught it.

Years of having shit cars, even when I could afford one/two year old cars - never had it happen. The first time it happens is when I treat myself to a brand new Porsche. SIGHHH

Never mind, got a decent quote from a local bodyshop who reckon they'll get it fully out. It's just one of lifes little joys.
All depends if its breached the clearcoat.
Spray some soap water on it. Does it disappear but reappear when dry. If so it's only on the ckearcoat and can be polished out. If its gone through the clearcoat a bit more work involved - but doable. If its breached the primer. Respraying the area may be needed. But from your discription it doesn't sound mega deep.

As for the OP and his dings. They look easily removable by a pdr man.
If it's gone through the clear coat, it will require respraying (or touching up if small)
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Hurts doesn't it. At least it sounds like it may have been just carelessness. I had a brand new Mercedes ML a few years back and within 2 weeks it was keyed along both O/S doors!
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yeh nah not through the clearcoat thankfully - already did the water test as soon as I spotted it. You can juuuuust about feel it with your fingernail despite being quite long/wide.

I did try a hand polish with the stuff I got here but it seems beyond that - I don't own a DA machine polisher but I'm now considering investing...
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 pm Yeh nah not through the clearcoat thankfully - already did the water test as soon as I spotted it. You can juuuuust about feel it with your fingernail despite being quite long/wide.

I did try a hand polish with the stuff I got here but it seems beyond that - I don't own a DA machine polisher but I'm now considering investing...
For a scratch of that size you don't need a machine polisher - in fact, you could make things a whole lot worse with one! - as you can easily polish something that small by hand but you do need to generate heat as it is this that reflows the paint. Most amateurs apply polish like wax. Wipe it on then wipe it off. This is a complete waste of time, you need to put a little elbow grease in for it to have any effect
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Here's the offender...

Upclose:

From afar:

Can barely see it from across the road thankfully:

Looks more savage than it is in that first photo. There was a wispy line either side which a hand polish removed, but alas even though I gave it some welly the main body of it wouldn't budge. Here's hoping the shop can do better...!
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:12 pmHere's hoping the shop can do better...!
Hmmm, difficult to see in pictures but looks like it is in, but not through the clear coat. A bodyshop would attempt to remove the scratch with P1200, 1500, 2000 grit wet sanding then polish out the flatting marks but I wouldn't recommend trying this yourself unless you are really confident in knowing what you were doing. If you break through the clear coat it's game over and will need spraying
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yeh I think that is their plan - they gave me an option of a full respray for £500+ odd quid which I really wasn't keen on such a new vehicle, but they also said they're confident they can get a "very good finish" with the polish route.

It's in on the 14th so I'll post an update when it's done...!
2japs

Post by 2japs »

That’s so annoying 😡 fingers crossed it will be easily sorted.
We’ve all had it at some stage. I had similar on my last S3, done at the golf club and only about a month before changing to the Macan, fortunately with the car being solid white I managed to polish most of it out, only could tell with close inspection, luckily it wasn’t picked up when I sold It.

It never ceases to amaze me when you park in a supermarket a hockey pitch away from other cars some clown will park next to you , happens regularly at our local Asda.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

2japs wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:10 am ....It never ceases to amaze me when you park in a supermarket a hockey pitch away from other cars some clown will park next to you , happens regularly at our local Asda....
Yep, I call it the Porsche magnet effect. Empty car park and someone will park a foot away from you