Driver’s mirror retraction issue

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

nsm3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:34 am It happened to my drivers mirror, started to hit the glass/trim when folded. No obvious signs of impact/damage to outer casing or the glass. OPC Solihull had to order a complete new internals for the unit, as the lock stop mechanism had failed. All done under warranty in my case.
Perfect! Many thanks indeed.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

GWL

Post by GWL »

Same happened to mine after it was whacked by a speeding white van driver in a narrow lane. The impact broke the indicator repeater strip and the mirror would fold all the way in until it touched the window trim. As mentioned, there is a "stop mechanism" (it may just be a plastic pin) in the mirror and this had also been broken by the impact. After replacing the broken parts all was OK again.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GWL wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:51 am Same happened to mine after it was whacked by a speeding white van driver in a narrow lane. The impact broke the indicator repeater strip and the mirror would fold all the way in until it touched the window trim. As mentioned, there is a "stop mechanism" (it may just be a plastic pin) in the mirror and this had also been broken by the impact. After replacing the broken parts all was OK again.
Thanks. That tells me that it requires a bash from a van to affect the mechanism. And that it also results in collateral damage. My OPC can find no evidence of contact but are insistent that its been caused by an impact. Notwithstanding that when parked the mirrors are always retracted. Quite frankly, it beggars belief!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Dandock wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 am
GWL wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:51 am Same happened to mine after it was whacked by a speeding white van driver in a narrow lane. The impact broke the indicator repeater strip and the mirror would fold all the way in until it touched the window trim. As mentioned, there is a "stop mechanism" (it may just be a plastic pin) in the mirror and this had also been broken by the impact. After replacing the broken parts all was OK again.
Thanks. That tells me that it requires a bash from a van to affect the mechanism. And that it also results in collateral damage. My OPC can find no evidence of contact but are insistent that its been caused by an impact. Notwithstanding that when parked the mirrors are always retracted. Quite frankly, it beggars belief!
Have you tried emailing Porsche GB and explaining the situation? I assume that for a warranty claim you could go to any OPC. May be worth trying a different one.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

THHGTTG wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:20 pm
Dandock wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 am
Have you tried emailing Porsche GB and explaining the situation? I assume that for a warranty claim you could go to any OPC. May be worth trying a different one.
Indeed. I’ve thought of Porsche GB as a last resort. But I’ve spoken to another OPC this morning who seem much more receptive. I’ve sent pics and video and await a response.

But it does seriously p!ss me off when as the owner of a prestige brand I/we get treated the way my OPC has so far done. It’s what one might expect from a mass market provider.

And if I was buying new every year…?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:08 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:51 pm There was a post on here quite some time ago. IIRC it was the same issue. Keep searching Mike!
Thanks Nick. Long time! All good? Mike
Yes all good thanks Mike, although the Macan has gone and now replaced by a Defender V8! Currently running it in on a trip to Austrian Alps. It’s an amazing vehicle, but not a Porsche! I still have my 911 though.

Hope you now have the answer on your mirror issue.

N
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA