New to Porsche - GTS on order

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Hello all,

It’s my first post after finding this site last Summer and finding it invaluable after discovering the Porsche Macan, pondering over buying one, watching multiple videos and finally braving the decision to place an order in January. So a big thank you for all your helpful posts.

I’ll share the spec soon, but there a few amendments to be made and those will be driven by the final choice in colour.

Probably where I am most unsure is around the various insurance options and I’ll ask about this again. The decision to buy a car is driven by a personal matter and wanting something reliable, safe and practical. I have not needed one to now (live in London), so you can guess it’s my first car too. I never sat my driving test years ago, so am sorting that out now.

I know many will think I’m crazy getting a Macan as a first car etc., but I’ve really thought it through and even the Porsche salesman suggested I go with a base model etc., less powerful engine etc., but given spec’ing a Base or S meant I was in the price area of a GTS, and GTS holding its own value, I decided on the GTS.

I had originally started looking at BMW/Audi/Merc, and going through the configurations, I was adding in options with multiple layers and not really understanding what I was building. The price point felt high and out of curiosity I went onto Porsche, found the Macan and I was ‘sold’ and also very excited, it’s a beautiful car.

I know people say the configurator on Porsche is confusing, but actually, at least you can work out what each part is - I felt more in control compared to the other sites last Summer. Along with the help of this forum and videos, it’s being nice putting it together.

I did also like the Panamera, but it is over budget (technically so is the Macan), and I’m not comfortable being too low down in traffic etc..

Anyway, it will great to start interacting and participating on the forum-and looking forward to the eventual experience day (I’ve had the invite, obviously can’t go yet) and the arrival of the car :)

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know how old you are but you're right to be unsure about the insurance. If you have yet to pass your test, you might find that no-one will insure you to drive a Macan GTS with a London address. I would strongly recommend you sort insurance before you reach lockdown.

You also need to give some thought (if you haven't already) to what use you intend to put the car. The GTS is a car for the open road (or the closest you can get to one in this country) not driving around London.

All choices are yours to make, feel free to ignore my advice.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Crazy, most certainly.

No Insurance history at all, not even a passed driving test, so expect an eye watering premium on top of the cost of buying the Macan.

It is five years since I last drove in London and you most certainly have to have your wits about you driving there, everyone drives like they are Lewis Hamilton on a Auto Destruction Derby track.

You clearly have a dream, but I would be remiss purely on safety grounds alone if I did not advise you that you will not have the on the road skill and awareness to drive a 440 bhp car safely in London traffic.

By the time you get your GTS more than likely there will be the all new Electric Macan which imo would be a much better choice once you have gained experience driving a run of the mill motor for a couple of years.

So do park the idea of buying a Macan for now, which in any case the Macan started life ten years ago based on an old Audi Q5 platform and has only had minor changes in the years since the design process started.

Buy a second hand small SUV and learn how to drive, passing a series of tests is just that, you learn how to pass each test, you do not learn how to drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

There is really no point in getting any car If you can't get insurance (or affordable insurance - you have to decide how much you are willing to pay).

An Insurance broker should be able to help so speak with them first before buying anything. There are plenty of decent cars out there which will be easier to insure.

To get affordable insurance my last car was a 1.4 Vauxhall Astra (and managed to get the Macan after that :D :D )

Good luck :D :D
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

From what I understand you will get the car well before you can get a driving test appointment :D
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
as7920

Post by as7920 »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:08 pm From what I understand you will get the car well before you can get a driving test appointment :D
And the driving test may cost more than the GTS!
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

I was in Kensington last Thu/Fri and I have never seen so many Macans! Genuinely surprised there were so many. Every street we walked down had at least 4 or 5 parked in the street ( a lot if 911’s too ) but then it was Kensington I suppose
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Hi everyone, I typed a response but it disappeared :( So I'll start again and thank you. Absolutely happy to listen to any advice and the points raised are valid and have been taken into account, and they won't be without challenge.

Firstly, I looked at the EV option but because of range, this will not be suitable for me, and beyond my comfort zone based on the range of the cars, the current charging infrastructure and 'lack of' charging capability outside my home (I've looked at getting installed and it is not worth it for various reasons e.g. wanting to move in the short term etc.). Without wanting to be evasive, but not wanting to share complete details on a public forum, there is a personal need for a car that can do long distances, since Covid and changes within airlines/flight routes, I need the car to travel at short notice (700/800 miles one way).

Regarding 'my' driving :) Luckily I learnt how to drive 20+ years ago in a manual, but never pursued a licence because of moving to London. So I drove about 3 or 4 years I think, but it won't count towards my 'official' experience. It has meant that starting my driving lessons here have been a doddle in an automatic, I am just brushing up - but like everyone is saying, getting a test booked is another story :) The instructor was pleasantly surprised, as was I, when he first took me out - guess its like riding a bike.

Insurance, I will definitely have to take the hit. I have been looking into getting a second hand car in the interim before the Macan does arrive. Although my OPC advised against getting a second hand Macan because the prices are through the roof at the moment. My plan is not to remain in London, and the car will give me that flexibility to move. In the meantime, there are quite a few Porsche's on my road and adjacent roads, so the insurers are likely to have a view based on my location. Hopefully my Macan will be the least interesting of the lot. I will have my licence before the Macan comes for sure - otherwise, I will see if my slot can be moved, its surely fine because the Macan is not due until May 2023.

The initial insurance quotes (via online calculators) varied immensely, so I am thinking about using a broker first. I am a bit risk adverse when it comes to insurances etc., and therefore do not want to do something stupid like buy an insurance which is likely to useless because of some reason I do not understand (having no motor insurance experience). I'll start the proper research soon, so I can start to gain an understanding and then maybe ask a few questions, if that is okay?
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Admiral were the first to offer insurance on the 22MY macan ( because the engines and BHP changed from 21MY ) and also seem to offer some of the most competitive rates.

First thing I’d do is put your details through Compare the Meerkat.com and other comparison sights. Then try the likes of Direct Line ( who I am with ) as they aren’t on any comparison sites.

For what its worth I added my 22 year old son to my Macan, and fully comp it was about £400. He has 4 years no claims but this is as a named driver, and we live out in the sticks.
Last edited by Deleted User 4752 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Perhaps I shouldn’t say, but getting into a performance car with no driving experience is a very bad idea.
Macan S MY 2023