Violent shudder at high revs & warning light

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Macanori wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:38 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:31 pm
Macanori wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:55 pm Quick update from today:

Car has been back and forth from the garage and is now there for the next few days given then can’t find a fix.

Basically they’ve now installed a new high pressure fuel pump, a low pressure pump (I think this is located in the fuel tank) and a fuel sensor and it still persists. The dealer isn’t sure yet what’s causing it so it’s a process of elimination.

To recap, it’s only 8m old, 8k miles and a Macan S. Quite concerning! Oh and the fuel is fine so it wasn’t that. What to look at next? Coils / injectors?
I think the problem is there are so many sensors and micro-processors on cars these days that any one failure could cause issues. You’d expect any actual failures to show up on the diagnostic devices though.

Arguably the “only 8 months old” thing can be seen as actually quite good ( for you ) as all this will be covered under warranty. And as much as I am not shy when it comes to pointing out the failings of Porsche, or the Macan in particular, I do feel that in this instance you’ve just been really unlucky.

I hope they get it sorted soon. Presumably they’ve at least given you a decent loaner.
Yeah true!

Tell me if I’m overreacting but I guess I’m concerned / disappointed as this is the most expensive car I’ve ever bought and I expected a lot from Porsche as a result, so now not sure how I feel about the car…
Well, my opinion doesn’t really gel with some others on this forum. I have been disappointed that on a £67k car I had to have body work done because the door and bonnet didn’t line up. Others think it’s perfectly acceptable that the sunroof’s have been known to leak and the transfer box can fail within a few thousand miles. Also there is a LOT on this forum about satnavs not working, and I had an issue with the data I was paying for not being available. Add generally poor customer service and I personally think you have a right to be upset, others will undoubtedly disagree.

However, to put this into context I genuinely think in this circumstance you’ve just been unlucky. The Macan is a pretty good car and as long as its under warranty these issues are an annoyance more than anything else. Ultimately if you got the car on finance you can drive it until the finance and warranty run out, hand it back and buy something a bit more reliable. If you paid it outright you can always sell it. There are a massive number of people who are Porsche fan boys inside and out and totally blind to their failings, as you can see on a lot of posts on this forum ( which is sort of fair as it is a Porsche forum )

Having said all that, on the whole I’m perfectly happy with mine now they have sorted the door out ( a build quality issue I have NEVER had with any other car in nearly 40 years of driving ) and its a fantastic long distance cruiser and a pretty good SUV as long as you don’t confuse it for a sports car.

Let Porsche sort it, see if you bond with it and if not sell it. It is a slightly disappointing approach to buying or owning a car but you own it now so make the most of it. When they have sorted it you’ll enjoy driving it again.

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I would feel the same to be honest, but if it’s a sensor that could happen on any car at any age.
Macan S MY 2023
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

THHGTTG wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:31 pm There are a massive number of people who are Porsche fan boys inside and out and totally blind to their failings, as you can see on a lot of posts on this forum ( which is sort of fair as it is a Porsche forum )
Who are these Porsche fan boys you talk about on here then? I've seen you post this 3 times now, but you have deleted these posts.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

They'd be the ones who emit steam from their ears when anything negative is posted about the marque...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Resurrecting this thread with an update…

It’s been a CRAZY few months. In a nut shell the dealer and Porsche HQ diagnosed the issue…and it wasn’t pretty!

It started when the garage confirmed that after replacing both the high pressure fuel pump and the low pressure one (in the tank), that there was lots of swarf (tiny metal fragments) in the fuel sample from the tank :o

Long story short I went through the official process with the fuel station (just to check, whilst Porsche investigated further) who eventually confirmed (with a detailed report) that there was no issue with the fuel. But before this anyway, the dealer was able to confirm that it looked like the low pressure fuel pump in the tank had basically eaten itself and spewed swarf everywhere.

After a long wait for parts (they gave me a good courtesy car for the whole time), I now have a brand new fuel system, even a brand new fuel tank, both pumps, all of the injectors and pipes/rails etc all covered by warranty of course. The dealer was really good to be fair and I picked it up with a full tank last week - they said it was one of the biggest jobs they’ve done.

I still feel a bit bitter with the brand / car but I’m going to give it time - it’s not even 1 year old yet! Maybe I was just very unlucky but it will be interesting to see if this impacts anyone else down the line.

Anyway, thought it’s only fair to close the thread off…I hope! So far so good for the past week, touch wood!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

All’s well that ends well! :)

Hoping the car is faultless for the rest of its time with you.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Seems an odd design to put anything motorised inside a fuel tank. Surely any motor will wear inside there? Good to hear you got good service though.
Macan S MY 2023
Lanmate

Post by Lanmate »

Plenty of cool liquid available to act as a heat sink for the pump.
Gen3 GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPRAXAE8

Ordered 11th Aug 2021, Arrived OPC 7th Oct 2022, Collected 9th Dec 2022
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Macanori wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:51 am Resurrecting this thread with an update…

It’s been a CRAZY few months. In a nut shell the dealer and Porsche HQ diagnosed the issue…and it wasn’t pretty!

It started when the garage confirmed that after replacing both the high pressure fuel pump and the low pressure one (in the tank), that there was lots of swarf (tiny metal fragments) in the fuel sample from the tank :o

Long story short I went through the official process with the fuel station (just to check, whilst Porsche investigated further) who eventually confirmed (with a detailed report) that there was no issue with the fuel. But before this anyway, the dealer was able to confirm that it looked like the low pressure fuel pump in the tank had basically eaten itself and spewed swarf everywhere.

After a long wait for parts (they gave me a good courtesy car for the whole time), I now have a brand new fuel system, even a brand new fuel tank, both pumps, all of the injectors and pipes/rails etc all covered by warranty of course. The dealer was really good to be fair and I picked it up with a full tank last week - they said it was one of the biggest jobs they’ve done.

I still feel a bit bitter with the brand / car but I’m going to give it time - it’s not even 1 year old yet! Maybe I was just very unlucky but it will be interesting to see if this impacts anyone else down the line.

Anyway, thought it’s only fair to close the thread off…I hope! So far so good for the past week, touch wood!
Thanks for the update, very helpful to know the cause. Glad the OPC has fixed it now and obviously replaced the whole fuel system which is necessary for a contamination event like this. You have been very unlucky but I would expect you will now be able to enjoy your car to the full!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Hopefully just an isolated fault and all is good now

I did have a problem years ago with the pump in the fuel tank of a Vauxhall Vectra. The vauxhall dealer did fix the problem but did not fit the pump properly. As I was filling the tank the petrol overflowed flooding the forecourt. I was not happy :( :(

Hopefully your Macan is now trouble free :D :D