Glad to be here, and hello!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

PJV997 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 pm For the OP - Something to consider re aquaplaning.

My Macan is on 20 inch wheels and came with 4 new all season Michelins (bought approved used earlier in the year). I tried to get them changed to Pilot Sport 4S and pay any upgrade cost but to no avail.

I wasn’t particularly happy but my SE said to give them a try before writing them off. I have to say I’ve been very impressed by them for my road use.

If risk of aquaplaning is a real concern, all season tyres might be worth considering. I don’t know if Porsche supply all season tyres as standard for any of the wheel options. Again, I am sure others on here are more knowledgeable than I am and might provide some input.
There ARE NO all season tyres compatible with Gen2 or 3 petrol Macans that carry an N rating. That said its been a few months since I looked....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:20 pm
PJV997 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 pm For the OP - Something to consider re aquaplaning.

My Macan is on 20 inch wheels and came with 4 new all season Michelins (bought approved used earlier in the year). I tried to get them changed to Pilot Sport 4S and pay any upgrade cost but to no avail.

I wasn’t particularly happy but my SE said to give them a try before writing them off. I have to say I’ve been very impressed by them for my road use.

If risk of aquaplaning is a real concern, all season tyres might be worth considering. I don’t know if Porsche supply all season tyres as standard for any of the wheel options. Again, I am sure others on here are more knowledgeable than I am and might provide some input.
There ARE NO all season tyres compatible with Gen2 or 3 petrol Macans that carry an N rating. That said its been a few months since I looked....
Try

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-w ... nt-macan-s

I was looking for some cheap winter wheels but never followed up so don't know if they can deliver.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:20 pm There ARE NO all season tyres compatible with Gen2 or 3 petrol Macans that carry an N rating. That said it’s been a few months since I looked....
I don’t understand why that would be the case.

Reading OPC put Michelin all-season tyres on my Gen I Turbo. What is different with a Gen II or III? Presumably wheel sizes are the same/similar?

Not trying to be antagonistic - a genuine question.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
pmg

Post by pmg »

PJV997 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:40 pm
Neil1911 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:20 pm There ARE NO all season tyres compatible with Gen2 or 3 petrol Macans that carry an N rating. That said it’s been a few months since I looked....
I don’t understand why that would be the case.

Reading OPC put Michelin all-season tyres on my Gen I Turbo. What is different with a Gen II or III? Presumably wheel sizes are the same/similar?

Not trying to be antagonistic - a genuine question.
A cynic may say the Gen1 was sold before Germany made tyres that have the snowflake (which Mich HP Latitudes do not) compulsory in winter months and Gen2 and 3 cars were built after that introduction
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:07 pm PTV is grossly overrated for road use. Those who have paid out for it will generally justify the decision with claims on how good it is, but as I’ve said before, I would happily challenge most drivers to tell the difference in a blind test on the road, in any weather conditions. As we know, us men are very prone to exaggerate! But perhaps if you get your session at the PEC you may be able to do a with and without test if the cars are available, and you can go out onto public roads to do it if you wish.
I agree with Nick on the PTV point…I’m unclear how it helps on a 4x4 SUV…

With regard to aquaplaning even now I have done c.5k miles on my 20’ wheels there is a tendency to aquaplane
especially on wet motorways…I put this down to the tyre width, the simple solution is to adjust my driving style in such conditions. I’m also planning to buy a 19 inch winter wheel / tyre set which should reduce this effect….
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Ok, so it looks like nobody sees any noticeable benefits from torque vectoring in normal driving with a Macan S.

I don’t want to overstress the question of aquaplaning - there will always be a greater propensity for aquaplaning with wide tyres but it’s quite manageable, and I assume torque vectoring could only be a potential aid (if it is an aid at all) in the rare event that you hit a puddle when you are on the throttle, which an attentive driver shouldn’t.

I would never take my Macan on track. If I had a 911 GT3 I wouldn’t take it on track either. I believe the only car that is suitable for track driving is one that belongs to somebody else. 😉
Last edited by Moriarty on Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 5286

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:20 am
I would never take my Macan on track. If I had a 911 GT3 I wouldn’t take it on track either. I believe the only car that is suitable for track driving is one that belongs to somebody else. 😉
The Macan is a bus and is not designed to go anywhere near a track ! Totally agree with you the best track cars are those that belong to somebody else!!😄😄
Deleted User 5286

Before I get shot down I would add that although a bus the Macan is an excellent multi purpose road car /multi trick pony…
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Or make sure it is insured !

I wouldn’t have a gt3 and not track it - total waste of car otherwise!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Tracky wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:12 pm
Or make sure it is insured !

I wouldn’t have a gt3 and not track it - total waste of car otherwise!
I suspect the large majority of Porsche output regardless of model, are wasted.....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP