To Bose or not to Bose?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
london2799

Post by london2799 »

So - my new macan s won’t have the optioned bose…after waiting ten months for it.

How bad is the standard system? I’m seriously considering refusing delivery and ordering a new one… or just throwing in the towel, buying something else

hood69

Post by hood69 »

The standard system is good imo.
Have had BOSE in a good few Porsches and not had it in my last 3 Macan's.
I don't think it's an issue and I like good hifi.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Ok I have both at the moment, standard in my Macan and Bose in a Cayenne.
There is little difference between the two in terms of volume or clarity - the standard system is dam good when the speakers are bedded in.
The Bose system is a surround sound system and to achieve this the sound feels “processed” somehow, so can be slightly richer but lacking in detail. It also has an extremely cheap subwoofer so when the base is turned up it immediately distorts. This can be avoided by keeping the base at a neutral setting.
The standard system is about the same clarity as my Meridean system in the Jag (premium upgrade). If the Bose was £150 option I might have considered it when I bought the Macan but now having experienced both back to back, I wouldn’t spec it at all.
Save yourself the thick end of a grand and don’t worry about it, there’s no need 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
london2799

Post by london2799 »

Thank you both!! Jon/ hood69 - feeling much better after a few hours of angst
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

The “bedding in” period is very important. Personally I thought that was a load of hokum, but it seems not. I was immensely disappointed with the standard system initially but it has got considerably better over time. However, the sound stage is a lot better with Bose. The sound without Bose very obviously comes from the dashboard. You don’t get that feeling you are being enveloped in sound. But the actual quality probably isn’t a lot difference.

From a control point of view the Bose menu offers very little over the standard menu, really just the additional surround sound ( which is either on or off I believe, there’s no adjustment ).

Personally its one of the few items I regret not getting but with a bit of fiddling and letting it bed in the standard sound system is pretty good, just not quite as good as the Bose IMHO. Is it nearly £1000 less good? No.

Not having Bose wont be a deal killer for you.

BTW, how come it isn’t coming with Bose? Was it an issue with the order process or have Porsche decided to drop it, like the electric steering column and the sd and sim card slots?
Last edited by Deleted User 4752 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

I agree with comments already made. Had Bose on 69 plate Gen 2 Macan until last month when my new Gen 3 Macan arrived with standard system. Bose is not worth a grand more in my opinion. Im happy with the sound of the standard system. New Macan S is a superb car, after 1200 miles in less than a month I am loving the driving experience.
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Good thread on Macanforum.com called "Base Sound System versus Bose"
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

petew0557 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 am Good thread on Macanforum.com called "Base Sound System versus Bose"
https://www.macanforum.com/threads/base ... se.185853/
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The standard system is pretty good for a car, certainly good enough not to refuse delivery, which would be a gross example of cutting nose off to spite face.

If you’re an audiophile you’ll know that a car is far from the perfect environment for listening purposes. And I’ve never understood why those claiming to appreciate detailed sound in a car would specify leather seats, with their smooth shiny surfaces. Surely you’d want as much Alcantara as possible? That’s to say nothing about adding a huge expanse of glass in the roof!

And if you’re not an audiophile you’ll find the standard system more than satisfactory.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
mikegally

Post by mikegally »

Hi,
I too have a Cayenne with Bose and a Macan without.
Dont lose a second of sleep over the loss of Bose from your build and enjoy the refund.
Im no audio connoisseur but I cant really tell the difference.

Also, its nice to have a list of desirable options for the re-sale value but Bose is way down the list compared to some others.
Mike