Parking brake/auto hold

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tom10juve

Post by Tom10juve »

Coming from a 2018 Tiguan where auto hold and auto handbrake just worked without needing to think about it, I’m surprised at how complicated it is on the Macan, sometimes you need to press the handbrake button sometimes you don’t and then there’s the hard brake to activate auto hold….

Doesn’t make sense to me.

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Tom10juve wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:18 pm Coming from a 2018 Tiguan where auto hold and auto handbrake just worked without needing to think about it, I’m surprised at how complicated it is on the Macan, sometimes you need to press the handbrake button sometimes you don’t and then there’s the hard brake to activate auto hold….

Can you elaborate on “sometimes you need to press the handbrake button sometimes you don’t”? I rarely feel the need to touch the handbrake button.

Pressing the brake firmly to activate auto hold is a feature I find useful.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

It took me three weeks to work out that auto hold is best engaged by a quick “prod” of the brake pedal rather that pushing it hard. Now it works first time every time - would only use handbrake button when parking to leave the car.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

This is what I do. I use the auto hold (automatic on a hill, firm press if not). It holds the brake lights on. Wait till a car stops behind you at especially at night use the handbrake (that doesn’t have the brake lights on). Bit of finesse that I like
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Tom10juve wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:18 pm Coming from a 2018 Tiguan where auto hold and auto handbrake just worked without needing to think about it, I’m surprised at how complicated it is on the Macan, sometimes you need to press the handbrake button sometimes you don’t and then there’s the hard brake to activate auto hold….

Coming from a ten year old Audi S4 I found the auto brake on the 22 Macan quite a poor design and even after three months and 5000 miles I still don’t like the way it has to be activated

Jim
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Coming from an Fpace, I didn’t have it at all so I find it convenient. Also had a Troc for a few months where it engaged automatically which was even better.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Tom10juve

Post by Tom10juve »

Makanik wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:31 pm

Can you elaborate on “sometimes you need to press the handbrake button sometimes you don’t”? I rarely feel the need to touch the handbrake button.

If I park the car, the handbrake doesn’t auto engage, well I don’t think it does so you press it….then when you get in and drive again sometimes I can select drive and pull away and sometimes I have to press the handbrake button. It’s not the end of the world but being that Porsche is in the VW group I figured it would have been automatic like the Tiguan, Troc etc.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ yes in my experience the rest of the VAG current range are SO much easier to activate. In our Leon you can choose Auto On for HOLD and then every time you come to a halt it automatically instantly engages. Then when you pull away it auto releases. SIMPLES!

The Macan system is a faff. Jab the footbrake to engage Hold. Can be hit & miss though.

Pull up P to engage the handbrake....but then it does not ALWAYS auto release when you pull away. :oops: So you have to prod the switch to release.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I like the Porsche system where you can opt to engage the brake hold by pressing the brake pedal. It makes manoeuvring easier in particular. In my Defender the auto hold comes on as soon as the car comes to rest and you need to develop an extremely light and brief touch of the accelerator to release it. This can be quite tricky in tight spaces, especially on a slope. Yes, the Porsche system can engage on a slope when you don't want it to, and that can also make manoeuvring on a slope a bit challenging. Again, something you have to get used to once you know when to expect it and how to deal with it. Both designs have their pro and cons but I like the choice with the Porsche approach.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tom10juve wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:20 pm
Makanik wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:31 pm

If I park the car, the handbrake doesn’t auto engage, well I don’t think it does so you press it….then when you get in and drive again sometimes I can select drive and pull away and sometimes I have to press the handbrake button. It’s not the end of the world but being that Porsche is in the VW group I figured it would have been automatic like the Tiguan, Troc etc.
There is a reason why handbrakes should not auto engage. What happens in freezing if car left for any time,
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8