Turbo Whine/Whistle

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:55 am I could hear the turbos spool up on the Turbo while driving with windows open, say on windy roads with walls or high banks, during brief periods of acceleration. It's the same on the 911. I would never describe it as loud or intrusive, I actually quite like it. It is a known feature of turbocharged engines and is undoubtedly more noticeable on some cars more than others. But a marked increase in the sound, or a change from a smooth whine to a more 'abrasive' noise can indicate bearing failure.
Thanks Nick. I don’t think I’d describe it as intrusive and I can’t hear it at all with the windows up, i just can’t say as any other car I’ve owned with turbos was noticeable at all. I hadn’t really noticed it on the Macan until relatively recently. It is “noticable” with the windows down and 100% repeatable but not terrible. Hence the question about if other Macans do this. Definitely not abrasive. If anyone knows how to post video ( other than creating a YouTube video ) i’ll post it so you can see what I mean.

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

You can hear the turbo whistle quite easily on my S3. I've had it from 4 months old and it's always done it. In fact, i'd be more concerned if I couldn't hear it on any car! Especially one with two turbos!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Deleted User 4752

Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am You can hear the turbo whistle quite easily on my S3. I've had it from 4 months old and it's always done it. In fact, i'd be more concerned if I couldn't hear it on any car! Especially one with two turbos!
👍 Thanks
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Plyphon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am You can hear the turbo whistle quite easily on my S3. I've had it from 4 months old and it's always done it. In fact, i'd be more concerned if I couldn't hear it on any car! Especially one with two turbos!
I've never heard it. But then I've got tinnitus at around 7khz
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I can hear mine with the windows up... faint, but definitely hear them. My wife's Mini JCW is the same.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Deleted User 4752

F1 Nut wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:27 pm I can hear mine with the windows up... faint, but definitely hear them. My wife's Mini JCW is the same.
I couldn’t hear it on my mini ( S with a JCW Pro tuning kit and engine remap ). I could hear the wastegates when gunning it but not idle.
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

THHGTTG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm
F1 Nut wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:27 pm I can hear mine with the windows up... faint, but definitely hear them. My wife's Mini JCW is the same.
I couldn’t hear it on my mini ( S with a JCW Pro tuning kit and engine remap ). I could hear the wastegates when gunning it but not idle.
The OP asked when blipping the throttle from rest or when pulling away. In those circumstances, I can hear the turbo with the windows up.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Deleted User 4752

F1 Nut wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:39 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm
The OP asked when blipping the throttle from rest or when pulling away. In those circumstances, I can hear the turbo with the windows up.
Ok, thanks. Sounds like its not in uncommon then.
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Had a good friend who had a similar problem on a new RS4, he ended up in a legal battle with Audi over it, never drove the car for over 12 months whilst in dispute ended up returning the car, refunded and moved on. (There were also other issues with the brakes grabbing) There’s definitely an issue with the turbos on this engine. Some have it some don’t, mines now at 1800 miles with zero whine or whistle whatsoever. How many miles now?
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

It might be worth defining the noise your hearing - theres a clear difference between healthy/happy turbo whistle and "oh shit thats gonna blow" noises.

https://aet-turbos.co.uk/the-turbo-whis ... explained/
What does turbo whistle sound like?
As the name suggests, a turbo whistle sounds like a high pitched whistle or whining sound, heard when the turbocharger kicks in as you accelerate and the revs go up.

For some people, a turbo whistle can be annoying, but to others, it’s actually desirable! In fact, some people purchase aftermarket ‘turbo whistler’ devices that fit inside the exhaust of a vehicle to mimic the sound of the turbo whistle.

A turbo whistle shouldn’t be confused with a police siren or dentist’s drill sound – this is likely to be a sign of something more serious, like compressor wheel damage.

So yeh, dentists drill or 'police siren' sounds (no idea what that means) is bad. The 'good' sound I hear from my turbo is more space-age scii-fi noise, not a 'whine' as such.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94