GTS due July

All your ordering information here!
GTSPaul

Post by GTSPaul »

Hi all, after looking at the forum for months, I thought it's about time I posted..

I have now owned a Macan S (Gen 3) since December 2021. I love the car, but last year when the residual values were so much higher than new car prices and lead times so long. I thought I would gamble and order another Macan, I intended to buy another S and wait 12 months, but before I ordered the new S, I test drove a GTS.

On first impression and on paper the GTS and S look to be not that different at all, however on driving the GTS it is in my opinion a completely different car, so I took the plunge and ordered one in May 22.

I also was luckily enough to get two invites to the PEC at Silverstone, so my wife and I drove both the S and GTS, which again convinced me I had made the right decision as the GTS suspension, brakes and handling are all far superior to my S.

2 price increases later and my car is now locked down, I started with Silver, then Gentian, but I am drawn to Crayon every time I see a Porsche in that colour. The car is due to be available for collection mid-July, which be 14 months from order date.

Thanks to all Forum members who have posted and helped me make the many changes on the configurator in past few months, before it was locked down.
June 23 - Gen 3 GTS Crayon - PRYYGL21
Dec 21 - Gen 3 S - Volcano - Sold

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum

14 months wait sound about right. I know some have been lucky to get theirs within a few months.

Can you explain what you felt the difference were between S & GTS. I did think they both came with (or optioned) with the same air suspension set-up. Could you feel any real difference? And in what way?

I know the brakes are slightly different in material. Are they bigger brakes too?

I know there has been a drag race between S & GTS with very little difference. Could you feel any power difference?

I know my dealer was asking me if I wanted to leave a deposit down for may next car, and a GTS would be a natural upgrade. But I'm just not sure if the differences would be different enough, especially if second hand car prices go back to normal.
GTSPaul

Post by GTSPaul »

Hi The suspension is only 10mm lower on GTS, but car has a much stiffer ride with less roll the brakes and steering are better too.

It's hard to explain, but having driven a couple of GTS’s on long test drives compared to my S they feels like completely different cars. If you’re interested in a GTS, it’s worth asking your dealer for a test drive to see for yourself
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

An S with PASM and Air Suspension definitely isn't a 'completely difference car' to a GTS according to every report I have watched/read so far ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Skyway wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:43 pm An S with PASM and Air Suspension definitely isn't a 'completely difference car' to a GTS according to every report I have watched/read so far ;)
Worth a test drive to see :twisted: ?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
GTSPaul

Post by GTSPaul »

I have PASM and Air on my S, and have seen reviews saying they are not a lot different, as Neil said the GTS worth a test drive…
If anyone is interested I will be selling my selling my Macan S in about 5 weeks…
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I agree with the original poster. There is a huge difference between the cars. I had an S (albeit a gen 2) for 3 years and I’m now almost one year in with a gen 3 GTS.

Neither my wife or I gelled with the S and questioned if we wanted another Macan based on the driving experience (perhaps many here would disagree but different strokes for different folks etc, etc) particularly around town but we loved the open road comfort, interior quality and looks. We ordered a GTS, then cancelled, then placed another order and finally took delivery. The agreement was that if after 3 months we’ve not gelled with the car, it’s going. But it’s a keeper!

The GTS feels so different, we both love it. It’s not just the power (which is rarely used as I have a GT4 to use & abuse when in the mood), the way the gearbox reacts is so much better, throttle response is sharper, brakes are better, we’ve now got power steering plus which is much nicer around town. It just feels like a really really well thought out package where the S never quite did. The sales exec even said to me that you need to drive the S in sport mode but I hated that, it would hold onto gears far too long at low speeds, sport plus was not much better so I often nudged the lever left and just used the paddles when in sport mode. I’ve never even thought about going manual in the GTS, the software / calibration between the gearbox, driving style and speed just seems to be bang on pretty much all the time.

The Macan GTS does seem to be more than the sum of its parts when comparing to the S. You’ve made a good choice, enjoy.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

The S in Gen2 and gen3 have a completely different engine!
The comparison between gen3 S and gen3 GTS (same engine and gearbox) is the interesting one…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Jon A wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:49 am The S in Gen2 and gen3 have a completely different engine!
The comparison between gen3 S and gen3 GTS (same engine and gearbox) is the interesting one…
Yeah, I doubt there will be much of a gap between gen 3 S & GTS. Basically the same car. Engine, gearbox etc.

I’m sure there will be differences, just not that huge.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

wab172uk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:10 am
Jon A wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:49 am The S in Gen2 and gen3 have a completely different engine!
Yeah, I doubt there will be much of a gap between gen 3 S & GTS. Basically the same car. Engine, gearbox etc.

I’m sure there will be differences, just not that huge.
+1. Gen 2 S versus Gen 3 GTS not really a fair comparison.

Gen 3 S basically has the engine from the Gen 2 GTS.

Gen 2 GTS was considered by some to be the ‘sweet spot’ so now maybe the Gen 3 S is the ‘sweetspot’ with the Gen 3 GTS effectively taking the place of the Turbo in the range.

Whatever, both S and GTS in Gen 3 are awesome cars. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018