Transfer box already?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dunders71

Post by Dunders71 »

Mine seems to be doing the same from time to time, and always in comfort. Just put it down to me not being used to the car but my wife's just been out and said it did it parking at Tesco and pulling away from a very tight junction. Did you ever get this looked at or has it stopped doing it?

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

The Gen 3 has a completely different engine to those that had TFB issues. I doubt very much that is the issue.
Macan S MY 2023
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Dunders71 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:32 pm Mine seems to be doing the same from time to time, and always in comfort. Just put it down to me not being used to the car but my wife's just been out and said it did it parking at Tesco and pulling away from a very tight junction. Did you ever get this looked at or has it stopped doing it?
I actually got it to do it in Sport+, so it’s clearly not the auto start/stop thats the issue. I had my son in the car with me and he thought we’d hit something.

I’ve tried the reversing up hill thing and it seems to be fine. It’s certainly still doing it but I’ve not had it looked at because its so random. I’ve even had it happen then keep the steering the same, reversed out and pulled back in again and its fine the second time.

Not sure if Macans have any kind of pseudo LSD that may be causing the issue.

Its about 1 time in 6 or 7 when I am parking. If someone is in the car with you its quite embarrassing because it’s extremely noticeable and not at all something you want a £67k car to be doing.
Deleted User 4752

Skyway wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:49 pm The Gen 3 has a completely different engine to those that had TFB issues. I doubt very much that is the issue.
I believe it also has a redesigned TFB. Doesn’t mean the new design doesn’t have a different problem though. Its very irritating when it happens. Makes you really leery about parking because you never know when its going to happen
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

don't forget the gearbox learns from your style of driving, some styles of driving might confuse the box.

I think it's essential for all new macan drivers to attend Porsche driving centre at Silverstone as you learn so much about the car and brand, not to be missed.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

would even go further and suggest to make the visit before you order/ final spec, as all type of options can be tried out and understood before parting with hard earned cash.
An oppertunity you don't get at your local dealer
Deleted User 4752

gasgas1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:33 pm would even go further and suggest to make the visit before you order/ final spec, as all type of options can be tried out and understood before parting with hard earned cash.
An oppertunity you don't get at your local dealer
Been there, done that, and been driving the Gen 3 macan S for nearly 9 months. Your comment about the gearbox learning is correct, or, at least, is the same as the instructor at the PEC said. However, in this circumstance i’m not sure it applies. This is driving into a parking space in 1st gear at about 3-5 mph. The car slows, a bit like its losing power, and then lurches forward violently, like you’ve pressed the brake pedal a bit then stamped on the accelerator. Its quite alarming.

I had a similar thing happen once on the Aston. It turned out to be a duff brake sensor, hence the question about of Porsche is brake by wire ( which I suspect it is ). The sensor keep getting confused about when I was and wasn’t pressing the pedal. Getting it changed actually made a massive difference to how the car drove. Not saying its the same thing but it feels similar.
Dunders71

Post by Dunders71 »

THHGTTG wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:58 pm
Dunders71 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:32 pm Mine seems to be doing the same from time to time, and always in comfort. Just put it down to me not being used to the car but my wife's just been out and said it did it parking at Tesco and pulling away from a very tight junction. Did you ever get this looked at or has it stopped doing it?
I actually got it to do it in Sport+, so it’s clearly not the auto start/stop thats the issue. I had my son in the car with me and he thought we’d hit something.

I’ve tried the reversing up hill thing and it seems to be fine. It’s certainly still doing it but I’ve not had it looked at because its so random. I’ve even had it happen then keep the steering the same, reversed out and pulled back in again and its fine the second time.

Its about 1 time in 6 or 7 when I am parking. If someone is in the car with you its quite embarrassing because it’s extremely noticeable and not at all something you want a £67k car to be doing.
Mine's not as bad as that. Does a bit of juddering on full lock and isn't at all smooth but doesn't lurch or make much noise really. Similar to yours it's not every time and it also did it not in comfort last night (sport in my case). I'll keep an eye on it and I'll mention it if I ever get the car in to fix the Live Traffic issue.......
Deleted User 4752

Dunders71 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:56 am
THHGTTG wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:58 pm

Mine's not as bad as that. Does a bit of juddering on full lock and isn't at all smooth but doesn't lurch or make much noise really. Similar to yours it's not every time and it also did it not in comfort last night (sport in my case). I'll keep an eye on it and I'll mention it if I ever get the car in to fix the Live Traffic issue.......
If you do, please come back and update the thread ( or DM me ) with the result. Thanks.
vorticalspace

Post by vorticalspace »

Hi
If you have ACC, could it be somehow linked to the PAC system?
Maybe tape over the radar to test?
If it were me, i'd be over at the OPC pronto :)
Porsche Macan S 2018 - Rhodium Silver :D