Violent shudder at high revs & warning light

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Hi all,

Just driven home in my 21 Macan S and had a worrying experience with the car - I’ve already booked into the garage for Friday but wanted advice in the meantime.

Car was fully up to temp and I was accelerating onto the motorway, giving it a bit of beans, then once it hit between 5-6k rpm, it developed only what I can describe as a misfire/severe jerking up and down on the revs and then the amber engine warning light came on, driving permitted. I got home but it wouldn’t allow me to accelerate any more after that. I can’t underline how violent the jerking was…I’m confused as to what’s going on - I’ve only done 8k miles and worried it’s something serious.

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

My wife’s Merc had something like this a while ago and I had to keep gas on the throttle and left foot brake it home. It seemed terrible but was a faulty air bleed valve (something like that) and then the ECU reacting to it because it believed it needed to protect the engine.

When we took it to the garage if behaved normally and nothing showed up. Fortunately as the engineer took it off the ramp the issue reoccurred and they hooked the analysers up. Once the valve was replaced the car returned to its normal self.
Macan S MY 2023
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

This is the warning I got - thing is, I turned it off and it goes away but as soon as I set off again and started to bring the revs up, it came back on. So will the dealers computer pick it up even if the warning isn’t on again?

The only way I can describe it was like hitting a rev limiter / fuel cutting out. I literally just filled up with a full tank of Esso Supreme unleaded, could it be a bad batch of fuel?! I’ve never experienced anything like this before.

AF67B11B-34F4-495E-BF83-79F2726764DA.jpeg

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I believe these errors are logged and remain readable, could be wrong others will soon shout if so, but it's under warranty so relax, probably nowt anyway!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

It’s highly unlikely to be anything serious. My mate had a cayman throw a serious wobble not unlike what you describe. It took a while to diagnose but turned out to be a wonky crankshaft position sensor which supplied the ECU with erroneous info causing all sorts of issues with ignition & fueling. Please do let us know how you get on.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dodgy fuel is not unheard of, storage tanks can be contaminated, possibly by water. Hope you still have your receipt. But as others say it may be a faulty sensor and is likely to have recorded a fault code.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Macanori wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:43 pm This is the warning I got - thing is, I turned it off and it goes away but as soon as I set off again and started to bring the revs up, it came back on. So will the dealers computer pick it up even if the warning isn’t on again?

The only way I can describe it was like hitting a rev limiter / fuel cutting out. I literally just filled up with a full tank of Esso Supreme unleaded, could it be a bad batch of fuel?! I’ve never experienced anything like this before.
What I want to know is how you get a reading of 500+ on range. My highest so far (3 fill ups) is 420.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

I can only assume I got this range as I just brimmed the tank and as it went into limp mode, I couldn’t accelerate even if my foot was flat on the floor. Assuming that’s what it was?
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Quick update:

It’s been diagnosed by my Porsche garage as having a faulty high pressure fuel pump - so essentially the car was being starved of fuel at high revs. Fortunately managed to get a video of the revs when it was happening to show the technician. The part has been ordered and is getting changed next week so I decided to leave the Macan at the garage as don’t want to drive around in it anymore like that.

Anyone else had / heard of this fault or have I just been unlucky?
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Macanori wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:19 pm Quick update:

It’s been diagnosed by my Porsche garage as having a faulty high pressure fuel pump - so essentially the car was being starved of fuel at high revs. Fortunately managed to get a video of the revs when it was happening to show the technician. The part has been ordered and is getting changed next week so I decided to leave the Macan at the garage as don’t want to drive around in it anymore like that.

Anyone else had / heard of this fault or have I just been unlucky?
Not on the Macan ( yet, anyway ). I did have it replaced on my 335i as a recall item.