Drive shaft/CV Joint

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Today I wentt to fill up with petrol in my 1 year old Macan S.
Turning sharp left out of the petrol station i heard a terrible grating sound.
Stopped the car and looked under both front wheels, couldn't see anything unusual.
Was quite close to a trusted garage I've use quite a lot on previous cars to see if they knew what it was.
Straight on the ramps and underneath, they diagnosed a nearside drive shaft problem, possibly where it joins the hub, it was loose in the hub.
Drove the mile home carefully at 20mph and straight into my garage.
Phoned Porsche Assistance, AA Prestige guy coming tomorrow.
Done 10600 trouble free miles till this!
NOT a HAPPY BUNNY!

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

petew0557 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 pm Today I wentt to fill up with petrol in my 1 year old Macan S.
Turning sharp left out of the petrol station i heard a terrible grating sound.
Stopped the car and looked under both front wheels, couldn't see anything unusual.
Was quite close to a trusted garage I've use quite a lot on previous cars to see if they knew what it was.
Straight on the ramps and underneath, they diagnosed a nearside drive shaft problem, possibly where it joins the hub, it was loose in the hub.
Drove the mile home carefully at 20mph and straight into my garage.
Phoned Porsche Assistance, AA Prestige guy coming tomorrow.
Done 10600 trouble free miles till this!
NOT a HAPPY BUNNY!
Sounds like you have received excellent service in the first instance? Things fail it’s just life but as long as Porsche sort in good time etc, all good 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4788

Lets hope it gets resolved quickly, never had this happen on any other car I've ever owned in 50 years tho, especially at only 12 months old.
Deleted User 4788

So, after contacting Porsche Assistance yesterday, here is what followed;
1) AA Prestige Technician arrived at 8.30am this morning to inspect the Macan. Confirmed that nearside CV joint had collapsed. He said that he had only seen this on high mileage Macans in the past.
2) Another AA Man with low loader arrived at 11.55am and has taken Macan to Porsche Bolton for repair.
3) Porsche Bolton confirmed repair will be started within 72 hours.
4) Call from Enterprise car hire to say that they were sourcing Large Auto SUV and should have something today and it will be delivered to my house.
5) Once Macan is repaired, I can drive Hire Car to Porsche Bolton and pick up my car and leave Hire Car there .
Will update as things unfold, So far so good.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It does seem very strange on a new car.

Hopefully it gets repaired quickly.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Get them to check the otherside while they have it too.
Macan S MY 2023
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Skyway wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:41 pm Get them to check the otherside while they have it too.

Good idea 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

If the boot isn’t split and based on the comments I guess not. Possibly a collapsed ball race due to insufficient lubricant, may have missed in the CV build process or more likely a failure due to a fault/fatigue somewhere in the bearing assembly. It happens, not very often but these assemblies are delivered straight to the vehicle manufacturer complete, so no way to detect at final inspection.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is the sort of component that would have been bought in ready made to the spec Porsche would have given to their sub contractors, probably lowest tenderer.

Either that or they bought a job lot of old British Leyland CV joints.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:50 am
Either that or they bought a job lot of old British Leyland CV joints.
Ahh, that will be the Austin All aggro ones then :D
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats