GTS suspension clarification

All your ordering information here!
Armyaxl

Post by Armyaxl »

I read the post below on renlist. it basically compares gts air suspension with normal air suspension option. He says low level and high level are the same height for both. Only in comfort mode does gts air ride 10mm lower. is this correct?

I have a 2022 GTS. I too selected the air suspension option in the configuration (+10mm). You have to read the additional description of this zero cost option to fully understand what this is. (Porsche Description:For Macan GTS, removal of Standard Sport Air Suspension and GTS specific suspension tuning. Vehicle height in Normal Mode +10mm vs standard GTS Sport air suspension) Let me explain, In normal mode this option sets the suspension height 10mm higher. The suspension is programmed to this to allow for a more compliant ride in normal mode. When you select the low level the suspension lowers to the same height as the standard GTS suspension low setting. The programming is allowing for 10mm more between the normal setting and the low setting. The standard GTS suspension does not sit 10mm lower when low is selected. It only sits 10mm lower in normal. Since the option allows for a higher ride height in the normal setting a more compliant ride is achieved. That is the intention of this no cost option. Once the vehicle is lowered ride stiffness and handling characteristics are the same as the standard suspension. The picture below shows my GTS in the low level setting. I have compared it against another 2022 GTS with standard suspension and both are the same height in the low setting. A Porsche dealership can adjust the height of the air suspension on the Macan/Cayenne. I had my 2018 GTS lowered by my dealership, which stiffened the ride substantially as the air bladders when compressed naturally are stiffer. So an adjustment is available if you can’t live with the +10mm in normal. I do not know if this option contains different parts, but I would be surprised if Porsche created two suspensions for this model. My feeling is the hardware is the same and it’s programming of the air suspension. Personally I like the setting, you get more movement from the normal to low setting. Hope this helps.

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I don't know for certain, but some countries get different standard and option configuration. It might be where this person lives the 'standard' suspension is set up the same as the lower GTS specific.

You should ask your dealer to be sure, but I am of the impression the 'GTS Specific suspension' (the suspension the GTS comes with as standard) in the UK sits 10mm lower in the most aggressive setting than the 'standard' no cost option swap out suspension.

Additionally, the poster is correct re: adjustable height. It's just a figure put into the car's computer that then tells the air pumps how much to pump up the suspension. You can use it to have fun and slam your car if you're brave. You can usually set that per-setting also. So you could have a normal ride for comfort then slam it to oblivion for Sport Plus or something. This is why I suspect the country the poster was from may have a different set up to the UK, as it's easily configurable per territory. Now why Porsche would do that, I don't know/can't answer!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Seems pointless ordering a GTS without the GTS suspension. Just order an S if you dont want the GTS setup.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Porsche has two suspension configurations for the GTS v the base, S and Turbo models. When it was available the Turbo PP shared the same suspension setup as the GTS.

Forget the air suspension equipped models for a sec, the GTS has PASM as standard and a suspension system that gives a lower ride height as compared to the other variants.

Throughout the Porsche range it is the GTS that is the variant that has the suspension setup configured for the best handling.

Add air suspension and that enables the actual ride height to be adjusted, typically lowered or raised into a semi off road mode. As stated depending upon country an air equipped car can have whatever Porsche set as the natural ride height and the lowered ride height can also be set to suit local roads.

My old Turbo has air and it can be lowered by 10mm at the touch of the button, incidentally if it is selected it does improve the ride comfort as well as the handling
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 am Porsche has two suspension configurations for the GTS v the base, S and Turbo models. When it was available the Turbo PP shared the same suspension setup as the GTS.

Forget the air suspension equipped models for a sec, the GTS has PASM as standard and a suspension system that gives a lower ride height as compared to the other variants.

Throughout the Porsche range it is the GTS that is the variant that has the suspension setup configured for the best handling.

Add air suspension and that enables the actual ride height to be adjusted, typically lowered or raised into a semi off road mode. As stated depending upon country an air equipped car can have whatever Porsche set as the natural ride height and the lowered ride height can also be set to suit local roads.

My old Turbo has air and it can be lowered by 10mm at the touch of the button, incidentally if it is selected it does improve the ride comfort as well as the handling
Col, a point of clarification. What you have posted was correct for the GTS up to and including MY21. From MY22 (or Gen 3 if you prefer) air suspension became standard on the GTS. The option being discussed on this thread is to have the S suspension settings on a GTS which is a no cost option.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

On-Track wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:13 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 am Porsche has two suspension configurations for the GTS v the base, S and Turbo models. When it was available the Turbo PP shared the same suspension setup as the GTS.

Col, a point of clarification. What you have posted was correct for the GTS up to and including MY21. From MY22 (or Gen 3 if you prefer) air suspension became standard on the GTS. The option being discussed on this thread is to have the S suspension settings on a GTS which is a no cost option.
Secondary point of clarification PASM is now standard on S and GTS. Air suspension which is standard on GTS and optional on S lowers the default ride height day to day. You then have a button for lowering the car further(low mode). The are default height settings.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

BanZ wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:35 am
Secondary point of clarification PASM is now standard on S and GTS. Air suspension which is standard on GTS and optional on S lowers the default ride height day to day. You then have a button for lowering the car further(low mode). The are default height settings.
The ground clearance of the GTS in the normal setting is 177mm. For the S with air suspension it's 187mm and with steel suspension it's 202mm. As you point out, if you select low the air suspension lowers by 10mm. If you select off road then the car rises by 40mm. I think the raise and lower levels are the same for S and GTS.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
FSB

Post by FSB »

Regarding the comment from the OP, if the ground clearance of the GTS suspension is 177mm in the normal (comfort) setting then as far as I understand engaging 'Low Level' will drop it a further 10mm to give a height of 167mm.
As the 'no cost' optional standard suspension (S) gives 187mm of clearance does selecting 'Low Level' give a drop of 20mm as intimated by Armyaxl or would it be 177mm?

Only asking as my freeze date is fast approaching and need to make a decision whether to stick with the GTS suspension or opt for the Standard suspension. I currently have a 2020 GTS which I drive around in comfort + low level most of the time however, where I live, some of the roads are fairly rough and a suspension setup which is a bit softer than I have at present would be a bonus but only if I could revert to the ride height of the GTS suspension + Low Level (167mm)
Nige

2016: Boxster 981 GTS in GT Silver
2020: Macan GTS in Crayon
On order: GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PR9P7VG9
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I don't notice ANY difference in ride between Low and Normal, I have it set to Low as a rule. If for some reason it goes to normal I only notice the height difference due to the sill being more noticeable when getting out. That said I may not be the best judge as I think the difference between Comfort, Sport and Sport+ suspension settings is almost imperceptible. It was undetectable in my Gen2 on 18" wheels!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

pstrat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:29 am Seems pointless ordering a GTS without the GTS suspension. Just order an S if you dont want the GTS setup.
Bridge back under.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper