Porsche connect services

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

That makes sense pmg but if it stops my phone working what's the point?

Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

pmg wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:36 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:35 pm
petew0557 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:55 pm When i picked my car up they tried to do this and use my phone as an additional sim, but when i connect my phone using bluetooth it stops my phone working so don't bother. It wasn't explained that well to me to be honest
sadly cant do that. Until about Oct last year the cars came with a separate external sim slot. Now you need to use the inbuilt one and pay £20 a month.
You do not need a sim slot if you are using your phones sim to do the data download. On my Gen2 car with a sim slot Device manager gives me three options for the data download, 1) the inbuilt Vodaphone sim, 2) an external sim I place in the sim slot or 3) my mobiles sim when it is connected via blue tooth. cars without external sim slots I believe still have the last option.
sadly not. you cant use data from your phone in Gen 3 cars. obviously you can access stuff on your phone and pipe it to the car using bluetooth but your car cant use the data from your phone. The only choice for data is to pay Porsche £20 a month for 7gb
GTB

Post by GTB »

petew0557 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:55 pm When i picked my car up they tried to do this and use my phone as an additional sim, but when i connect my phone using bluetooth it stops my phone working so don't bother. It wasn't explained that well to me to be honest
Petew0557,

Exact same happened to my phone when I collected my car 4 weeks ago, so I know why you have that issue so please pm me and I hope I can help sort for you. When they were pairing your Porsche I’d to the car they used my mob for the data connection instead of the inbuilt sim!

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Nella

Post by Nella »

I’ll have to check that at the OPC when the car goes in on Tuesday as my PCM shows the car using my phones data?!???
Deleted User 4752

Nella wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:27 am I’ll have to check that at the OPC when the car goes in on Tuesday as my PCM shows the car using my phones data?!???
so when you go to the audio drop down you get DAB etc, do you get “On Line” as well? can you play internet radio stations? See pictures below :

C6206EBA-75C1-481E-BE30-4A78ACC8ED05.jpeg

A4382FC1-53CC-4535-995C-3E1A7D961DA3.jpeg

589E57A6-172B-40F5-A79D-EEB6CCD8FDA8.jpeg

New User

Post by New User »

THHGTTG wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:34 pm
sadly not. you cant use data from your phone in Gen 3 cars. obviously you can access stuff on your phone and pipe it to the car using bluetooth but your car cant use the data from your phone. The only choice for data is to pay Porsche £20 a month for 7gb
Hi Omni, not strictly true. If you set your phone to a wifi hotspot mode then you can set the PCM to use this for data instead of the built in sim card. Bit of a faff but works fine on my iphone if you want to listen to internet stations. For Apple users then there is very little point as carplay is easier all round but Android phone users may want to set this up rather than pay for the 7GB Porsche data package.
Deleted User 4752

New User wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:22 am
Hi Omni, not strictly true. If you set your phone to a wifi hotspot mode then you can set the PCM to use this for data instead of the built in sim card. Bit of a faff but works fine on my iphone if you want to listen to internet stations. For Apple users then there is very little point as carplay is easier all round but Android phone users may want to set this up rather than pay for the 7GB Porsche data package.
That’s brilliant. I’ll give that a go. You may have just saved me a bit of wedge. Thanks

One thing to note though: my son uses his phone data package and apple car play in his car but it loses internet connection more often than the LTE does in the Macan
pmg

Post by pmg »

THHGTTG wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:36 am
New User wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:22 am
That’s brilliant. I’ll give that a go. You may have just saved me a bit of wedge. Thanks

One thing to note though: my son uses his phone data package and apple car play in his car but it loses internet connection more often than the LTE does in the Macan
Another thing you may have to watch is that some mobile co's have a limit on the amount of in package data that can be used for what they call tethering (using data over Wi-Fi for attached device like laptop or car. I know Three used to have a limit.

Personally, i have little faith in using a mobile connection for steaming while in a moving car
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nella

Post by Nella »

THHGTTG wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:24 am
Nella wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:27 am I’ll have to check that at the OPC when the car goes in on Tuesday as my PCM shows the car using my phones data?!???
so when you go to the audio drop down you get DAB etc, do you get “On Line” as well? can you play internet radio stations? See pictures below :

C6206EBA-75C1-481E-BE30-4A78ACC8ED05.jpeg

A4382FC1-53CC-4535-995C-3E1A7D961DA3.jpeg

589E57A6-172B-40F5-A79D-EEB6CCD8FDA8.jpeg
Will check when I get home next week