PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4

Lanmate

Post by Lanmate »

Compare the Q8 to the other two cars. For the first and third, the passenger side wheels were ~1 foot from the centerline of the road on the same side of the cyclist. For the Q8, the drivers side wheels were ~1 foot from the centerline on the other side of the road, making it at least a couple of feet closer to the cyclist. It's noticeable in the video.

I'm with the cyclist on this one, the Q8 was too close.

Ignore the massive fine, that's a consequence of the driver choosing not to accept responsibility and going to court despite opportunity to resolve it sooner and cheaper.
Gen3 GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPRAXAE8

Ordered 11th Aug 2021, Arrived OPC 7th Oct 2022, Collected 9th Dec 2022
pmg

Post by pmg »

There are now some crazy pro cyclist schemes around. I came across in the west country an arrangement for a single file stetch which encouraged cyclists to jump to the front of the lights and queue which then means as they travel at 15 mph they hold up the cars who then when the roadworks are passed have to wait for an opportunity to get past the cyclists.

Why they could not set up an arrangement where cars go first, cyclists held until cars gone and then they go through before the lane switches to the other direction. I suppose far to sensible but by ultimately reducing the amount of overtaking necessary it would be safer to cyclists.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

pmg wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:27 pm There are now some crazy pro cyclist schemes around. I came across in the west country an arrangement for a single file stetch which encouraged cyclists to jump to the front of the lights and queue which then means as they travel at 15 mph they hold up the cars who then when the roadworks are passed have to wait for an opportunity to get past the cyclists.

Why they could not set up an arrangement where cars go first, cyclists held until cars gone and then they go through before the lane switches to the other direction. I suppose far to sensible but by ultimately reducing the amount of overtaking necessary it would be safer to cyclists.
The problem with that one is, if the cyclist waits and lets all the cars go through, then the lights will more than likely go to red. What does he do then, wait untill all the vehicles have gone through on the next green light, and wait again, or go through at the front of the queue.
When I'm out on my cycle, (yesterday and today, may I add. Good weather), if there's room in the roadworks, I will go into the coned off area, to allow the vehicles to pass. But if going through at my turn, agitates the car drivers, that is thier problem. At most it would be less than a minute of being behind the cyclist, that's not a lot out of a lifetime.
I also saw a youtube, of a very close pass by a van, same circumstances as post, and the van passenger gave the cyclist a rude jesture.
Reported to Police, who said that there was not enough cameras on the cycle, to capture it adequetly. Hence no action taken. Which I think is a poor decision.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

You guys are going to love this.

preston.jpg

No doubt also coming to the roads where you live.

In living in this City for 30 years all the people you see in the mock up are about the total number of walkers that I have seen in this area in those 30 years.

The most road users are Buses, most cars use a nearby link road and bridge over the river.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I am keen MTB rider, enjoying New Forest rides on weekly basis. I used to ride on a road but after I got pushed off the road twice, by some unconsidered driver, I went off road and I love it.
Now if I wipe-out it’s because my own reckless riding 😎
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
wilko

Post by wilko »

He deserved it. One for a dangerously close pass and two for not accepting he’d done wrong and taking the fixed penalty and course.
I cycle on the road 7-10 hours each week, and 90% of driver wait until the far side of the road is clear and do a safe overtake. 10% get far too close and hardly span the centre line with their outside wheels if at all.
If they hit a cyclist the cyclist will have life changing injuries, or possibly no life.
I give pedestrians (particularly dog walker a very wide berth, even if they are on a pavement, as most are in their own worlds (phones) and highly unpredictable. The cyclist who don’t obviously don’t believe in their own self preservation, as if they hit a pedestrian it’s more than likely they will come off worse, as the pedestrian will get a painful clip, with the cyclist then crashing into a heavy stationary object.
It amazes me how many car drivers overtake me in 30limits when I’m travelling at >20mph, just to see me sail past them 30 yards later. They don’t seem to get that across any city the bike will get there quicker so overtaking is pointless.
Yesterday I was overtaken whilst I was signalling to turn left by a mini that used only the side of the road I was on. Came within a foot of me. Saved them less than a second.
I think the awareness course should involve them riding a bike on a busy city street.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

wilko wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:20 pm He deserved it. One for a dangerously close pass and two for not accepting he’d done wrong and taking the fixed penalty and course.
I cycle on the road 7-10 hours each week, and 90% of driver wait until the far side of the road is clear and do a safe overtake. 10% get far too close and hardly span the centre line with their outside wheels if at all.
If they hit a cyclist the cyclist will have life changing injuries, or possibly no life.
I give pedestrians (particularly dog walker a very wide berth, even if they are on a pavement, as most are in their own worlds (phones) and highly unpredictable. The cyclist who don’t obviously don’t believe in their own self preservation, as if they hit a pedestrian it’s more than likely they will come off worse, as the pedestrian will get a painful clip, with the cyclist then crashing into a heavy stationary object.
It amazes me how many car drivers overtake me in 30limits when I’m travelling at >20mph, just to see me sail past them 30 yards later. They don’t seem to get that across any city the bike will get there quicker so overtaking is pointless.
Yesterday I was overtaken whilst I was signalling to turn left by a mini that used only the side of the road I was on. Came within a foot of me. Saved them less than a second.
I think the awareness course should involve them riding a bike on a busy city street.
I used to cycle to work and one day some idiot came out of a works entrance right in front of me and stopped dead, I managed to put a very large dent and a five foot long scratch down the side of his car as I bounced off it.

Luckily no damage to me or my bike but he was a bit pissed off with the damage.

Totally agree that if drivers rode bikes more often that they would become safer drivers.

All we would have to do then is educate the bike riders to give walkers and especially walkers with dogs a very wide birth, sadly that does not happen with 90% of the frontal lobotomised cyclists in my neck of the woods.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:26 pm You guys are going to love this.

preston.jpg

No doubt also coming to the roads where you live.

In living in this City for 30 years all the people you see in the mock up are about the total number of walkers that I have seen in this area in those 30 years.

The most road users are Buses, most cars use a nearby link road and bridge over the river.
What a farsical situation. Even before the new laws re the pecking order of road users, came into force, I was always vocal in a negative way about the Town and City Planners, and the ideas that they come up with. I can see what the logic is, but how many Town centres have ghost areas, where virtually no one goes, because of thier strategy. They show thier models, which look serene with peolple walking avbout, ideal situations. But in reality, normal people don't venture, due to the depraved, drug filled nutters, who frequent the area. It's those idealists that destroy the Centres.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Why would any cyclist fit a rear-facing GoPro camera unless it was for the express intention of getting evidence to complain about a driver? These people are just eager to cause as much difficulty as possible for drivers, yet these cyclists rarely obey traffic rules.

The driver in this case was probably about 4ft away from the bike. Despite what the new Highway Code says, I reckon that's fairly safe. If the cyclist were in a town, it's unlikely that buses would give a 5ft clearance when overtaking.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)