Ceramic coating or PPF or both?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
BarrieMc

Post by BarrieMc »

Question for you guy's who have had this done on your cars.
When I get my GTS I want to protect the paintwork and was thinking
G-Technic + XO (Hydrophobic water repellent) – Ceramic Coating including care package - £1099

So is this good enough or do I need to spec PPF on the front of the car as well or instead of?

Thanks in advance
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNNTBH34
2018 A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Current
2017 A5 2.0 TDI Quattro (interim whilst waiting for above)
2011 A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
2006 A4 3.0 TDI Quattro
2004 A3 3.2 Quattro
1999 A3 1.8 T Sport
Was an Audi man as you can see :lol:

MansfieldCat

Post by MansfieldCat »

I’ve had a front end PPF as this is the best way to prevent stone chips, then followed by Titan ceramics all over to protect from everything else.
The ceramics alone are worth the money in the time it saves when cleaning the car as it takes no more than a quick wash to be back to its best.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

MansfieldCat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:39 am I’ve had a front end PPF as this is the best way to prevent stone chips, then followed by Titan ceramics all over to protect from everything else.
The ceramics alone are worth the money in the time it saves when cleaning the car as it takes no more than a quick wash to be back to its best.

What was the cost & who did it? Mine is due in July and looking at PPF, can’t believe the quotes of circa £5k for covering the car in cling film 🤣
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Totally depends upon how long you intend to keep the car and how OCD you are!

I had mine Gtec’ed 5 1/2 years ago, did not bother with any film, car has a few chips and light scratches but I am not OCD.

Having a ceramic costing is no guarantee that it will not get white spot deposits but it will sort of make it pretty easy to clean as long as you use the right techniques.

A quick wash, and rinse with softened and de-mineralised water followed by a blow dry will keep it looking good but every few washes a thorough clean, rinse, dry and application of Quick Detailer will help keep its lustre.

The ultimate question, would I have a ceramic coating again…… No.

I would go back to a normal wash and use of a top quality wax two or three times a year.

Most of all the aesthetics of the chosen wheels would come way behind ease of them being cleaned, spyders are a sod to clean, each wheel now takes about 15 minutes and I end up soaked despite them being included in the treatment.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

r1flyguy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:51 pm
MansfieldCat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:39 am I’ve had a front end PPF as this is the best way to prevent stone chips, then followed by Titan ceramics all over to protect from everything else.

What was the cost & who did it? Mine is due in July and looking at PPF, can’t believe the quotes of circa £5k for covering the car in cling film 🤣
It’s a bit thicker than cling film 😂
Mine cost approx £800 to have the front end done and then full ceramic coat was extra, including wheels, glass and interior.
All in all £1,800 for everything. Was worried I’d just blown a wad of cash on smoke and mirrors but actually, cleaning the car is a joy and the finish is always outstanding so warming to it now. PPF is peace of mind in the stone chips issue but wouldn’t bother having the whole car done, that’s just not necessary….
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:57 pm
Most of all the aesthetics of the chosen wheels would come way behind ease of them being cleaned, spyders are a sod to clean, each wheel now takes about 15 minutes and I end up soaked despite them being included in the treatment.
Very true! I chose my 20" SportDesign wheels simply because they looked very easy to clean, and they are - I can do all 4 in about 10 minutes.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m not a fan of PPF and have seen a few of the issues shown in this video on friends cars who had it done. Also, on a car where only the front was done it was quite obvious in sunlight.

Take a look before you commit to it is all I’d say.
Macan S MY 2023
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Skyway wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:04 pm I’m not a fan of PPF and have seen a few of the issues shown in this video on friends cars who had it done. Also, on a car where only the front was done it was quite obvious in sunlight.

Take a look before you commit to it is all I’d say.
Mmm, I think this is a slightly myopic view. Most good PPF comes with a multi year guarantee (mine is 10 years) and would be replaced FOC if any of these issues occur.
I would also refute your comment on how obvious it is, it is impossible to tell the difference on mine either in sunlight or not, and I know, I’ve checked 😂
I would think that the fact that it is a Porsche recommended option in the 911 spec sheet would mean it has some credence?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Barrie,

Personally def ceramic coat but PPF all depends on funds/mileage etc.

I’ve gone ceramic and very partial PPF. So PPF on gloss blacks areas and high touch points (inside handles, boot lip, gloss black side blades amongst others). Next step for PPF would be to add the bonnet personally.

I’d have to be doing mega miles and and have a lot of spare cash to go full PPF. I’ve had similar quotes in the past on some of the prices quoted above.
BarrieMc

Post by BarrieMc »

Partysausage wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:47 pm Barrie,

Personally def ceramic coat but PPF all depends on funds/mileage etc.

I’ve gone ceramic and very partial PPF. So PPF on gloss blacks areas and high touch points (inside handles, boot lip, gloss black side blades amongst others). Next step for PPF would be to add the bonnet personally.

I’d have to be doing mega miles and and have a lot of spare cash to go full PPF. I’ve had similar quotes in the past on some of the prices quoted above.
I used to 18000 a year more like 7-10000 now. Always had paint protection on any car I buy. Keeping the car looking good is my main priority and protecting it from dirt, bird crap and swirls.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNNTBH34
2018 A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Current
2017 A5 2.0 TDI Quattro (interim whilst waiting for above)
2011 A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
2006 A4 3.0 TDI Quattro
2004 A3 3.2 Quattro
1999 A3 1.8 T Sport
Was an Audi man as you can see :lol: