Potential new owner....

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
cliveyp

Post by cliveyp »

Found this forum through a Google search on the Tewkesbury dealership just now so thought I would sign up; say 'Hi' and hopefully learn a lot from you guys here.

We're looking at the potential move away from BMW and, instead of replacing our current X1 with an X3, perhaps looking at a used Macan or (maybe) Cayenne. I've just this morning dropped a mail to Tewkesbury with them being our closest centre with the hope that we can head down to view both and get a feel for if one of them might work for us.

Being a petrolhead myself (older VW's mainly), the pull towards a Porsche is strong, but the wife (the main driver of whatever we get) isn't so easily stirred...... :lol:

Any tips/things to look for/advice?

TIA

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Get a test drive. The Macan is well finished and lovely to drive.

Your wife will hopefully love it :D :D
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

My wife moved from an Evoque to a new Macan S this year. She’s not a “petrol head” so to speak and was swayed by my thoughts on getting one. However she absolutely loves the car since she picked it up. Think she has a new found love for driving’

As previous comment, we’ll worth a test drive. Depends on your budget but a lot of people suggest stretching to an S if you can.
crockers

Post by crockers »

The new S has a 12 month waiting list so used ones are keeping their residuals
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Test drive time and not just a quick run around the block but a reasonable drive to test it out in all road conditions.

A Macan car ride from silky smooth and comfortable all the way to crash bang wallop, depending upon the wheels, suspension and seating.

So do read up on configuration posts and get a flavour of what the options are and what your family Must Haves actually are.

I would look for an S, GTS or Turbo with options:- 20” wheels, PASM, 14 way seats, surround cam and spare wheel as the basic minimum.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
cliveyp

Post by cliveyp »

Thanks all.

Budget-wise, we'll be looking at a relatively early one (if we went with a main dealer purchase), maybe a year newer from an independent. This has all stemmed from an idea of changing our current X1 to an X3 then looking into alternatives in the same sort of budget - so probably a 2016/17 S/SD, or a 17 4-pot would probably fit, with the Cayenne being a firm 2016 car. As we do not have a specific car in mind just yet, options are very open to what we find.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

A Porsche warranty will help you sleep at night...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
cliveyp

Post by cliveyp »

Thanks for the heads-up Neil, I completely understand.

So, we went to have a look at a used GTS at the weekend. Initial thoughts were that it was a beautiful car, but I was massively disappointed to find the rear leg room lacking. Maybe it was something to do with the driver seat height, but with me sat in a comfortable position, the rear passenger behind me would have had around 3" less leg room than in our current X1. Short of ignoring any rear seat passengers (difficult as the daughter gets older and will want ferrying about more), I think it's a non-starter.

One thing I did find interesting in the chat with the SE which I would also like to run through you guys, is the way that they handle their PCP and final values. I had understood that they tend to load the monthly repayments in order to give you a larger equity at the end of the agreement, but he was keen to point out that they also like to try to get you to change early. He was indicating a 4 year agreement would mean they would try to get you to change at the 18-24 month point and you'd have enough equity to justify this. He also stated that "most Porsche owners" find that they have that much equity by the time they get to number 4 or 5 that they are buying much more premium models or taking cash out of a deal when they come to replace. This almost seems too good to be true. Is this really the case??
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

cliveyp wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:57 am Thanks for the heads-up Neil, I completely understand.

So, we went to have a look at a used GTS at the weekend. Initial thoughts were that it was a beautiful car, but I was massively disappointed to find the rear leg room lacking. Maybe it was something to do with the driver seat height, but with me sat in a comfortable position, the rear passenger behind me would have had around 3" less leg room than in our current X1. Short of ignoring any rear seat passengers (difficult as the daughter gets older and will want ferrying about more), I think it's a non-starter.

One thing I did find interesting in the chat with the SE which I would also like to run through you guys, is the way that they handle their PCP and final values. I had understood that they tend to load the monthly repayments in order to give you a larger equity at the end of the agreement, but he was keen to point out that they also like to try to get you to change early. He was indicating a 4 year agreement would mean they would try to get you to change at the 18-24 month point and you'd have enough equity to justify this. He also stated that "most Porsche owners" find that they have that much equity by the time they get to number 4 or 5 that they are buying much more premium models or taking cash out of a deal when they come to replace. This almost seems too good to be true. Is this really the case??
I had the same spiel about “getting you out of the PCP agreement after a couple of years” on my previous car. Never heard a word from them again once I took the PCP out and the promise they made me on a buy back price also vanished when I tried to take them up on it ( this was mini/BMW). Ultimately I sold it to one of those on-line car buying companies at enough of a value to cover 4 years worth of interest on the PCP, so effectively had it for 4 years at 0% apr.

My OPC made no such claims, which is a bit more realistic I think.

I believe my “bubble payment” is £26k, and I’m pretty sure it will be worth more than that in 3 years time, so I’ll probably do the same when it comes to selling it. By then I’ll be moving to electric.
cliveyp

Post by cliveyp »

THHGTTG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:21 am I had the same spiel about “getting you out of the PCP agreement after a couple of years” on my previous car. Never heard a word from them again once I took the PCP out and the promise they made me on a buy back price also vanished when I tried to take them up on it ( this was mini/BMW). Ultimately I sold it to one of those on-line car buying companies at enough of a value to cover 4 years worth of interest on the PCP, so effectively had it for 4 years at 0% apr.

My OPC made no such claims, which is a bit more realistic I think.

I believe my “bubble payment” is £26k, and I’m pretty sure it will be worth more than that in 3 years time, so I’ll probably do the same when it comes to selling it. By then I’ll be moving to electric.
That's interesting - we've had a couple of Mini's on PCP, and the current X1 is too, and only once has the dealer made the claim to me that we would be in a position to change early. This was on the wife's first Mini Cooper S, which was in fact changed at 3 years into a 4 year deal. The replacement Cooper SD then ended up being VT'd as even at the end of the deal it was worth less than the GFV. The current X1 was bought, arguably, just at the right time. We had just come out of the first lockdown so dealers needed to shift stock, yet prices hadn't taken the hike that they now have - hence, at 2 years in, we still have the same equity that we placed as the initial deposit.

I found it interesting that the OPC SE was keen to push this. That said, he wasn't a particularly personable bloke. Whilst perfectly reasonable to deal with, he did have the familiar salesman vibe which I am not a fan of, where our previous BMW contact was much more friendly and did appear to want to help place us in the right car.