Transfer box already?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

I was parking in a spot at Tesco this morning and turned full lock, moving forward in comfort mode, and the car seemed to slow followed by a loud thump/bang under the car and it then lurched forward and I had to stamp on the brake to avoid hitting the bollard. I felt it through the steering too. It was almost as if someone had driven into the back of the car.

I tried to get it to do it again but it wouldn’t.

My car has always felt a little less “sprightly”, especially in comfort mode, compared with the 3 or 4 others S’s I’ve driven. Could the dreaded transfer box be the culprit at less than 4000 miles?

Trouble is its another one of those things I’d be unable to replicate at the OPC.

Any suggestions?

PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

THHGTTG wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:13 am I was parking in a spot at Tesco this morning and turned full lock, moving forward in comfort mode, and the car seemed to slow followed by a loud thump/bang under the car and it then lurched forward and I had to stamp on the brake to avoid hitting the bollard. I felt it through the steering too. It was almost as if someone had driven into the back of the car.

My car has always felt a little less “sprightly”, especially in comfort mode, compared with the 3 or 4 others S’s I’ve driven. Could the dreaded transfer box be the culprit at less than 4000 miles?

Trouble is its another one of those things I’d be unable to replicate at the OPC.

Any suggestions?
Hey man, it's virtually a brand new car!! Surely not 🤔
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
Deleted User 4752

PorscheMack wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:17 am
THHGTTG wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:13 am I was parking in a spot at Tesco this morning and turned full lock, moving forward in comfort mode, and the car seemed to slow followed by a loud thump/bang under the car and it then lurched forward and I had to stamp on the brake to avoid hitting the bollard. I felt it through the steering too. It was almost as if someone had driven into the back of the car.

Any suggestions?
I certainly hope not. But if not, then what would cause such issues? Maybe its just the gearbox being a bit dopey ?
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:17 am

Any suggestions?

It wouldn't be first Macan ever to have a TFB issue with low miles.

You need to dot he usual TFB tests, full lock, reversing up a slope etc etc etc

fingers crossed its just a glitch
Deleted User 4752

I tried full lock reverse on a flat surface and it seemed ok. Finding an uphill to reverse around is going to be a bit more tricky
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

I thought I read that they'd changed the design so the transfer box issue only affected Mark 1 and maybe Mark2? So Mark 3s were free of the issue?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Might it have been the hold function releasing a bit jerkily? Certainly that can happen on slopes, less so on level ground, but not impossible.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4752

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:32 pm Might it have been the hold function releasing a bit jerkily? Certainly that can happen on slopes, less so on level ground, but not impossible.
That’s a good point. I don’t think it was in Hold mode but as it was in comfort its possible it turned the engine off and and back on again and that caused the gearbox to have a bit of a moment.

I’ll drive it in sport rather than comfort for a bit and see if the issue re-occurs. I’ve had it do slightly odd things before, but nothing as extreme as this. I have had other cars with automated manual gear boxes and they can get confused occasionally at slow speeds
gianfrynco

Post by gianfrynco »

It wouldn't be first Macan ever to have a TFB issue with low miles.

You need to dot he usual TFB tests, full lock, reversing up a slope etc etc etc

fingers crossed its just a glitch
[/quote]

Salve, ho notato anche io che quando faccio una manovra in retromarcia su una pendenza elevata, che il cambio ha come un sussulto (salto).
Secondo voi è normale?
Grazie

Macan Base 2021 km 9000
Deleted User 4752

Did it again earlier in the week. Comfort mode, turning full lock into a parking space ( forward ), feels like the brakes are binding then a loud thump and it lurches forward.

Does the Macan have FBW brakes? It really feels like a brake is binding then instantly releasing. So far only noticed it in comfort mode.