Unusual unlocking fault and 4wd fault

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
kanzaz

Post by kanzaz »

Hi all

I’ve encountered something slightly odd with my 19 Macan S. A couple of weeks ago, I went to unlock my car but - although the key was flashing with the red light when clicking unlock - the car wouldn’t unlock. Oddly after I opened up with the manual key, the key started working fine electronically. I dismissed it but the same thing recurred yesterday. I had to manually unlock the car for the key to start working electronically. I’m not sure if the issue is the key or the car. I’ve replaced the battery for the key now, but it seems surprising that that would be the issue, given after the manual unlock everything started functioning again.

Oddly yesterday when I turned the car on it say 4wd fault, rwd drive only and on a restart this went away. Presumably unrelated but quite odd.

It is under extended warranty, so may be it is worth sending in to Porsche. I do have a dash cam fitted by Sextons in London but I don’t think that’s causing any issues - I’ve had it for a while.

Thanks

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

It may be that your S has a low state of car battery voltage? Perhaps get that checked first to eliminate. If your OPC is not local to you or is booked up, by either taking it to an auto electrician or a competent garage. Less expensive too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^^ Agree. If you don’t do regular longish runs, especially now with heavy electrical loads in winter, then do a continuous run of at least an hour to get the battery up to 100%.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Depends how they have wired the dashcam into the car, ie into a permanently live terminal.

It my be in use permanently, which would deplete the battery in time.

Most installations connect to one of the timed terminals which go dead after 1/2 hour, the the added power cell takes over (this is charged when the ignition is on).
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

kanzaz wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm Hi all

I’ve encountered something slightly odd with my 19 Macan S. A couple of weeks ago, I went to unlock my car but - although the key was flashing with the red light when clicking unlock - the car wouldn’t unlock. Oddly after I opened up with the manual key, the key started working fine electronically. I dismissed it but the same thing recurred yesterday. I had to manually unlock the car for the key to start working electronically. I’m not sure if the issue is the key or the car. I’ve replaced the battery for the key now, but it seems surprising that that would be the issue, given after the manual unlock everything started functioning again.

Oddly yesterday when I turned the car on it say 4wd fault, rwd drive only and on a restart this went away. Presumably unrelated but quite odd.

It is under extended warranty, so may be it is worth sending in to Porsche. I do have a dash cam fitted by Sextons in London but I don’t think that’s causing any issues - I’ve had it for a while.

Thanks
I've had the same thing happen to me (see below) after the car had been standing idle for several weeks during a cold spell. As you'll see from one of the last posts in my thread, you only need to pull on the driver's door handle to wake it up. If you have a CTEK charger (or similar) put the car on charge to top up the battery. Alternately take it out for a good run, at least 1hr.

viewtopic.php?t=12900
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel