Will ICE Macans depreciate more

All your ordering information here!
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

With the last ICE Macans likely to be around 2024, what are members opinions on residual values when that happens. Have just (finally) received an allocation slot of 2nd September for my S but could I find its value drops off a cliff when its 18 months old?

I'm both excited but also twitchy and need to lock in within the next few weeks apparently.

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

My local Merc dealer suggested that they were expecting ICE vehicles to be in very high demand once they can no longer be sold here. I’d imagine a nice sounding V6 is going to be in demand. The wine of a washing machine motor is never going to appeal to many so I’d suspect they’re right as demand begins to outway supply. Nearly all electric cars are being sold to company car drivers at the moment too ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

I don’t think anyone really knows. I suspect there will be a market for ICE track cars, until noise legislation kills them off. Personally I think when more EV’s are sold than ICE cars you’ll struggle to sell an ICE car, but I also think that’s probably 10+ years away. I know its an incredibly unpopular view on this forum, possibly because most of us are quite a long way past the first flush of youth, but I think ICE has had its day in the sun. We’ve all heard the arguments on why EV’s aren’t the best solution but frankly they’re totally irrelevant, ICE is on its way out and the petrol heads amongst us, of which I am one, are just going to have to accept that.

Ultimately legislation will make owning an ICE car impossible in all but a tiny handful of use cases.

Will that make your car value fall off a cliff edge? Ultimately yes, but not for quite a long time. Don’t forget the US still hasn’t embraced EV’s ( outside of California) so there will always be an ICE market, but not in Europe IMHO.

Now, let the hate flood in.
pmg

Post by pmg »

EV will dominate the local use market for those that can charge at home. Their use for who cannot charge at home and for longer trips will depend how well the public charging network develops and spreads away from the major conurbations. The pace of that is unknown and will affect the market for used ICE's post 2030. Eventually the support network for ICE's will become sparse and that will impact their value but that could be many years off.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

There are plenty of 20+ year old ICE cars on the road. To be frank most of the private purchasing population cannot afford new cars, let alone EVs. EVs will also begin to attract their fair share of taxation not to mention their need for £17000 battery replacements. Current EV production is also very unfriendly to the environment, not to mention the disposable of all those spent batteries.

Much is still unknown and I suspect EVgate will appear at some point ;)
Macan S MY 2023
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Used car sales are 5 times the new car sales so it will take a few years before EVs are in the majority. There are 30m registered vehicles. Even if there were 2m a year EVs it would take 7 years to make the ratio 50:50. Expect ICE to be around in large numbers until 2040.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Deleted User 3546

Post by Deleted User 3546 »

I’ve got an EV through a work salary sacrifice scheme. Tax is already creeping up!

We will stick with the plan to order a Macan T as I don’t fancy an EV version and if pricing is in line with the Audi E-Tron it will be over budget anyway
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

This is a really interesting debate and one none of us know the answer to yet. Whilst our hearts all say ICE will be around for ages that is not what manufactures and regulators are driving. As for the price of the last Macans I feel the value will either sky rocket due to nostalgia or nose dive like what we’ve seen for many diesel cars. It will be interesting to find out.

EVs will become mainstream there is no other direction, and as they do you can guarantee oil companies will turn petrol stations into charging stations and if they don’t a new provider will enter the market and do it. If there is enough money to be sold selling charging the supply will be there.
Deleted User 4752

BanZ wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:55 pm This is a really interesting debate and one none of us know the answer to yet. Whilst our hearts all say ICE will be around for ages that is not what manufactures and regulators are driving. As for the price of the last Macans I feel the value will either sky rocket due to nostalgia or nose dive like what we’ve seen for many diesel cars. It will be interesting to find out.

EVs will become mainstream there is no other direction, and as they do you can guarantee oil companies will turn petrol stations into charging stations and if they don’t a new provider will enter the market and do it. If there is enough money to be sold selling charging the supply will be there.
Nicely put
Deleted User 4752

Skyway wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:58 pm There are plenty of 20+ year old ICE cars on the road. To be frank most of the private purchasing population cannot afford new cars, let alone EVs. EVs will also begin to attract their fair share of taxation not to mention their need for £17000 battery replacements. Current EV production is also very unfriendly to the environment, not to mention the disposable of all those spent batteries.

Much is still unknown and I suspect EVgate will appear at some point ;)
There were also many, many arguments against unleaded petrol. Many people, including our govt, also told us Diesel was the way forward when anyone with any kind of sense could see how terrible they were for the environment, and in my opinion, as a means of propulsion in general. Very few people these days would buy a diesel. Leaded petrol is pretty much unobtainable. ICE 100% will go the same way. I was in London yesterday and probably 20% of the cars I saw were EV’s. 5 years ago it would have been less than 1%. In 10 years time I think 90%+ of new car sales will be EV’s and ICE cars will be banned from pretty much all city centres and taxed beyond most peoples pockets. Like it or not, argue against the environmental impact or not ( personally I don’t believe they are the environmental panacea they are made out to be ) EV’s are the future and ICE is dead.

I personally thought the Tesla model 3 Performance was a pretty good car, and way faster than any Macan, and no less well built. The Taycan is undoubtedly excellent but VERY expensive. The infrastructure WILL catch up, cars will get more affordable and we will all be driving EV’s in the next 10 years. Those that don’t like it will probably be too old by then to worry about it.