MACAN MKI - Rear tailgate conversion kit 2017

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wardy53806

Post by Wardy53806 »

Has anyone installed the Rear tailgate conversion kit to a Macan Mk1- is it worth it.....
I have a 2017 and really like this facelift. Will it effect my re sale price of the vehicle

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

IMO it is bound to affect the resale adversely. It'll put some dealers off and I very much doubt a PC would consider it. Car mods like this sometimes happen after an accident so may lead potential buyers to question if it has been rear-ended.

It'll close the door to extended warranty from Porsche too

Would be better to upgrade your car

Other may well disagree!
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

Madelvic wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:46 am IMO it is bound to affect the resale adversely. It'll put some dealers off and I very much doubt a PC would consider it. Car mods like this sometimes happen after an accident so may lead potential buyers to question if it has been rear-ended.

It'll close the door to extended warranty from Porsche too

Would be better to upgrade your car

Other may well disagree!
+1
I agree, if I were looking for a 2017 Macan I would side step one with this modification, it's not original and brings into question the reason why it was done.
For example there's a 991.1 GT3 for sale with 991.2 bumpers and it's a Cat C car, so bumpers have been changed to make it look newer and to give the perception it's worth more to the untrained eye.
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Sold: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
Sold : 2022 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 pdk PNPZ3NJ9
Sold : 2022 Macan GTS PP6I14Y4
Current: 2018 Gen2 Macan Base (hers)
Due 2023 718 Spyder PPFDEYX7
Mike993

Post by Mike993 »

The Mk1 shape, especially the rear has to be embraced for the fantastic piece of design it is, the older it gets the more recognised as a classic the original will become!

Forward dating as it's called in the classic world historically always ends up a terrible mistake, the owner wants to make his car look like a newer model and ruins it in the process. Think early 911 forward-dated with impact bumpers with all the front slam panel modifications it took, then years later all being taken back to the original shape again when values sky rocketed. Same with 3.2 Carrera's to look like 964's then 964's to look like 993's or narrow bodied to look like turbo's, the only winners are the body and paint shops!

Keep your old shape with the Porsche script standing proud between the separate light units, if you must have a facelift go and buy the later car.

Imho of course! Cheers Mike
2018 GTS Jet Metallic Black with full black leather.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Original tailgate was and still is distinctive with its Terminator lights.

Now the Lightbar makes it difficult to tell a Macan from a Kia.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
vorticalspace

Post by vorticalspace »

I agree with Mike993.
I have a Gen 1 and think that it looks great as is.
My wife really likes the Gen 2/3 rear ends and it arguably looks more modern (and generic).
However the Gen 1 embodies the original design ethos and is undeniably Porsche!!
Porsche Macan S 2018 - Rhodium Silver :D
andreas

Post by andreas »

At the end of the day, a decently-done conversion will cost around £3K and may adversely affect the value of the car. Why bother?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Wardy53806 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:34 am Has anyone installed the Rear tailgate conversion kit to a Macan Mk1- is it worth it.....
I have a 2017 and really like this facelift. Will it effect my re sale price of the vehicle
Of course it is worth it if you really want it. You can do anything you like to your own car. There are many Macans out there with hideous colour combos far worse IMO than adding a rear light bar.

But if you hope it will add value or make it more desirable on resale then you have the answers above.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

99% sure someone in the States did this conversion. Think I must have seen it it on Rennlist.
Your car, if want to change the looks go for it, just keep the original parts!
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

99% sure someone in the States did this conversion, think the Macan was green??? . I must have seen it it on Rennlist.
Your car, if want to change the looks go for it, just keep the original parts!
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)