Violent shudder at high revs & warning light

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
pmg

Post by pmg »

GTB wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:34 pm

why I only buy fuel from 90% of the UKs filling stations.

GTB
I am not understanding the 90%. You said you only buy from stations owned directly by the majors. This rules out supermarkets and sites owned by the big groups like EG and MFG. I would have thought that rules out more than 10 per cent of sites?

Also how do you or we recognise whether a site is owned directly by say Shell, BP or Esso or another major?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

GTB

Post by GTB »

AllanG wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:20 pm .........And might I ask which filling stations you use when taking your cars abroad, GTB? Or don’t you ever drive outside the UK?
I dont take my own cars outwith the UK, But when I do drive anywhere Internationally I will fill up at one of the major oil company sites having done some research first.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

GTB wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:59 pm
AllanG wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:20 pm .........And might I ask which filling stations you use when taking your cars abroad, GTB? Or don’t you ever drive outside the UK?
I dont take my own cars outwith the UK, But when I do drive anywhere Internationally I will fill up at one of the major oil company sites having done some research first.

GTB
Bloody ‘ell, if I did that for every fill up I’ve done during the past month here in France, I wouldn’t have time to drive my car lol!!! 🤣

Each to their own!!
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
GTB

Post by GTB »

pmg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:32 pm
GTB wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:34 pm

why I only buy fuel from 90% of the UKs filling stations.

GTB
I am not understanding the 90%. You said you only buy from stations owned directly by the majors. This rules out supermarkets and sites owned by the big groups like EG and MFG. I would have thought that rules out more than 10 per cent of sites?

Also how do you or we recognise whether a site is owned directly by say Shell, BP or Esso or another major?
PMG,
My mistake should have said 10% and not 90% so I have corrected my post, apologies for any damage caused.

To recognise what filling stations are company owned and those that are dealer operated you need to go onto the websites of those majors and there is a list or map of locations. EG and MFG and others again go on their websites and they will give site locations, EG and MFG have fuel agreements in place for bp, Shell, Esso, Texaco etc so looking at the branding only indicates the fuel sold. But look at the till receipt and you will see exactly who the company is that owns the property and infrastructure, MFG sites on the signware above the front door will usually say MFG somewhere.

So to help everyone out here is the latest info on UK filling station operators, so column to look at is the one furthest to the right that indicates No of actual company owned and run sites compared to those that just sell the fuel.

20220731_142253.jpg

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
pmg

Post by pmg »

GTB wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:27 pm
PMG,
My mistake should have said 10% and not 90% so I have corrected my post, apologies for any damage caused.

To recognise what filling stations are company owned and those that are dealer operated you need to go onto the websites of those majors and there is a list or map of locations. EG and MFG and others again go on their websites and they will give site locations, EG and MFG have fuel agreements in place for bp, Shell, Esso, Texaco etc so looking at the branding only indicates the fuel sold. But look at the till receipt and you will see exactly who the company is that owns the property and infrastructure, MFG sites on the signware above the front door will usually say MFG somewhere.

So to help everyone out here is the latest info on UK filling station operators, so column to look at is the one furthest to the right that indicates No of actual company owned and run sites compared to those that just sell the fuel.

20220731_142253.jpg

Cheers GTB
Thanks I did think 10 % was more likely.

I would have to give up the Esso PCGB fuel card gains to follow your policy as all the local ESSO West Sussex garages are owned by EG, MFG or Rontec. As a regularly visiter to North Norfolk and Mid Wales I would also struggle.

Locally I suspect the Shell is actually owned by them but then V power currently would cost me 10p per litre more than Esso 99 after PCGB discount never mind I get slightly better mpg from Esso than V power.
crockers

Post by crockers »

Talking of fuel. What happens to a car if one accidentally puts E10 fuel in and not E5 ?
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

crockers wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:37 pm Talking of fuel. What happens to a car if one accidentally puts E10 fuel in and not E5 ?
Nothing. Manual ( and filler cap ) says its fine.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

crockers wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:37 pm Talking of fuel. What happens to a car if one accidentally puts E10 fuel in and not E5 ?
E10 is going into mine 90% of the time ;). 100% fine for a Gen 3 S
Macan S MY 2023
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Always E10 in my Gen 2 S, with no probs at all 👍👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
pmg

Post by pmg »

No problems but less performance and Mpg at the margin