Thoughts please…

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I know this is not Macan related but your thoughts would be welcome.
Bought Mrs A’s Boxster five weeks ago as approved used from OPC. Had power steering plus added today at my local OPC (not where bought) and they conducted a health check. All is well except both rear tyres are below 3mm and advise immediate change.
This means that they were at or only fractionally over the Porsche advisory limit when sold to us and she’s done around 800 miles in the interim.
Is this a bit cheeky or just bad practice?? Not sure I have any recourse, just a bit pissed off 😠
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Jon A wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:57 pm I know this is not Macan related but your thoughts would be welcome.
Bought Mrs A’s Boxster five weeks ago as approved used from OPC. Had power steering plus added today at my local OPC (not where bought) and they conducted a health check. All is well except both rear tyres are below 3mm and advise immediate change.
This means that they were at or only fractionally over the Porsche advisory limit when sold to us and she’s done around 800 miles in the interim.
Is this a bit cheeky or just bad practice?? Not sure I have any recourse, just a bit pissed off 😠
Put in a call to the Sales Manager where you bought the Boxster.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

I Bought my 718 S on click and collect in 2021, had to just go off videos and photos as i wasn'tallowed to view (PC Leicester), I noticed a few things and they acted on some but my Fronts were 3.5mm when I had to take readings for third party wheel & Tyre insurance.

The car had done around 100 miles, I should have acted but I didn't.. the rears were new so at least I had that.

I would give the sales manager a call, even if they offer a discount as good will, I think Tyres should be at a minimum of 5mm for approved used?
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Sold: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
Sold : 2022 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 pdk PNPZ3NJ9
Sold : 2022 Macan GTS PP6I14Y4
Current: 2018 Gen2 Macan Base (hers)
Due 2023 718 Spyder PPFDEYX7
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I'd call the supplying deal explaining the situation. I'd like to think they would at the very least supply 2 rear tyres at a significant discount.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Gibberish wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:23 pm I Bought my 718 S on click and collect in 2021, had to just go off videos and photos as i wasn'tallowed to view (PC Leicester), I noticed a few things and they acted on some but my Fronts were 3.5mm when I had to take readings for third party wheel & Tyre insurance.

The car had done around 100 miles, I should have acted but I didn't.. the rears were new so at least I had that.

I would give the sales manager a call, even if they offer a discount as good will, I think Tyres should be at a minimum of 5mm for approved used?
Yes my view is at least 4mm for approved used as anything else is an almost immediate recommendation to change from Porsche!
Unfortunately the supplying OPC is three hours away but thinking they could supply a credit to Nottingham? Maybe they buy one and I buy one?
We shall see, calls have been made and have given them the report.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Car should have had at least 3mm, quote:

Wheels and tyres: tyres are safety-critical and transmit the high power of Porsche vehicles to the road or other surfaces. Checking whether the correct, Porsche ‘N’ rated tyres are fitted is exceptionally important. All tyres are checked to ensure they are free from damage and that they have a minimum tread depth of 3mm, as the Porsche Approved standards dictate

Hard to imagine in 800 miles they've worn that much. Wear at 1mm per 3000 miles would only give you 15k to 18k miles on a tyre so if yours are under 3mm they must have been bang on at point of sale

I change my tyres at 3mm left

Good luck
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

Jon A wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:59 pm
Gibberish wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:23 pm I Bought my 718 S on click and collect in 2021, had to just go off videos and photos as i wasn'tallowed to view (PC Leicester), I noticed a few things and they acted on some but my Fronts were 3.5mm when I had to take readings for third party wheel & Tyre insurance.

Yes my view is at least 4mm for approved used as anything else is an almost immediate recommendation to change from Porsche!
Unfortunately the supplying OPC is three hours away but thinking they could supply a credit to Nottingham? Maybe they buy one and I buy one?
We shall see, calls have been made and have given them the report.
Swindon paid Sheffield to smart repair my bumper so it's possible 👍

Also one Sytner dealer paid for another to replace the clutch on my A5, few years ago now though.
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Sold: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
Sold : 2022 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 pdk PNPZ3NJ9
Sold : 2022 Macan GTS PP6I14Y4
Current: 2018 Gen2 Macan Base (hers)
Due 2023 718 Spyder PPFDEYX7
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sorry, but you really should have checked it over prior to actually buying it.

They are Used Car Salesmen after all, and just because they are selling Porsche cars does not put them on a pedestal.

If you were selling a car with barely legal tyres, would you offer up the fact that they are going to need replacing soon or would you wait for they prospective buyer to point it out and then negotiate?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:09 pm Sorry, but you really should have checked it over prior to actually buying it.

They are Used Car Salesmen after all, and just because they are selling Porsche cars does not put them on a pedestal.

If you were selling a car with barely legal tyres, would you offer up the fact that they are going to need replacing soon or would you wait for they prospective buyer to point it out and then negotiate?
Don’t think you have read my post properly Col 🙄
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:09 pm Sorry, but you really should have checked it over prior to actually buying it.

The Salesman doesn't carry out the inspection!

Hope you get some joy Jon.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)