Torque vectoring PTV

All your ordering information here!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

BanZ wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:14 am
It would be great to hear from someone who has tried PTV/non PTV back to back but very few cars spec PTV.
My 2014 Turbo didn't have PTV. My 2016 Turbo did.
There were a few corner sequences (mini chicanes) I frequented that were definitely more confident with the later, especially when cold/wet, but you had to have PSM mostly off to notice really. PSM+ with PTV seemed to be a sweet spot. Fast exits from roundabouts felt more predictable on the throttle.

Of course, it could be the 2016 car was just better than the 2014. It also had 21" vs 19" wheels... and there's always the "I paid for it, so it must be working/good" aspect!

The PEC Turbo at Silverstone had it too and it was hard for me to notice the difference. The instructor was dismissive: "If you can't feel it, save your money." But then he also said his old Mini was better than anything Porsche do and was generally quite a poor salesman :-) (which is what the PEC visit is all about really).

If I had bought another Macan I'd have specced it again. As expensive/possibly pointless options go, it wasn't the most expensive!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Save your money and just have air, you're driving a 2 tonne suv on the queens highways not a 911 on a race circuit.
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Came with the Python pack for me so I’m back to back gen2(non ptv)/gen3(ptv).

Now the car is opening up a bit and being pushed more (1200miles) you can definitely feel it. Almost pulling you into the corner but sometimes pushing you around the corner as well. I find it quite hard to describe.

It does seem to kick in at lower speeds sometimes but that might just be my brain playing tricks.

I was always told basically if your planning on doing track days it’ll be beneficial if not don’t bother. I’d agree with that. Earlier comment about bad weather I don’t necessarily see the advantage of this as I was under the impression it operates at higher speeds. Happy to be told otherwise.

To answer a few questions…

- Would always spec air.
- Wouldnt spec PTV.
shaunyt0

Post by shaunyt0 »

Hi. with reference to Torque vectoring, my current vehicle and the last are both F Paces and they come with Torque Vectoring as standard, It does work quite well for such a large vehicle and goes round bends like it perhaps shouldnt be able too, the Jaguar system uses the rear inside brakes to pull the car in to a bend and is only active above certain speeds. The downside is you go through more rear pads.

I'm not sure how the Porsche system works but I'm under the impression there are two systems PTV and PTV+ 1 uses the brakes similar to Jaguar and the other uses a mixture of brakes and other electro mechanically controlled interventions through the differential to give more control, but id be surprised if the brakes wernt involved also as they are linked to the PSM which is linked to the PTV or PTV+

I drove the GTS on the Porsche experience day last week which I think had Torque vectoring. The car did seem to tuck in to bends really well almost pushed in to and around.
It was very impressive how it handled bends and especially chicanes.

If you like a spirited drive not just drag racing at traffic lights it is a good to have in my opinion.
Shaun T

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNGQ5LZ6

Current Python Green G3 GTS
Jaguar F Pace 300 Sport
Jaguar F Pace R Sport
Various Freelander's and Discovery's
goron59

Post by goron59 »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:17 pm Save your money and just have air, you're driving a 2 tonne suv on the queens highways not a 911 on a race circuit.
Very true, but funnily enough, based purely on sales figures, there may well be more Macan's on race circuits than 911s these days :lol:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I'm still on the fence with PTV+

In theory I want all the performance options, but there is so much confliction over whether it makes any difference on the Macan.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Do you think you would be able to tell if your Macan had PTV fitted?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

As I've said before - I drive my wifes very hard at time and we have a lot of roundabouts near me.

It does not need it
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Ahtos

Post by Ahtos »

I pushed it a bit in the past couples days just to see. Honestly, this is the one regret I have about some of the options I picked.
I am not sure why people think a CUV should be performing well in a corner. I enjoy the car overall but I didn't expect to outperform my Z in corners. I am not compare apple to apple...
I picked the option based on the people experience on the forum, however I don't think it is worth it. I believe it all depend how deep it's your pocket.
It is nice to have, if you have moneys to spare, I would option something else more useful.
It is definitely hard to gauge when the dealership doesn't have any thing for you to try.
I don't understand what people think the Macan is... I bought it because I can fit the dog in the trunk or the back seat and a decent drive compared to all the CUV.
I am hoping to get a GT3 for myself in the next few years and go crazy with the specs...
Does it takes corners well, absolutely compare to the Mazda 5 of my partner. Unfortunately, everything is relative...
Also, my understanding is some of us are thinking about resale value... I am keeping the car until I run it to the ground... My opinion might be biased...
I went for it because I could afford it, I would make a difference choice now that I tested it... We have a lot of snow in Canada and I am hopeful it will pay off.
If you are planning to track it go for it. If it is your daily drive, I am not sure it is worth it.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Kinda pointless in a AWD vehicle.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)