Carwow Macan GTS Offroad vs X3M

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Fun little video.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94

TEM GTS

Post by TEM GTS »

Great watch! Not that I'd put mine through that. Both did better than I expected (especially the X3 which I thought would be a lot worse due to the stiffer setup - but it did have the higher ground clearance).

I'm not sure the Macan was in the "off road" setting when they measured the 177mm clearance.
Last edited by TEM GTS on Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Macan GTS arrived Sep22!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP6IQD50
Placed deposit Oct21, locked Jul22, delivered Sep22
Sold 987.2 Boxster S Jun22
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I believe a Macan with air suspension set to off road gives 228mm of ground clearance.
Macan S MY 2023
ctcampbell

Post by ctcampbell »

The main thing that made me think is, just like my bikes, the car looks great with a bit of dirt on the wheels.
GlobalNomad

Post by GlobalNomad »

I loved this alternative drag race. I could not tell why the X3M won the penultimate round. To my eyes that should have gone to the Macan.

A pity they messed up the ground clearance measurements. From a quick Google the standard GTS ride is 177mm, but it can be lowered an additional 25mm - lucky they weren’t so daft to take that measurement. In off road mode the air suspension takes it up to 9 inches or 228mm. Maybe someone has the actual numbers from the Porsche data sheet.

Bottom line the Macan seemed so much more confident!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Also in the 1st test they insisted in using launch control which meant the Macan was in sports plus and not offroad. It would be interesting to see a non launch control run with each car free to use the use modes for the task i.e. the Macan in offroad
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There is zero point in an off road comparison of a Macan v Anything, it is just not designed for off road use like a Cayenne, Disco or Range Rover.

The Off Road mode is only suitable for getting about parking on a field for some County Show or up a long unmade drive yo your mansion in the sticks.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:04 pm There is zero point in an off road comparison of a Macan v Anything, it is just not designed for off road use like a Cayenne, Disco or Range Rover.

The Off Road mode is only suitable for getting about parking on a field for some County Show or up a long unmade drive yo your mansion in the sticks.
…and yet it patently did handle the off road test ground in the video… 😶
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Jon A wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:52 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:04 pm There is zero point in an off road comparison of a Macan v Anything, it is just not designed for off road use like a Cayenne, Disco or Range Rover.

…and yet it patently did handle the off road test ground in the video… 😶
True

Not exactly challenging conditions in the video.

Also they do not take Macans round the Off Road course at the PEC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Not so sure a Range Rover is truly an off roader either, apart from the frequent occasions I see them mounted on kerbs outside schools :D

I think of true off roaders as being Defenders and Shoguns etc.
Macan S MY 2023