Macan 1 S/Turbo Recall...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Afternoon people. Who else got the 'missive' from Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG this morning regarding the mandatory recall? Apparently S/Turbo were built with software during production, which was not used during type approval. So, presumably this mens the vehicles are technically 'illegal'. It seems to centre around the coasting function, which after update will still be switchable by the driver, but will no longer be automatic when you lift off the accelerator. 'An update to your operating manual will be provided'.

So it looks like software A was type approved and software B was installed in the vehicles. How this can come to light after nearly 10 years of production surprises me somewhat. However, as it is 'VW Group' and 'Software' I should not really be that amazed.

Another trip to OPC for coffee and buns
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

GWL

Post by GWL »

Yes, I got that letter this morning. Full of waffle/legal-speak but smacks of the VW Diesel scandal. Also, as you mentioned, we're going to lose the auto-coast function :roll: Coffee & buns for two?
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
vorticalspace

Post by vorticalspace »

Make that for three :D
Can't pretend to have understood most of the content of the letter but does seem rather odd?
Also, why only S/Turbo?

Autocoast is rather hit and miss any way and I generally activate using the paddle.

On the upside, will get a shiny new Porsche for the day :lol:
Porsche Macan S 2018 - Rhodium Silver :D
andreas

Post by andreas »

Yes, I got the letter too. As I read it, it sounds like they cheated the emissions testing in the first place, so now have to correct the software in the cars. Their claim that the update won't affect power, torque, consumption and emissions is frankly suspect. And deleting the automatic coasting feature is a retrograde step.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
porscherap

Post by porscherap »

Excuse my ignorance, but why does this 'recall' apply to just the Macan Turbo (petrol) - and not the diesel turbo version, which also has the auto coasting feature - which I really like?
Robin.
2017 Macan S Diesel.
Happiness should be a place called Porsche...
andreas

Post by andreas »

porscherap wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:25 pm Excuse my ignorance, but why does this 'recall' apply to just the Macan Turbo (petrol) - and not the diesel turbo version, which also has the auto coasting feature - which I really like?
The recall is for Gen 1 S (petrol) and Turbo models. The cynics will suggest that removing the auto coasting feature will enable Porsche to blame its removal for the subsequent poorer fuel consumption after the update!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

And yet the letter suggests that it will optimise the system and thus improve economy - the latter is interpolation

'The software update further optimises vehicle beahaviour, in particular, a change to the coasting function when rolling the vehicle with the accelerator pedal not pressed, which can lead to an improvement in overall fuel consumption.@

Looks like a legal action if fuel consumption rockets after the update. Or at least a good whinge.

The 'this is a mandatory recall' smacks of Porsche being ' in the sh1t with the authorities, as does 'please arrange .............in the near furture'
Last edited by bennachie on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
andreas

Post by andreas »

bennachie wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:36 pm And yet the letter suggests that it will optimise the system and thus improve economy - the latter is interpolation
As you'd expect, bearing in mind it's dealing with the aftermath of emissions cheating, the letter is very carefully worded indeed.
porscherap

Post by porscherap »

andreas wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:49 pm
porscherap wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:25 pm Excuse my ignorance, but why does this 'recall' apply to just the Macan Turbo (petrol) - and not the diesel turbo version, which also has the auto coasting feature - which I really like?
The recall is for Gen 1 S (petrol) and Turbo models. The cynics will suggest that removing the auto coasting feature will enable Porsche to blame its removal for the subsequent poorer fuel consumption after the update!
So, just petrol engined cars then?
I thought the big debate was around diesel vehicles.
Robin.
2017 Macan S Diesel.
Happiness should be a place called Porsche...
andreas

Post by andreas »

porscherap wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:51 pm

So, just petrol engined cars then?
I thought the big debate was around diesel vehicles.
It seems that VAG cheated anything and everything.