New to Porsche - GTS on order

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Skyway wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:59 pm Perhaps I shouldn’t say, but getting into a performance car with no driving experience is a very bad idea.
Depends

I’ve always had fast cars (without driver aids in those days!) and I’m not dead and thankfully the only issues I had were relatively low speed

When I passed my test my dad said I know you are going to drive fast so now I’m going to tell you how to do it properly!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Ps welcome OP and you have to give us a clue as to what your insurance quotes have been so far!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Fellow Londoner here.

I passed my test outside of London when I was 17 and sold my car when I moved to London when I was 26.

I didn't have a car for 3 years I think, then I bought an Audi S3.

Insurance - in a nice, low crime area of London - is £900. I've put in Macan GTS and they come out about £600-700.

The roads in London are crazy. I've seen more shit in the 2 years I've had my S3 in London than I have in my entire driving career outside of London.

I have a GTS on order also, and use my car exclusively to leave London only - I don't drive about inside London as it's just not worth it.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
smithers-jones

Post by smithers-jones »

Tracky wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:01 pm
Skyway wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:59 pm Perhaps I shouldn’t say, but getting into a performance car with no driving experience is a very bad idea.
Depends
I'd suggest some experienced drivers shouldn't be let loose in performance cars, too.... :roll:

I'm all for drivers taking some advanced tutoring: personally, I think it should be mandatory prior to purchase of something 'performance'. I've done a couple of driving days with accredited advanced drivers and it changed my mindset as a driver. The PEC day is also a great way to learn how to handle the performance and abilities of these quick cars with oodles of power and in-built safety to match.
Best, Ade

Incoming:
Papaya GTS build PPTLLZB0
Aurora Blue Cupra Born V3 77kW

Current:
BMW E92 330D Le Mans Blue

Previously loved:
2015 Sapphire Blue Macan SD
2014 Sapphire Blue 981S Cayman
2016 Racing Yellow 981GTS Cayman
Variety of ALPINA
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:42 am Hello all,

It’s my first post after finding this site last Summer and finding it invaluable after discovering the Porsche Macan, pondering over buying one, watching multiple videos and finally braving the decision to place an order in January. So a big thank you for all your helpful posts.

I’ll share the spec soon, but there a few amendments to be made and those will be driven by the final choice in colour.

Probably where I am most unsure is around the various insurance options and I’ll ask about this again. The decision to buy a car is driven by a personal matter and wanting something reliable, safe and practical. I have not needed one to now (live in London), so you can guess it’s my first car too. I never sat my driving test years ago, so am sorting that out now.

I know many will think I’m crazy getting a Macan as a first car etc., but I’ve really thought it through and even the Porsche salesman suggested I go with a base model etc., less powerful engine etc., but given spec’ing a Base or S meant I was in the price area of a GTS, and GTS holding its own value, I decided on the GTS.

I had originally started looking at BMW/Audi/Merc, and going through the configurations, I was adding in options with multiple layers and not really understanding what I was building. The price point felt high and out of curiosity I went onto Porsche, found the Macan and I was ‘sold’ and also very excited, it’s a beautiful car.

I know people say the configurator on Porsche is confusing, but actually, at least you can work out what each part is - I felt more in control compared to the other sites last Summer. Along with the help of this forum and videos, it’s being nice putting it together.

I did also like the Panamera, but it is over budget (technically so is the Macan), and I’m not comfortable being too low down in traffic etc..

Anyway, it will great to start interacting and participating on the forum-and looking forward to the eventual experience day (I’ve had the invite, obviously can’t go yet) and the arrival of the car :)
Well if you're "sold" on a Macan why not start at the top, I guess. Apart from the extra BHP, PSCB's and other niceties (which you pay for) the Standard lower ride height option transforms the stationary stance of this model over lesser models IMO.
That's assuming you're the sort of person who always takes one last look over your shoulder after you've parked up 😊 it's a pity you can't even take a test drive yet. Incidentally, How long are you planning on keeping it for?
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi and welcome.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan
froggyr32

Post by froggyr32 »

You're only here once, enjoy your GTS.
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I think the OP is very sensible and obviously done his homework. Yes the Macan is a very unusual choice for “first car” but he knows how to drive already, just needs a licence and some experience on modern roads. Although the Macan GTS on paper is a performance car, my 85 year old mother could drive it without any concern. You need to poke a Macan to make it growl. My main word of caution is that it’s so refined and you are so cocooned you need to be very aware of the speed your doing or it’s easy to get into trouble!! Good idea with an interim car, many insurance policies will give you one years NCB after only 9 months. Enjoy it when it comes!
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Hello everyone!! I cannot believe it is three months since I last posted, I’m not normally flaky - but a lot has happened since - but I was continuing to read the forum (helpfully) and thinking I should respond. But as I say a lot happened and I think my time is becoming mine again :)

I thank everyone for their comments and genuinely I’m not ‘not’ listening, I think I spent such a length of time looking at things and totally then falling for the Macan, nothing else could compare.

I’ll pick up insurance on another thread - but it’s very high, I think I’d get much criticism, but, I’ve not had to pay insurance ever - it is the hit I’ll have to take because of the car and my stupidity in not sitting my test many years ago.

On a positive note (which was actually a real shocker when I got the email), my build has to be finalised in October - with an estimated Jan delivery. Much earlier than anticipated (6 months earlier), so getting a run around in the mean time, is out the window!! I still haven’t managed to bring my test forward either! But it will be okay.

I eventually told my instructor about the car, and he took the view ‘why not’, it happens to be his dream car, so he’s excited to be able to take it out for a spin :) He basically isn’t thinking I won’t be able to drive it, and thanks to the forum, I learnt about the lead time for Silverstone - so I’ve booked the experience day for December and cannot wait. I may book a second one, just to be fully happy :)

The fun begins in other threads reinsurance, spec and other bits :)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

You’ll need a driving licence before silverstone

You may want to check if there are conditions as to how long you have held that licence as I think there maybe restrictions
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S