Air Suspension

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

For all those people who cant decide whether to specify Air Suspension or not when configuring their car, please DO NOT hesitate.
I was given some good advice on this forum and I'm thankful i took it.
I have 21" alloys on my new S but the ride is brilliant.
Today I drove over some very bad roads with potholes and poor repairs that probably needed re-surfacing and i hardly felt a thing.
The ride is firm to help the sporty roadholding but its not harsh like all of the BMW's Ive ever had.
The five things i like best about my car are;
!1 The S Engine, thought my Gen 2 Engine was good, but this is on another level.
2) Air Suspension
3) Surround View, essential to protect your alloys and aid parking
4) My alloys/Red callipers, was going to have them painted black(wheels) but glad i didn't.
5) The colour - Gentian Blue. Either in the sunlight or under lights it looks stunning
Cant wait till its run in!!

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

petew0557 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 pm For all those people who cant decide whether to specify Air Suspension or not when configuring their car, please DO NOT hesitate.
I was given some good advice on this forum and I'm thankful i took it.
I have 21" alloys on my new S but the ride is brilliant.
Today I drove over some very bad roads with potholes and poor repairs that probably needed re-surfacing and i hardly felt a thing.
The ride is firm to help the sporty roadholding but its not harsh like all of the BMW's Ive ever had.
The five things i like best about my car are;
!1 The S Engine, thought my Gen 2 Engine was good, but this is on another level.
2) Air Suspension
3) Surround View, essential to protect your alloys and aid parking
4) My alloys/Red callipers, was going to have them painted black(wheels) but glad i didn't.
5) The colour - Gentian Blue. Either in the sunlight or under lights it looks stunning
Cant wait till its run in!!
I think this is the PASM more than air creating the ride comfort but I have air and it does a great job of keeping the car flatter in corners, and I like the lowered ride height.
Those Spyders are super attractive and really suit your spec. Lovely car.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 4788

Thanks John A, Not really sure how it all works but it certainly seems to give a supple ride over rough surfaces.
Running in at the moment so not used my Chrono which i believe stiffens the PASM.
Must read up on how it all works
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are pleased with your motor.

Another fan of air suspension here.

Sports Chrono gives an additional setting to the suspension and engages a different engine and gearbox map. Hence you should feel the difference eventually after the running in and you play hooligan.

Neigh on six years into ownership and I still have not tried Launch Control on my own Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

petew0557 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:26 pm Thanks John A, Not really sure how it all works but it certainly seems to give a supple ride over rough surfaces.
Running in at the moment so not used my Chrono which i believe stiffens the PASM.
Must read up on how it all works
You should have access to all the suspension modes without chrono. If you press the suspension button on the centre console you can cycle through comfort, sport and sports plus. This is separate to the ride height button you also get with air suspension. You should be able to use all whilst running in to my knowledge.
Deleted User 4788

Ok Thanks
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Jon A wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:49 pm
I think this is the PASM more than air creating the ride comfort but I have air and it does a great job of keeping the car flatter in corners, and I like the lowered ride height.
This is a case of "You're right but". PASM does vary the stiffness of the shock absorbers in real time but the "spring rate" of the air springs differs from that of the steel ones. Over the years, one or two forum members have complained of a wallowing sensation with air springs and PASM in comfort mode. On my Gen 2 GTS (where the air suspension is supposed to be 10% stiffer than that of the S), I find that with PASM in comfort the ride is slightly stiffer than that of my SD on steel springs and PASM in sport. Mind you that's a subjective impression not an objective one. The air springs on the Gen 3 GTS are stiffer again.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

On-Track wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:20 am
This is a case of "You're right but". PASM does vary the stiffness of the shock absorbers in real time but the "spring rate" of the air springs differs from that of the steel ones. Over the years, one or two forum members have complained of a wallowing sensation with air springs and PASM in comfort mode. On my Gen 2 GTS (where the air suspension is supposed to be 10% stiffer than that of the S), I find that with PASM in comfort the ride is slightly stiffer than that of my SD on steel springs and PASM in sport. Mind you that's a subjective impression not an objective one. The air springs on the Gen 3 GTS are stiffer again.
Interesting, and makes sense. I have “normal air” on my S and 21” wheels and I find the overall feel is close to perfect. I keep air in low permanently to avoid wheel arch gap and comfort most of the time although sport pasm is more than acceptable.
I suppose having air and pasm just gives more options and I’m all for that 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:20 am
The ride is slightly stiifer in my preferred Sport [one light on setting] on my GTS compared to my SD. GTS on 20" and SD on 19". Both with PASM but neither with Air Suspension.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
vic49er

Post by vic49er »

I've placed my order for the S, and have also speced Mojavi Beige with Gentian Blue. Now you have the car in reality, how does the blue and beige fit together? Also, the 14 way front seats are leather, but the rear seats fabric? Can you see any difference?
Current Macan S Gen 3. Collected 7th July 2023 http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYKXJQ9
BMW Z3M Coupe (S50)
Previous: Macan 2L Gen 2