Trickle charger connection

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Thanks all for the replies, appreciated. It’s now safely tucked up under a cover with a paltry 130 miles on the clock!!!
Hopefully I’ll get time to use it when I’m back next (should have ordered those winter wheels 🤣 )
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pa ... o_EU_1.pdf

The Porsche charger instructions shows a flying pair of leads and a cigar socket connected directly to the battery.

The cigar sockets inside the car shut off after 30 minutes and there is sensing circuits attached to the battery to control internal systems so long term use is best via direct battery connections.

The battery is located in the boot under the spare or under where the spare should be if you do not have one fitted.
If the battery is well down when connecting the charger to the cigarette lighter 12V socket then power shuts off after 30s. Otherwise as long as the charger is turned on within 30s of switching the ignition off it will continuing charging for as long as needed. Personally, I used to feed the cable through a nearly closed driver's window which is not ideal for security if leaving the car for months.

CTEK produce a kit that can be permanently wired to the underbonnet connections with an interface connection (with a weatherproof cap) which allows the charger lead to be fed out via the rear of the bonnet. I think that requires drilling and tapping of the underbonnet connections. I use the crocodile clips on the underbonnet connections but leave the bonnet open. Again not ideal for security.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

On-Track wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:25 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pa ... o_EU_1.pdf

The Porsche charger instructions shows a flying pair of leads and a cigar socket connected directly to the battery.

The cigar sockets inside the car shut off after 30 minutes and there is sensing circuits attached to the battery to control internal systems so long term use is best via direct battery connections.

The battery is located in the boot under the spare or under where the spare should be if you do not have one fitted.
If the battery is well down when connecting the charger to the cigarette lighter 12V socket then power shuts off after 30s. Otherwise as long as the charger is turned on within 30s of switching the ignition off it will continuing charging for as long as needed. Personally, I used to feed the cable through a nearly closed driver's window which is not ideal for security if leaving the car for months.

CTEK produce a kit that can be permanently wired to the underbonnet connections with an interface connection (with a weatherproof cap) which allows the charger lead to be fed out via the rear of the bonnet. I think that requires drilling and tapping of the underbonnet connections. I use the crocodile clips on the underbonnet connections but leave the bonnet open. Again not ideal for security.
That is what I do for a short term off the road store of my car.

For long term then I would use a better connection and also have the wheels on stands.

From personal experience of my Macan

If your garage is tight and you have a flat battery then gaining access to jump start it can be very difficult.

This is what happened to me and it took the recover guy three hours to get in the car and to jump start it after the car had to be laid up for six weeks following an Op that I had.

The bonnet cannot be opened in my garage and the boot is locked with no easy access to release it.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
New User

Post by New User »

On-Track wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:25 pmCTEK produce a kit that can be permanently wired to the underbonnet connections with an interface connection (with a weatherproof cap) which allows the charger lead to be fed out via the rear of the bonnet. I think that requires drilling and tapping of the underbonnet connections. I use the crocodile clips on the underbonnet connections but leave the bonnet open. Again not ideal for security.
Absolutely no drilling required Peter but you need an M8x12mm Bolt to attatch to the positive terminal. The negative terminal just unscrews. Here is my install.

565DA069-03B9-4F0B-9512-8638F6FA6786.jpeg

and with the charging lead attached before closing the bonnet

BE29FAC6-3A28-4EEC-9DB2-E20BFEA10987.jpeg

r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

That looks like a great solution, warranty invalidated 🤣

Just kidding I’m sure OPC’s fit these when they sell their overpriced chargers to their customers 😁
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

New User wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:19 pm
On-Track wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:25 pmCTEK produce a kit that can be permanently wired to the underbonnet connections with an interface connection (with a weatherproof cap) which allows the charger lead to be fed out via the rear of the bonnet. I think that requires drilling and tapping of the underbonnet connections. I use the crocodile clips on the underbonnet connections but leave the bonnet open. Again not ideal for security.
Absolutely no drilling required Peter but you need an M8x12mm Bolt to attatch to the positive terminal. The negative terminal just unscrews. Here is my install.
565DA069-03B9-4F0B-9512-8638F6FA6786.jpeg and with the charging lead attached before closing the bonnetBE29FAC6-3A28-4EEC-9DB2-E20BFEA10987.jpeg
Thanks for that. I hadn't spotted that the positive terminal was already threaded.
Peter

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

New User wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:19 pm
565DA069-03B9-4F0B-9512-8638F6FA6786.jpeg and with the charging lead attached before closing the bonnetBE29FAC6-3A28-4EEC-9DB2-E20BFEA10987.jpeg
I don’t see a fuse in that positive line. I know Cetek accessories have them as I have one fitted to my 911. I’d be very concerned at having unfused wires under the bonnet, if indeed that is the case.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
New User

Post by New User »

Nick I understood there was an inline fuse between the positive charging terminal in the engine bay and the battery in the rear so the CTEK version with LEDs and fuse wasn't required unless you were trying to connect directly to the battery terminals.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

New User wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:00 pm Nick I understood there was an inline fuse between the positive charging terminal in the engine bay and the battery in the rear so the CTEK version with LEDs and fuse wasn't required unless you were trying to connect directly to the battery terminals.
Ok that’s good. Makes sense too, either as a fuse or an ECU controlled CANBUS current limit. In the 911 mine is connected direct to the battery.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

According to the CTEK website (see below), there is a 15A fuse in the accessory. Mind you, I'm not sure what it's protecting. The only way to protect the car battery from shorts due to cable faults would be to mount the fuse in the positive connection of the accessory and I don't see any sign of that from the posted pictures.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-charger ... u-terminal

On the other hand, Ebay is showing "jump start connector fuse boxes" recovered from a damaged Macan and this is fitted with a 15A fuse so it looks as if "New User" is probably right. I must admit I'd always thought that jump starting involved higher currents than 15A at 12V but it looks as if I'm wrong (and not for the first time :D ).
Peter