EV Macan - again

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

GTB wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:23 pm Without a doubt the legislation here in the UK, Europe and Globally will change with so called "Deadlines" being extended.
As more people and we have seen already people take up EV's. issues with range anxiety and also availibility of charging facilities already making problems for owners, figures, like all fiures and stats can easily be manipulated depending on who is producing the reports, but we all know the rise in sales and growth has been cuase by buisness purchases because of the tax benefits.
Once the "Masses" start looking, availibility of charging facilities especially at their home residence and those in dense areas and blocks of multi occupancy use then liability claims for tripping over charging cables, theft of charging cables and electric shocks will only increase.

As I have mentioned before, 99.9% of people especially politicians and legislators only just look at cars, they do not consider every application of an I.C.E Engine. The thought of me spending a day fishing on Loch Lomond with only a electric rather than my 4hp four stroke outboard would fill me with dread in fact just wouldnt do it.

Go back to my original posts, Im not anti EV. What i do preach is that EV's are only one solution for the right application and right users. There will and are other energy solutions for other applications and users. Withought doubt e-fuel will be a major impact on many applications and I hope the prestige car manufacturers including Porsche go down that route.
100% EV is just not going to happen simply because of availibility of the raw materials required, also technology is changing so fast it hasnt settled so a big risk not only to the vehicle purchaser but also charging facility owners in making a return. We also dont have the electricity capacity to generate whats need for 100% EV take up. I also have two clients at the moment making legal claims against the suppliers of their charging equipment that they invested six figure sums on just three years ago to be told that hardware/software is no longer "Supported" and they should invest in the latest chargers!!
Also been a lot more work carried out on fire safety as more EV's mean more fires and that will have implications for where charging can take place.

Im not saying petrol and diesel as we have at this time will still be with us in five/ten/twenty years but there will be liquid fuels for sure.

GTB
I can't help but agree with you GTB. My career started in measuring vehicle emission using the ECE and Federal drive cycles and finished running a business conducting ICE development tests for most of the UK based OEMs and their one suppliers. My scariest meeting was a group of industry experts advising UK MPs about EVs, their lack of understanding was truly astonishing. The same MPs that devised our EV policy.

GTB

Post by GTB »

Ok,
So not to do with an individual EV Battery, but none the less a very good article on concerns raised by a UK Fire and rescue authority over a Lithium-Ion battery storage facility being planned. Again its to do with the stability and fire risk of these types of battery. So we have read and seen about EV fires, also the charging of e-skooters etc.

A lot of these battery storage hubs are being developed and constructed to store so called "green energy".

Anyway an article from one of my industry magazines that I just found time to read this afternoon:

Fire chiefs warn of explosion risks at proposed energy storage site
21 JULY 2023

Concerns have been raised about explosion risks at a planned battery storage facility near Wakefield in Yorkshire, UK. In a report produced by West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority (WYFRA), fire chiefs highlighted the potential risks posed by the site, including a densely populated area being exposed to a vapour cloud.
One of Harmony Energy's UK sites - Image: Harmony Energy
One of Harmony Energy's UK sites - Image: Harmony Energy
The battery site, which is being built by Harmony Energy, would store energy produced by renewable sources. The planned site would have around 60 containers with lithium-ion batteries inside. The company said its technology was tested to National Fire Protection Association standards.

In the WYFRA report however, the fire authority said that it was concerning that no specific information in relation to fire risk and explosion has been incorporated into the application. Senior Fire Protection Officer Chris Kemp says in the report that the risks of vapour cloud, thermal runaway and explosion are real and becoming more common.

Kemp adds that should a fire or explosion happen, the fire service would be left with two options – let it burn or use around 5.5 million litres of water over 24 hours to extinguish the fire. If a fire was left to burn, a chain reaction would occur across the site and also lead to a vapour/smoke plume spreading across a nearby populated area.

A spokesperson for Harmony Energy told journalists that the company operates over 500MWs of energy storage systems in the UK and that the sites would be uninsurable if there were questions over their safety. The spokesperson added that the company is currently consolidating fire safety information to share with local authorities.

Note** The National Fire Protection Association is a North American body not a European or UK one so I know from my own Engineering profession USA "Standards" may not always be as demanding or rigorous as those developed and required in the UK.

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

What do you think then 🤔

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
softsand

Post by softsand »

Um, that snow plough wouldn't be of much use down here in Australia...

That lower front spoiler actually looks as bit silly - but otherwise it looks "OK" I guess...
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum
2japs

Post by 2japs »

softsand wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm Um, that snow plough wouldn't be of much use down here in Australia...

That lower front spoiler actually looks as bit silly - but otherwise it looks "OK" I guess...
Agree with your second comment.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Surely that front spoiler must be dangerous for pedestrians in any head on accident? Oh wait is that second photo been 'digitally rendered' on the environment, looks a bit odd with the clearance.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Oh, that Macan EV looks cheap to me. I don’t like the nose, the headlights, the silly front spoiler, the weird side blade shape, and the toy wheels.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Here is the full photo it’s from Porsche product sales training in Lisbon.

IMG_1663.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

I like Lisbon. If they could photoshop out the car it would be a nice picture.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I think it’s a huge improvement on current 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0