Speed limit indicator

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

andywebber wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:41 pm
RGS wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 am Surely if you get the OPC to install the software as a retro fit it would be a lot cheaper than Eu 400 from a third party? I have Google maps, the Porsche map or Waze to select from, they all show the current speed limits because I get frequent map updates, but I mainly use Waze because of the additional information it gives. I have never bothered with Speed Sign Recognition as you have to take your eyes off the road to read it. I only ever found it useful with the HUD I had on my previous AMG C63s.
I did ask about this and the local OPC said they would not be prepared to do it and I would guess even if they did it would be about the same cost I bet, knowing how much they charge!

As I said I think at about £200 for a option on a brand new car it is not too bad value for money.

Andrew
It's easier to see the speed sign recognition as it's straight in front of you by the speedo. The Waze speed indicator is off the left on the centre screen. I find it much safer looking at the Porsche indicator straight ahead
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)

robbie

Post by robbie »

Skyway wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:42 am I do the 4 rows but the speed indicator does cover a small portion of the 4th row
I think the Porsche version is a bit of an afterthought, why did they stick it in the bottom right hand corner on one of the MFD displays which as Skyway has said just blocks the data on the 4th row. I know you can scroll through the MFD as it has it's own display screen but there was plenty of space within the two larger screens to put this stand-alone without impacting other data displays. My wife's Fiat 500e has it nicely in the upper middle of her digital speedo display screen and it gives you a gentle beep and flashes if you drive over the speed limit. But although I have two operational Mk1 eyeballs I do find it useful just to remind me what speed limit I'm driving in. I would certainly recommend it as an option to purchase and, in my view, does not distract you from keeping yours eyes on the road
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
crockers

Post by crockers »

If you use Sygic via Apple CarPlay it gives a noise when exceeding speed limit Not the speed shown on a Speedo but speed via satellite
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

RGS wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 am Surely if you get the OPC to install the software as a retro fit it would be a lot cheaper than Eu 400 from a third party? I have Google maps, the Porsche map or Waze to select from, they all show the current speed limits because I get frequent map updates, but I mainly use Waze because of the additional information it gives. I have never bothered with Speed Sign Recognition as you have to take your eyes off the road to read it. I only ever found it useful with the HUD I had on my previous AMG C63s.
You also have to take your eyes of the road to check what speed you're doing.

I've never experienced HUD but I'd have thought you would have to change your point of focus to read it.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

On-Track wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:40 am
You also have to take your eyes of the road to check what speed you're doing.

I've never experienced HUD but I'd have thought you would have to change your point of focus to read it.
Indeed, disractions! It's only advanced drivers like Col and Tracky who KNOW their speed AND the road limits without diverting any attention, which obviously remains 100% focused 100% of the time. Very necessary when mingling on the roads with the rest of us mere mortals and flibbertigibbets! :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP