PCM black screen

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
MikeBrand

Post by MikeBrand »

PCM doesn’t not turn on and has a black screen. 2019 Macan S. Is there a way to reboot?

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Bumping this because it happened to my wife today in our one month old Macan T. She was passing the dealership just before it closed and they fixed it, but I’ve no idea what they did. If it happens again, does anyone have a fix? Turning off and on again didn’t reboot it.
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

They may have disconnected the battery for five minutes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

For the last few trips in the car, on starting, the screen has been blank. I had to wait 15 mins today before
it started working.
Has anyone any idea if it is a software update required for example? This may not be likely if none else is having similar issues.
samg

Post by samg »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:50 pm Bumping this because it happened to my wife today in our one month old Macan T. She was passing the dealership just before it closed and they fixed it, but I’ve no idea what they did. If it happens again, does anyone have a fix? Turning off and on again didn’t reboot it.
I have a August 2023 S and after two months started getting PCM problems which have been:
  • Whole PCM reboots - on one journey, every 5-10 minutes
  • Navigation Windows (only) re-start
  • Navigation remains on "starting screen" with whirly icon
Took this to dealer who took a dump and acknowledged the errors saying it's known problem and has occurred with two other customers. One had been fixed (replacing a "controller" IIRC) but the same procedure hadn't fixed the other.

I have it booked in for them to look into next month - they want it for a week (I believe to dismantle, test then order/replace appropriate part)

This happened a fair bit in October but only once since the dealer visit.
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

samg wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:23 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:50 pm Bumping this because it happened to my wife today in our one month old Macan T. She was passing the dealership just before it closed and they fixed it, but I’ve no idea what they did. If it happens again, does anyone have a fix? Turning off and on again didn’t reboot it.
I have a August 2023 S and after two months started getting PCM problems which have been:
  • Whole PCM reboots - on one journey, every 5-10 minutes
  • Navigation Windows (only) re-start
  • Navigation remains on "starting screen" with whirly icon
Took this to dealer who took a dump and acknowledged the errors saying it's known problem and has occurred with two other customers. One had been fixed (replacing a "controller" IIRC) but the same procedure hadn't fixed the other.

I have it booked in for them to look into next month - they want it for a week (I believe to dismantle, test then order/replace appropriate part)

This happened a fair bit in October but only once since the dealer visit.
Hi Samg, did you manage to get this sorted?

My issue has continued, but was slow to sort as I didn’t want to risk the car been at the OPC for weeks and I needed the car available to me.

I’ve tried rebooting etc., but that doesn’t work. I tend to find that the PCM comes on about 20 mins after I start the car, but I can’t help but think there is some interference with CarPlay. I can’t quite put my finger on it.

After it does come on, and say I go shopping for a couple of hours, it will start as normal when I turn the car on again.

I brought it into Mayfair and they ran diagnostics on the car and it showed up nothing. The car battery is fine. So it needs to be booked into Reading to be looked at, which again, I can’t book in yet.

It be good to know how you got on and how long it took etc..
samg

Post by samg »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 pm
Hi Samg, did you manage to get this sorted?

It be good to know how you got on and how long it took etc..
Not yet, I have it booked in in a couple of weeks when they're going to install a 'new part' - I think replace the PCM unit.

The OPC told me they'd done this on another car and "it has fixed the problem" but that was just after doing the fix so I'll be contacting them a few days before my appointment to 1) check exactly what they're doing and 2) see if there have been any problems with that car - the problem sometimes doesn't show itself for a week or two.

I still occasionally get the problem. Once it starts failing (black screen/restart) it will occur every few minutes until I get to the end of my journey. Usually okay next time it's started.

I'll keep you posted.

Sam
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Thanks a million Sam that’s great. I hope it works for you, and any learnings from other car are helpful.

If your OPC is local, I may well go there too, given they’ll have experienced it :)

Good luck :)
samg

Post by samg »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:16 pm Thanks a million Sam that’s great. I hope it works for you, and any learnings from other car are helpful.

If your OPC is local, I may well go there too, given they’ll have experienced it :)

Good luck :)
You're welcome.

Probably not local to you though - it's in Jersey.

Sam
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Yes that may be a trek :)