Tyre Extinguishers

The place to discuss everything else..
crxvtec

Post by crxvtec »

Hi everyone,

The Tyre Extinguishers are eco-vigilantes formed out of Extinction Rebellion and are going around cities deflating SUV tyres and leaving notes explaining their beliefs about SUVs being bad for Earth.

I believe more of us than care to admit support the environmental cause and despite that we're all fair game when it comes to their "work" so I thought it may be useful to start a thread around strategies for a) recovering from an "attack", b) dealing with a live "attack" and c) preventative measures on the basis that if they can't get to us they may move on.

On a) I believe all Porsches come with 12V compressors on board in the boot. Is that the case? If so that's perhaps the primary recovery method and we'd do well to test them regularly so as not to get caught out. Also carrying spare fuses in case the one powering the compressor blows would be sensible.

On b) I don't really know whether this can be universal advice as direct confrontation could lead to an altercation and potentially much worse, however some of us are unlikely to simply let it happen. Perhaps it's worth discussing some means by which a live attack can be captured on video and reported to the Police or whether there are passive methods to get an offender to re-think their intentions.

On c) I had believed that they'd crouch at the wheel and deflate it themselves whilst present but the instructions on their website are to use a hard, small object (pebble, lentil, etc.) and use the valve cap to press said object into the valve pin, causing it to deflate. The advantage I can see to them is that they can set this up in seconds and then leave/hit the next victim and reduces the risk of being apprehended. There are anti-tamper valve caps on the market, some better than others. Has anyone had any experience with these? I believe it's a problem if they seize onto the valve.

Thoughts?
Macan S: Papaya with a lot of toys
Cayman R: Peridot with all the toys
Boxster S: SOLD in 2013

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

There was extensive discussion a couple of months ago
viewtopic.php?t=11924
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Tyrrell

Post by Tyrrell »

I would tell them that I’m very disappointed in their actions, before smashing there faces in with a large baseball bat 🍺
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYDQZL5
718 Spyder PTS arriving March 2023.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Tyrrell wrote: ↑Sat May 21, 2022 7:01 am I would tell them that I’m very disappointed in their actions, before smashing there faces in with a ;) large baseball bat 🍺
Great stuff as long as the wood of the large baseball bat comes from a sustainable forest then that will be ok and acceptable to the now prone deflator.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Vandalism should not be allowed. These selfish idiots should be arrested and sent to China / Saudi for re education.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

ScotMac wrote: ↑Sat May 21, 2022 9:59 am Vandalism should not be allowed. These selfish idiots should be arrested and sent to China / Saudi for re education.

Not Rwanda?! 😜
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Tyre compressors are not and as far as I am aware never been included as standard.

If a spare wheel has been included as an Option that includes a compressor as the spare is a slim collapsable tyre.

No spare wheel, then all they supplied was a can of sealant / inflator.

Even today no means of inflating a tyre is standard, the inflator kit or spare are Options.

Porsche rely on Porsche Assist to get an owner moving in the event of having an immobile car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Wing Commander wrote: ↑Sat May 21, 2022 10:42 am
ScotMac wrote: ↑Sat May 21, 2022 9:59 am Vandalism should not be allowed. These selfish idiots should be arrested and sent to China / Saudi for re education.

Not Rwanda?! 😜
Not sure what the laws are like in Rwanda :lol: :lol:
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col Lamb wrote: ↑Sat May 21, 2022 10:56 am Tyre compressors are not and as far as I am aware never been included as standard.

If a spare wheel has been included as an Option that includes a compressor as the spare is a slim collapsable tyre.

No spare wheel, then all they supplied was a can of sealant / inflator.

Even today no means of inflating a tyre is standard, the inflator kit or spare are Options.

Porsche rely on Porsche Assist to get an owner moving in the event of having an immobile car.

Both of my Macans came with a compressor as standard.

I then purchased via Amazon...

Screenshot 2022-05-21 115014.png

I will avoid using this sealant, unless in a fully deflated punctured tyre emergency, as it makes a mess of the inside of the tyre, valve & wheel well. Most tyre changers will refuse to repair a puncture after its use too.

If more than one tyre has been let down then I would definitely call Porsche Assist, or if you do not have that cover - a mobile tyre fitter. Why? because the car supplied one will take an age just to fully inflate one tyre.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

And if by chance, the tyre bead has come away from the rim, highly unlikely but possible. A car tyre inflator will never inflate the tyre. Then plan b or c, would be needed.
If I caught someone playing with my wheel, thoughts of peeing on them would go through my mind.😩